What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 3 or 4 most common spa repairs?  (Read 3679 times)

solo

3 or 4 most common spa repairs?
« on: September 17, 2007, 09:06:14 am »
If something is going to break on a spa (and all machines do eventually), what are the most common repairs?

Leaks?

circ pump?

Ozonoators?

Hot Tub Forum

3 or 4 most common spa repairs?
« on: September 17, 2007, 09:06:14 am »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
Re: 3 or 4 most common spa repairs?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2007, 09:18:37 am »
If something is going to break on a spa (and all machines do eventually), what are the most common repairs?

Leaks?

circ pump?

Ozonoators?

With this list, leaks aren't even on the chart.  Small circ pumps (not high flow circ pumps), will have a limited life and you can expect to change it every so often.  They tend to be easy fixes and not very expensive.

Ozonators, by their nature, can be troublesome and most manufacturers only warrant them for one or two years.  Depending on the type, you may have to replace a chip yearly or with others, the ozonator lasts a number of years and needs to be replaced after that.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 09:21:17 am by tony »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2007, 10:29:59 am »

Leaks?

circ pump?

Ozonoators?

IMO... in no certain order

1) heater element
2) High limit switch
3) Flow switch

I'm sure there's other opinions and techs could answer better...
Leaks rarley happen, ozonators should get a couple years and then it's only a chip replacement, pumps should get 8-10 years or more.

Most of the more common repairs is determined by water quality. Acidic water can prematurely age componants.

solo

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2007, 10:34:40 am »
In general, how much does it cost the consumer to replace the chip on an ozonator?  I am considering ozone and want to weigh the benefits versus the cost.

I'm sure the price will vary model to model and dealer to dealer.  But if you were someone like me that can't fix anything, how much would I have to spend (ballpark figure) on the part and the labor to replace the chip on the ozonator every 2 years?  

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2007, 10:52:29 am »
In general, how much does it cost the consumer to replace the chip on an ozonator?  I am considering ozone and want to weigh the benefits versus the cost.

I'm sure the price will vary model to model and dealer to dealer.  But if you were someone like me that can't fix anything, how much would I have to spend (ballpark figure) on the part and the labor to replace the chip on the ozonator every 2 years?  

Costs vary with the many types of units out there but here's my opinion on ozone.

Cost $300-$400
Chip replacement (not needed on all units) $100-150
Savings associated with ozone when considering watercare product costs? WHO KNOWS?

My question is what is the payback period? If I know ozone is going to cost me approx $500 over a 2 year period in the upfront cost and upkeep, will I save more than that in chemical costs? I can tell you it won't and it's the reason I'm not sold on ozone. It helps but no one knows how much exactly and perfect water can be achieved without one as well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2007, 10:52:55 am by Steve »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2007, 11:26:55 am »

Costs vary with the many types of units out there but here's my opinion on ozone.

Cost $300-$400
Chip replacement (not needed on all units) $100-150
Savings associated with ozone when considering watercare product costs? WHO KNOWS?

My question is what is the payback period? If I know ozone is going to cost me approx $500 over a 2 year period in the upfront cost and upkeep, will I save more than that in chemical costs? I can tell you it won't and it's the reason I'm not sold on ozone. It helps but no one knows how much exactly and perfect water can be achieved without one as well.

Ozone is not there to save you money so if someone is a penny pincher (no offense intended) then skipping ozone isn't such a bad idea. However, IMO ozone definitely will help you with your water management and having dealt with many cases where people struggle with water care that don't have ozone I can tell you they all wish to have it. I’ve told the story many times that I've gone out to people's homes to deal with water care issues only to find their ozone inoperable SOOO many times that it alone is what convinced me of its use (typically a kinked hose or bad check valve being the culprit).

You can do without ozone; it just makes life easier. You have to decide if it's worth it to you. Yes, you can always add it later.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2007, 11:13:33 pm »

Ozone is not there to save you money so if someone is a penny pincher (no offense intended) then skipping ozone isn't such a bad idea. However, IMO ozone definitely will help you with your water management and having dealt with many cases where people struggle with water care that don't have ozone I can tell you they all wish to have it. I’ve told the story many times that I've gone out to people's homes to deal with water care issues only to find their ozone inoperable SOOO many times that it alone is what convinced me of its use (typically a kinked hose or bad check valve being the culprit).

You can do without ozone; it just makes life easier. You have to decide if it's worth it to you. Yes, you can always add it later.

I've gone out to people's homes to deal with water care issues only to find their water management skills SUCK!  ;)

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2007, 01:51:02 am »

I've gone out to people's homes to deal with water care issues only to find their water management skills SUCK!  ;)

Agree, another reason they could use ozone!!!

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2007, 09:01:31 am »

Agree, another reason they could use ozone!!!

Give a consumer a ozonator and they could have good water for weeks but teach them the skills to manage watercare balancing and they will have good water forever!
(or sumptin like that) ;D

Steve

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 11:01:39 am »

Give a consumer a ozonator and they could have good water for weeks but teach them the skills to manage watercare balancing and they will have good water forever!
(or sumptin like that) ;D

Steve

OK, that was a good comeback but I can't emphasize enough the fact that chicks dig 24/7 ozone.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2007, 11:02:16 am by Spatech_tuo »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2007, 11:01:39 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42