What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: help in choosing a new hot tub  (Read 3725 times)

bankrbill

help in choosing a new hot tub
« on: September 26, 2007, 12:06:29 am »
I need some help in choosing a new hot tub.  I have never owned one before.  I have found that each tub seems to be different and cant seem to make a decision.

I have looked at everyone sold here in Indianapolis.  I like the Jacuzzi J 335 and the Coleman 481.  Also Watsons has a private label tub made by Cal Spas that I really like.  I dont know the model number for that one.  But its 6500, has 60 jets, light kit, and stereo.

Any info or suggestions I sure would appreciate.

Thanks so much.

Hot Tub Forum

help in choosing a new hot tub
« on: September 26, 2007, 12:06:29 am »

Pathfinder

Re: help in choosing a new hot tub
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2007, 02:48:16 am »
Have you wet tested them yet??  If not that should decide for you which tub you will like

tinybubbles

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 10:31:26 am »
Unless I am mistaken, there are some fundamental differences between the coleman and jacuzzi.  The jacuzzi should have full foam insulation and a circulation pump.  Do some research and decide if either of those things are important to you.  While I liked the Coleman, I scratched it off my list because it was lacking those two things.  For you, that could be a plus.  And yes, do wet test!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2007, 11:26:07 am »
Your decision shouldn't come down to the "insulation method" as there are a few different ways to achieve excellent heat retension. If you are comparing major manufacturers, it will play a very minimal part.

Off the top of my head...

1) Determine what you want by asking questions and researching
2) Don't get caught up on marketing stuff
3) The 3 major fators in this purchase for long term benefit are COMFORT, THERAPY & VALUE.
4) Determine your budget
5) Go look at local dealers
6) Get in the tubs dry and move around to each seat.
7) Bring the entire family
8) Narrow your search to 2 or 3 spas
9) Wet test them with the family
10) Compare total costs including delivery and added options (ie. cover lifter, chemicals, etc.)
11) Determine comfort with your dealer and if they are going to look after you
12) Sit down with them and negotiate the best price
13) BUY IT AND ENJOY IT!!

and lastly and most importantly...

[size=24]DON'T READ ANY OF SOLO'S POSTS IN "HOW TO BUY A SPA"!!![/size]

You will require a whole different type of THERAPY if you do!

Good luck and be sure to use us as needed!

Steve
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:30:56 am by Steve »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2007, 11:32:16 am »

Off the top of my head...

1) Determine what you want by asking questions and researching
2) Don't get caught up on marketing stuff
3) The 3 major fators in this purchase for long term benefit are COMFORT, THERAPY & VALUE.
4) Determine your budget
5) Go look at local dealers
6) Get in the tubs dry and move around to each seat.
7) Bring the entire family
8) Narrow your search to 2 or 3 spas
9) Wet test them with the family
10) Compare total costs including delivery and added options (ie. cover lifter, chemicals, etc.)
11) Determine comfort with your dealer and if they are going to look after you
12) Sit down with them and negotiate the best price
13) BUY IT AND ENJOY IT!!

You must have a BIG head!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2007, 11:35:05 am »
I am certainly in proportion! ;)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2007, 11:35:45 am by Steve »

wedag

« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2007, 11:52:54 am »
STEVE YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2007, 12:03:14 pm »
STEVE YOU HIT THE NAIL ON THE HEAD!!!!

;)

tinybubbles

« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2007, 02:12:34 pm »
If nothing else, this post proves the old adage "different strokes for different folks".  I think it's unfair for you to say what someone's decision should or shouldn't come down too.  You yourself put value as one of the 3 major factors in a spa purchase.  It could be argued, and quite reasonably, that insulation of a spa as well as the use of a circulation pump effect it's long term value.  Would these be the sole issues that I myself would cosider?  No.  Would I make a decision without considering these factors?  No.  So Bankr, don't substitute anyone's judgement for your own.  We are just throwing out our own opinions and they might help you form your own.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2007, 10:27:18 pm »
If nothing else, this post proves the old adage "different strokes for different folks".  I think it's unfair for you to say what someone's decision should or shouldn't come down too.  You yourself put value as one of the 3 major factors in a spa purchase.  It could be argued, and quite reasonably, that insulation of a spa as well as the use of a circulation pump effect it's long term value.  Would these be the sole issues that I myself would cosider?  No.  Would I make a decision without considering these factors?  No.  So Bankr, don't substitute anyone's judgement for your own.  We are just throwing out our own opinions and they might help you form your own.

I understand your comment and I do believe it to be somewhat valid. I certainly wasn't implying that he follow my regime to the letter but rather (as I've done for many years here), offer advise based on experience.

Regarding insulation and filtration, would you agree that any major manufacturer provides decent filtration and that most all of those same manufacturers operate within similar costs in a given region?

The obvious answer to those questions is a resounding YES if you are somewhat familiar with the hot tub industry and if not, it would make an interesting debate in a new thread. I think most spa professionals would agree with the above, understanding that some do target and market their filtration and insulation in differing ways to sound more believable. Hundreds of thousands of dollars a year are spent on this very aspect of spa sales. A USP (unique selling position) is something every manufacturer strives for and ways on perfecting that marketing to the consumer to sound believable.

Marketing can have a substancial impact on how we "perceive" the value of given feature but in reality, most systems offer the end user a system that provides them with good filtration and reasonable energy costs. I doubt there's $10 per month difference in the top 10 spa manufacturers in operational costs...

For arguments sake, if you don't agree with this, please list the major manufacturer(s) that offer worse than average filtration (GPM filtered) and higher than average energy costs that is somewhat fact based.

Cheers,

Steve

mark 2550

« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2007, 11:06:42 pm »
Go for your gut instinct and research it and all will be well in spa land, just make sure it fits you wet as comfortable as dry and you'll never look back.

tinybubbles

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 10:30:04 am »
Steve, I hate to miss the opportunity for an interesting new thread, but I can't say that I disagree with you enough to start one.  I definately don't think this is a cut and dry issue.  I actually share your arguement, that for a backyard spa, either system will work fine keeping the water clean.  I leaned towards the circulation pump for other reasons.  Valid or not, I liked the thought of keeping the wear and tear off of the bigger, more expensive pumps.  I, also, think they are more energy efficient.  Either way, I don't think my power bill would have been a big issue.  But, it was something I considered.  Along the way, my gut kept telling me to go with full foam insulation.  I have a brother and sister with spas with full foam insulation, in very cold climates, and they have been very satisfied.  I tried to think about insulation and energy efficiency in other areas.  Wrapping hot water pipes is a good thing, so it seemed like the plumbing being encased in insulation would be a good thing on a spa.  When insulating walls, you don't leave a big gap of dead air space between the  outside wall and the interior wall.  You completely fill it with insulation.  They even have prefrabricated wall systems that come filled with foam insulation.  Last but not least, I liked the idea of the pipes being supported.  Those pipes are pretty heavy and it just seemed like it couldn't hurt.   I couldn't agree with you more about marketing.  I don't think that I am a person easily swayed by things like that.  I'd like to think I've been blessed with a healthy dose of common sense.  I tried hard to apply logic to my decisions.  This very well may have led to me to "overthinking" some issues.   In reality, I don't think we are that far off in our thinking.  I'm just, by nature, an over analyzer.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2007, 10:30:04 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42