What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: D1 overheat prob  (Read 6522 times)

Lars

D1 overheat prob
« on: September 18, 2007, 12:15:55 pm »
Have a used 1998 Arena that I just installed.

Pumps run for a while, then shut off, and I get the "OH" on the display.  Temp is still exactly where set when system resets.

I suspect the pump/motor itself is either overheating or the temp probe on the heater is tripping it due to the pump/motor not running.

Anyone have any ideas or troubleshooting tips?

Hot Tub Forum

D1 overheat prob
« on: September 18, 2007, 12:15:55 pm »

Lars

Re: D1 overheat prob
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2007, 10:07:51 am »
Ok, think I have it narrowed down to the circulation pump.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2007, 04:44:13 pm »
Ok, think I have it narrowed down to the circulation pump.

I guess we were pretty helpful here ;).  You might try posting over at rhtubs.com.  Its getting very technical there.

Lars

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 05:37:13 pm »
Heh, well I only stumped 71 of you.

Seems it's the small 24 hour 65 watt circ pump.  Still works, just doesn't push enough water, so the temp probe on the heater shuts er down.  

I can either move temp probe further down the heater line and live with a failing pump (easy), or replace pump ($215).

Think I'll try moving the probe first.  ;)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2007, 05:48:27 pm »
Heh, well I only stumped 71 of you.

Seems it's the small 24 hour 65 watt circ pump.  Still works, just doesn't push enough water, so the temp probe on the heater shuts er down.  

I can either move temp probe further down the heater line and live with a failing pump (easy), or replace pump ($215).

Think I'll try moving the probe first.  ;)

That certainly makes sense sorry I didn't chime in. Have you thought about opening up the pump to see if there is some kind of obstruction (i.e. hair).
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Lars

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2007, 05:58:34 pm »
Just filled it, really trying to avoid draining it.

But if I have too, I will.  Thanks for the tip on looking for a clog, never really considered that one.  Figure it was just age.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2007, 06:16:13 pm »
 Hows the filter I know you may say you just cleaned it but if I had a dollar for every time I heard that, I wouldnt be here.   Sounds like a flow restriction from that??  And its probably a high limit not a temp sensor??  Have you tried it with the filter removed?? Any change in flow??

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 07:13:39 pm »
Hows the filter I know you may say you just cleaned it but if I had a dollar for every time I heard that, I wouldnt be here.   Sounds like a flow restriction from that??  And its probably a high limit not a temp sensor??  Have you tried it with the filter removed?? Any change in flow??

Absolutely true. I've seen this problem on spas with older filters where they've cleaned the filter and it looks ok after cleaning but you replace it with a new filter and voila, problem solved!!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 11:53:59 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 10:33:44 pm »
I always advise people getting used tubs to replace the filter.  After all, what does the filter do?

I don't care where they get the filter.  I just think they will have a better experience with their own filter instead of someone else's. ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Lars

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2007, 10:52:25 am »
It appears the circ pump is totally dead.  What I mistook for its circulation was the big pump pushing bubbles on low during its cycle.

btw, put in a new filter of course.  The old one was rather ragged.

Question - the hoses are held on with automotive type clamps.  Is there some type on sealant used on the hoses?  Looks like a pretty easy replacement job.  Also, the main pump sounds pretty gravelly on high.  Bearings might be going on that too.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2007, 12:37:43 pm »
It appears the circ pump is totally dead.  What I mistook for its circulation was the big pump pushing bubbles on low during its cycle.

btw, put in a new filter of course.  The old one was rather ragged.

Question - the hoses are held on with automotive type clamps.  Is there some type on sealant used on the hoses?  Looks like a pretty easy replacement job.  Also, the main pump sounds pretty gravelly on high.  Bearings might be going on that too.

Most hoses are held on with hose clamps or the spring type ones,not sure how D1 does it but neither Jacuzzi or Sundance use any type of glue.  As far as the pump it does sound like a bearing issue??

Lars

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 02:11:44 pm »
Sounds like it to me, but hard to tell.  Could be the impellor too.  Or something else grinding along. But one problem at a time.  ;)

Found a good company for D1 parts and ordered a new pump.  Phil walked me through a hard reset of the pump circuitry over the phone, which if it would have worked, would have got me off free.  Got to like that in a company.

http://www.easyspaparts.com/index.asp

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2007, 02:11:44 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42