What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: recessing spa in deck  (Read 6265 times)

JoAnnC214

recessing spa in deck
« on: October 09, 2007, 09:33:03 pm »
Hi, I'm a newbie here and have enjoyed learning from the posts.  My husband and I ordered a 2007 Hot Spring Grandee this past weekend.  We will be building a mid-level deck (about 5' high) for the hot tub, adding on to an existing deck (about 9' high) that is at the second-story level of our house.  We are thinking of recessing the spa half-way into the new deck, mainly for ease in getting in and out.  We're in our late 50's and not as agile as we used to be.  We'll be meeting with the deck builder soon and I'd like to know if anyone has any opinions, advice or suggestions about lowering the height of the spa. Thanks!

Hot Tub Forum

recessing spa in deck
« on: October 09, 2007, 09:33:03 pm »

D.P. Roberts

Re: recessing spa in deck
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2007, 10:24:36 pm »
We recessed the tub halfway into the deck in our last house. It did make getting into and out of the tub a lot easier. I think it's a good idea.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

JoAnnC214

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2007, 10:31:58 pm »
Thanks so much for your reply..that's what I was hoping to hear!  Did recessing the spa present any problems for maintenance/repairs?

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2007, 10:56:51 pm »
We built a removable section of the deck right in front of the equipment bay. We just lifted that section - approx. 1'x4' - out of the way when we needed to access the equipment pack. Looking back on it, I think I would have put these removable sections on all sides of the tub. That would have given us easy access to any side in case repairs were needed. It also would have allowed us to remove the spa & install a different one without altering the deck - we just would have made new panels for it instead.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

ssbraun

• '05 Maxxus
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2007, 11:07:31 pm »
I figured out the deck height that would match the entry step height, so when I step in or out I am stepping onto the same level.  It wasn't quite half-way in the case of my tub.  I'm very happy with this arrangement as well!  Good luck and have fun planning out your setup  :)

Steve

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2007, 11:14:07 pm »
I figured out the deck height that would match the entry step height, so when I step in or out I am stepping onto the same level.  It wasn't quite half-way in the case of my tub.  I'm very happy with this arrangement as well!  Good luck and have fun planning out your setup  :)

Steve

My spa is also recessed to the height of the entry step inside the tub which is about twelve inches from the lip of the spa.  IMO, this is the easiest way to get in and out of a spa.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2007, 09:03:48 pm »
I did a partial tub recess and the top is about 23" off the deck. It is easy to swing our legs over the top and into the tub. The tub sits on it's own free standing deck and the main deck boards go around it.

The motors and electronics are easily accessable for the most part. The only problem is the area behind the filter, there is a therapy pump under the filter. Stupid me could have rotated the tub 90 degrees and everything would have been easily accessible.

JoAnnC214

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2007, 07:25:26 am »
Thank you everyone for your replies.  Vinny, that was a helpful photo.  That's what we were thinking of doing...the spa on it's own deck pad, surrounded by the main deck.  It will be at the lake end of a deck we are constructing out from the house so I don't think we'll have a problem about which way to orient it.  I'm hoping to avoid our own "DUH" smacking the forehead moment, but we usually end up doing that.  Any other "I wish I hadn't done things that way" cautions? Thanks again!  

Lars

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 10:30:54 am »
The other option is to just put it right on the deck and then build a raised area around it to suit.

Easier to change if you ever get a different spa or just want the deck back.  No hole left behind.

Work continues.  Been raining here.  But I have added a large set of steps.  ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2007, 10:30:54 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42