What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Strange but true!  (Read 5349 times)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Strange but true!
« on: October 13, 2007, 12:17:03 pm »
Here's a water condition that I've never encountered: water is cloudy and I have upkept the water.

I haven't used the spa much and I changed out the filter about a month ago, water is about 3 months old. I noticed it a little hazy the past couple of days and have thrown in 6 PPM chlorine a few days ago and 4.5 PPM today.

My assumptions are: 1) water is at that point of no return given it's age. Of course I screwed up my back so working on it at this point is out of the question. 2) The filter even though there was very little usage was dirty and wasn't cleaning properly or 3) a combo of both. The only other thing it could be was my son went into a public hot tub and he brought in hot tub itch bacteria and with the CYA so high it is thriving in the tub. My first thinking is 1.

I just wanted to post to let newbies know that anything can happen.

Hot Tub Forum

Strange but true!
« on: October 13, 2007, 12:17:03 pm »

Cyn

Re: Strange but true!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 12:31:30 pm »
How long do you usually go before changing your water?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2007, 01:17:02 pm »
Shock,run pump 20 min if chlorine test zero add 1 to 2 tblsp  then add 1 ta 2oz Bright-n-clear run pump 1 off and on for a while should get you through!  Watch ph/alk

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2007, 03:10:40 pm »
I actually goofed - my water is about 4 months old and I usually change out the water every 3 months.

As far as chlorine - I shocked with MPS this morning and added 4 1/2 PPM chlorine yesterday. After soaking and shocking with the MPS I took the PH and chlorine readings (not total as MPS will screw this test up) and my PH was at 7.4 and I still had at least 0.5 PPM chlorine from yesterday's dose. I don't think it's a bacteria thing and yes I did hit it with some Sea Klear clarifier.

As I mentioned in your thread yesterday, I have noticed that my water isn't as clear as it used to be. I am contributing it to being old and unresponsive. I hope to get through this coming week with my back hurting so I can soak and change the water next weekend.

After soaking my water actually looked worse than when I first got in ... YUCK!!!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 03:12:03 pm by Vinny »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2007, 03:13:52 pm »
Change the water!  Don't fight it. ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2007, 03:17:00 pm »
Change the water!  Don't fight it. ;)

If it wasn't for my back I would! I have no problems changing water but I would be moving a lot less than I currently am (which isn't much) and I would be taking much more pain medication ... maybe not a bad thing!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2007, 03:39:58 pm »
Have you been icing the back?  Stretching?? Then some heat more soaking than jet action or just low jet action.

Mojo sent for recovery,back pain sucks.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2007, 03:59:03 pm »
I haven't been icing but have tried stretching to some degree. Went to the Doc's and he said dounds like a spain. I'm taking Vicoden and it helps a little. Soaking relieves it as well. did it a coule times on Monday and a few during the week.

It seems to be worse in the morning and gets better during the day. I do need to sit straight and be able to move when that feels like crap.

Of course the fact that I'm overweight and out of shape doesn't help at all!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 04:04:10 pm by Vinny »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2007, 06:03:22 pm »
Vinny, do you ever check your TDS levels? When my water goes bad the next time I'm going to check my Total Dissolved Solids.

http://www.rhtubs.com/TDS.htm
« Last Edit: October 13, 2007, 06:04:34 pm by Gomboman »
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2007, 07:19:25 pm »
Actually I don't. I think that's the problem - 4 month old water and my TDS is probably very high. There really isn't an accurate way to check it.

I was trying to stretch the water until the end of Oct so that it will be OK for the winter. I'm actually going to buy a disposable for this winter and use the Spa Frog. Heck I might just go all out and put the ozonator on for 24/7. It's toward the end of it's life I'm sure so by Springtime I'll definately be ready for the new ozonator.

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2007, 10:12:24 pm »
Vinny....go get an icepack. I used one for 3 days this week....only relief I felt was when I was using it.  :-*

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2007, 09:35:57 am »
Vinny....go get an icepack. I used one for 3 days this week....only relief I felt was when I was using it.  :-*

MLG is correct! Ice for accute pain NOT HEAT!

It's perfectly fine to suggest a water change at X number of months as long as there's an understanding of the TDS of the source water and average usage of the spa.

Example: If the source water has a TDS under 400ppm and is used 3-5 times per week, 3-4 months would be the maximum I would go. This is NOT scientific by any means other than the fact that I tested tens of thousands of samples over the years given this repeated scenario.

TDS should be checked monthly and at 1500ppm, it should be drained due to the saturation of the water. Once it has reached this level, the water can no longer absorb products and you are now throwing good money after bad.

TDS can be checked by a local dealer in less than 5 seconds and although I haver never done it with anything than a true TDS meter, there are test strips available also. I'm unsure of the accuracy of these.

Steve
« Last Edit: October 14, 2007, 09:37:18 am by Steve »

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2007, 07:51:41 am »
Mine gets this way every now and then.  It seems the particles causing the cloudiness are too small for the filters to remove.  A little Sea-Klear 4 in 1 Clarifier usually does the trick for me

mike in arkansas

« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2007, 10:10:55 am »
Ahhh TDS. Thanks for the reference on TDS at the rhtubs website. I was excitied at first. They say

"TDS is based on the electrical conductivity (EC) of water. Pure H20 has virtually zero conductivity. Conductivity is usually about 100 times the total cations or anions expressed as equivalents. TDS is calculated by converting the EC by a factor of 0.5 to 1.0 times the EC, depending upon the levels. Typically, the higher the level of EC, the higher the conversion factor to determine the TDS. "

I thought I could just toss in a plugged in toaster and see how much conductivity there was (how quickly was my wife fried?).  :'(

Alas it seems like I will have to spend $50-150 to measure TDS. It seems like there is no other way to really measure TDS. Is it just easier to change water at 3 months or is it worth measuring to maximize water life?

Mike in Arkansas
who says I am senile?

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 11:03:16 am »

Is it just easier to change water at 3 months or is it worth measuring to maximize water life?

Mike in Arkansas

I would suggest to get your source water checked. It's dependant on your initial TDS and overall water balance as well as frequency of use. But yes...3-4 months is "average".

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2007, 11:03:16 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42