What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What electrical requirements do I need for my spa?  (Read 6932 times)

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
What electrical requirements do I need for my spa?
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:37:43 pm »
I just bought a 2005 Sundance Altamar used, with only one season of use on it.  (it's been drained for the last 9 months).  I live in NJ btw.

I am going to be putting this hottub in my garage, and was wondering what electrical requirements this tub needs for full power operation with all motors on?

I was thinking a 50amp breaker with 10/2 wire running about 50ft long.  Would this be enough or do I need a fatter guage wire?

btw.. I got the spa, cover, lifter, and steps for $2,800

Thanks

Hot Tub Forum

What electrical requirements do I need for my spa?
« on: September 19, 2007, 11:37:43 pm »

mark 2550

Re: What electrical requirements do I need for my
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 11:51:12 pm »
wow what an incredible price for an almost new spa why not ask the people who you purchased it from or better yet see if they are willing to sell you there box and (gfic) breaker if so just match it up to your breaker box. If its a 50 amp system I believe 6/3 or 6/4 wire would be the norm depending on how it's wired up in the control panel if when in doubt have a proffessional do it.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 11:54:15 pm by mark_2550 »

JJWP

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2007, 07:22:21 am »
Congrats on the tub.......thats a great buy...
A qualified electrician will be able to advise you as to what you will need to get your tub up and running.

But FYI ........your tub runs on 220V, and he will need to install either a 40A , 50A or a 60A GFI circuit breaker in your existing electrical panel to get power to your tub depending on how you want your tub to perform.
This is what this means to you....
If you connect using a :
40A Breaker......In this configuration, the heater will not operate while either jet pumps are running or when the blower is running.
50A Breaker......In this configuration, the heater will not operate while both jet pumps are running.
60A Breaker......In this Configuration the heater WILL operate while both jet pumps are and the blower are running.

Check your electrical panel to see that you have two open spots available for your new circuit breakers to be installed. If not a small sub panel can be added next to your existing panel to allow the new dedicated circuit for your tub. If you decide to go with the 60amp GFI circuit breaker or GFI disconnect this will allow you to run all of your tubs pumps and heater at the same time.

Your electrician also needs to install a disconnect switch, it is reguired and will be installed outside in the general location of your tub  ( at least five feet from your tub ). Please keep in mind that that what I described above are general installation methods

I would also check on the SUNDANCE web page I am sure they have instruction and wiring diagrams specifically for your tub.  

I am counting the minutes........as my J365 is scheduled for delivery tomorrow........

Good luck and happy soaking..........

squale

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2007, 07:42:38 am »
okay I will do a 60amp breaker, what type of wire do I need?  I have to run the wire about 50 foot.

Thanks

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2007, 08:25:04 am »
okay I will do a 60amp breaker, what type of wire do I need?  I have to run the wire about 50 foot.

Thanks

I think you need some professional electric advise here and should get a licensed electrician to look at your situation.  From what I understand you need #6 THHN wire for a normal install, no Romex.  If you are changing the amperage from what the previous owner used, you must change your jumper settings on the control board.  The factory preset is 50 amps.  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2007, 08:29:28 am »
A 60 amp breaker would be used to protect 6 gauge wire.  Regardless if you set this spa to run on 40, 50, or 60 amps, use the 6 gauge.   40 amps can work on 8 gauge but you might as well put in the 6 in case you change your mind, or replace the spa in the future.  

If your spa is like mine, it doesn't require a 4 wire setup.  You'd need 2 "hot" leads and an insulated ground to meet code.  Romex cable doesn't have an insulated ground, and therefore doesn't meet code- but it may be allowed in some areas in some installations.  

And double check the wire requirements to that spa.  Most, but not all Premium Sundance spas don't need the neutral- but a few do.  Be sure to find the wiring requirements for your exact spa.  That information can be found on Sundance's website for spas going back several years.

And also find out the specific electric requirements in your locale so you meet code.

Brewman

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 07:18:17 pm »
You can read all the Sundance Pre-Delivery Guides and Owner's Manuals here: http://sundancespas.com/CustomerCare/Manuals.php
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2007, 07:18:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42