What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Is my tub leaking or is it from the cover lifter?  (Read 8205 times)

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Is my tub leaking or is it from the cover lifter?
« on: September 25, 2007, 09:24:45 am »
this may be a newbie question..

I just hooked up my 2005 Sundance Altamar that I bought used.  It is in my 2-car garage on the cement floor.  I have a cover lifter..

thing is.. I noticed that when I put the cover lifter up and soak in the tub with all the jets on, when I get out of the tub, the floor at the rear of the tub (where the cover lifter is up in the air), well it's wet there and I can feel water on the cement ground and also water up against the wood foundation underneath the spa.  No where else on any of the other sides is there water on the floor.

My question is.. is this water caused from condensation running DOWN the cover being that it is in the vertical position and then it just drips on the floor?  or could it be a leak?

Is it okay for water to be sitting up against the wood foundation on the back of the tub (I looked under and the foundation is just 2x4's)

Hot Tub Forum

Is my tub leaking or is it from the cover lifter?
« on: September 25, 2007, 09:24:45 am »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: Is my tub leaking or is it from the cover lift
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 09:37:50 am »
this may be a newbie question..

I just hooked up my 2005 Sundance Altamar that I bought used.  It is in my 2-car garage on the cement floor.  I have a cover lifter..

thing is.. I noticed that when I put the cover lifter up and soak in the tub with all the jets on, when I get out of the tub, the floor at the rear of the tub (where the cover lifter is up in the air), well it's wet there and I can feel water on the cement ground and also water up against the wood foundation underneath the spa.  No where else on any of the other sides is there water on the floor.

My question is.. is this water caused from condensation running DOWN the cover being that it is in the vertical position and then it just drips on the floor?  or could it be a leak?

Is it okay for water to be sitting up against the wood foundation on the back of the tub (I looked under and the foundation is just 2x4's)

Most likely condensation from the cover.  This sounds normal.  The water should be OK on the floor...these are meant to be outside and should last for many, many years.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2007, 09:41:27 am »
It's very possible that your cover is dripping, especially if that's the only place you're seeing water, and if it co-incides with you opening the cover.  
 If the spa was leaking, you'd see water even if you left the cover closed for days at a time, and you'd likely see some water inside the spa by removing the service bay cover.

The wood frame of your spa is pressure treated, but I'd not like my spa in constant contact with any standing water.  Over time it'll affect that wood.  
Brewman

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2007, 09:44:52 am »
yeah I actually had a cup sitting on the floor UNDER the cover when the cover is lifted, and I noticed that the cup filled up about 1 inch with water after about a 30 minute soak.  So I guess the only way water could of gotten into the cup was to drip down from the cover.

if you have a leak what is it like?  do you see a bunch of water coming out from the side of your spa?  or could it be just a tiny little drip?  how often do these spas leak?

Thanks

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2007, 11:45:26 am »

You could lay an old sheet or rags under the cover to catch any water that drips from the cover, that way it won't be laying on the floor and run into the wood of the hot tub.  I use and old sheet and that works well.  My tub is in my screened in patio so I like to keep it dry.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2007, 11:48:37 am »
One of my customers attached a length of gutter on the back of his spa.  He had it at a slight angle to drain into a bucket and then he would pour the water back into the spa after his soak.

Terminator
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

tonyp

• Soaking in a HS Envoy!
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2007, 12:17:31 pm »
Run the jets with the cover on.  If you see the same wet area it's most likely a leak.  Otherwise it's just the cover.

96SC

« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2007, 12:55:00 pm »
yeah I actually had a cup sitting on the floor UNDER the cover when the cover is lifted, and I noticed that the cup filled up about 1 inch with water after about a 30 minute soak.  

Thanks

One inch of condensate sounds like a lot from the cover, whether it's 30 minute soak or 3 hour soak.  Definately check for leaks. IMO.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2007, 01:18:42 pm »
How long can I keep the cover on and run both pumps on high AND the air blower for?  Doesn't the air need to vent out of the tube somewhere?  if the cover is on then what happens?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2007, 01:30:35 pm »
Pumps and blower should run 20 min or so and shut off on there own. All that happens when the cover is on you will build up moisture underneath it some will vent out at the hindge of the cover but not much, you want to leave the cover open when adding chems,  shock is one of the worse ones.   Is your #1 pump a 1 spd or 2spd ??

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 01:43:01 pm »
Pump 1 is a two speed, Pump 2 is a one speed.

I was more concerned with the air blower being on while the cover is on becuase you are sucking in all this air into the tub and blowing it out through the water, so if the cover was on, where could all that air go?

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 01:58:36 pm »
 You could run the blower and it would be fine,but why would you??  When adding chems just run pump 1 on low speed.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 01:58:36 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42