What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Tiger River Bengal with 7 Month Old Water  (Read 4755 times)

golferm

• Tiger River Bengal Owner
Tiger River Bengal with 7 Month Old Water
« on: September 14, 2007, 12:52:12 pm »
For those considering a Watkins product (Hot Spring, Tiger River, Hot Spot, etc), I can't speak highly enough of the the Tiger River Bengal's filtration.  No, I don't work for, or get money from Watkins.  We purchased the Bengal in September '06.

I put new water in my Bengal in mid February.  I'm completely anal about tub cleanliness, including water clarity, etc., so I'm the first guy to drain and re-fill whenever necessary.

I've continued to check the TDS and it's still fine.  I'm sure that I'll change it out for the sake of doing it here shortly, but it's been remarkable how well the water has done.  I use Spa Guard filter cleaner once every couple of months, and spray out the filters every other week.

We were away for 4 different periods over summer, including one 10 day holiday, and one 7 day holiday, and both times, coming back, the water was as clear as ever.

We have been back to 2-3 times per week now in fall, but over summer, it was more like once per week usage.

For what it's worth....

Mark

Hot Tub Forum

Tiger River Bengal with 7 Month Old Water
« on: September 14, 2007, 12:52:12 pm »

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Tiger River Bengal with 7 Month Old Water
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 01:12:08 pm »
Just out of curiosity, what is the TDS now and what does your source water TDS start at?

golferm

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2007, 11:24:21 am »
Hi Steve,

Not exactly sure where its at now.  However, I do know that I still get response from chemicals when I put them in.  Typically, in my last tub (Jacuzzi) I would reach a point where chemicals kind of did nothing.  

I didn't have the water checked when it was put in.

Mark

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2007, 12:18:35 pm »
Am I correct in my understanding that the Tiger River spas do not utilize the same 100% no bypass filtration system that the HotSprings spas use?

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2007, 02:39:58 pm »
What primary sanitizer do you use?

I personally think that as long as you owned a spa by one of the major players you would have had similar results as there's nothing utilized by Tiger River Spas that makes it superior to the other brands filtration.

Spiderman

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2007, 05:12:29 pm »
Am I correct in my understanding that the Tiger River spas do not utilize the same 100% no bypass filtration system that the HotSprings spas use?

Right, Tiger River Spas have a 65sq ft filter with suction fittings with 100% no-bypass circulation pump filtration.  With jets running, water is by-passed like every other tub on the market, except of course Hot Spring Spas.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2007, 09:09:20 am »

Right, Tiger River Spas have a 65sq ft filter with suction fittings with 100% no-bypass circulation pump filtration.  With jets running, water is by-passed like every other tub on the market, except of course Hot Spring Spas.

Thanks.  IMO, Watkins products are among the very best engineered spas on the market.

I change my water every four months max whether it seems to need it or not.  Most times I feel like it is not needed and my water can go much longer, but I am always amazed how different new water is.  There is nothing like new water. :)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2007, 09:11:48 am by tony »

solo

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2007, 08:57:57 am »
My sales guy swears by making everyone shower before they enter the spa.  He only changed his water one time last year after something like 10 months fo daily use.  

I would imagine that many things will impact how frequently you need to change your water like:

1.  The total disolved solid baseline level of the water coming out of your hose
2.  How many people and how often you use the spa
3.  The skin oil level of the users and perfumes, detrgents, etc
4.  Proper water maintenacne such as filtratiomn, chemicals, and circulation
5.  Ozone.  I bet using ozone will extend water life a certain amount

On average, what I have heard is that most peoiple shoudl change their water every 3-4 months.  I do not yet own a spa, so this is all from what I have gathered on-line and from my sales reps.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2007, 09:13:25 am »
My sales guy swears by making everyone shower before they enter the spa.  He only changed his water one time last year after something like 10 months fo daily use.  

I would imagine that many things will impact how frequently you need to change your water like:

1.  The total disolved solid baseline level of the water coming out of your hose
2.  How many people and how often you use the spa
3.  The skin oil level of the users and perfumes, detrgents, etc
4.  Proper water maintenacne such as filtratiomn, chemicals, and circulation
5.  Ozone.  I bet using ozone will extend water life a certain amount

On average, what I have heard is that most peoiple shoudl change their water every 3-4 months.  I do not yet own a spa, so this is all from what I have gathered on-line and from my sales reps.

This sounds like sales BS to me.  Almost anyone can go ten months without changing water but why?  Your water will start to deteriorate from day one of your water change.  New water is like heaven.  You get so used to the water over time that you don't even realize how bad its become.  If I had to shower every time I used the spa before I got in, I would never use it.  I don't know if ozone extends water life, but bacteriacide enzyme users tend to get a long life from their water.

dkersten

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2007, 11:19:11 am »
I got my tiger river bengal in August of 06, and my first water change was in late October.. I could have gone another month but it was starting to get below 32 every day by then.  In the winter I was using it every day, once summer hit I was using it maybe 3-4 times per month.  I did a water change at the beginning of July, my 3rd since purchase, and on the 4th I had a party, and about 20 kids were in the tub throughout the day.. I shocked hard that night, but after 3 weeks of fighting chem imbalance, foam, cloudy water, and slimy walls, I changed the water again.. At one point I went 2 weeks without using it, after a shock, it was 100+ degrees every day, and when I opened it I could not see the bottom of the tub.. it was that cloudy.. So I changed the water and scrubbed down the interior.  It was great until the kids used it again and then I was fighting cloudy water and foaming again.  (my kids dont use conditioners or lotions, they are just.. dirty I guess).

My opinion is, it is all about who uses the tub and how often.  My first water change was around 3 months and by then the alkaline was high and the PH was low.. It was easier to do a water change than to fight it.  

I have to agree with whoever it was that said fresh water was the way to go.. My favorite soaks are right after a water change..

104 degrees

« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2007, 11:40:17 am »
I got my tiger river bengal in August of 06, and my first water change was in late October.. I could have gone another month but it was starting to get below 32 every day by then.  In the winter I was using it every day, once summer hit I was using it maybe 3-4 times per month.  I did a water change at the beginning of July, my 3rd since purchase, and on the 4th I had a party, and about 20 kids were in the tub throughout the day.. I shocked hard that night, but after 3 weeks of fighting chem imbalance, foam, cloudy water, and slimy walls, I changed the water again.. At one point I went 2 weeks without using it, after a shock, it was 100+ degrees every day, and when I opened it I could not see the bottom of the tub.. it was that cloudy.. So I changed the water and scrubbed down the interior.  It was great until the kids used it again and then I was fighting cloudy water and foaming again.  (my kids dont use conditioners or lotions, they are just.. dirty I guess).

I had the same thing this past summer in the 100 + Degree weather. The cloudy water was due to the filter not running because it was so hot. I added more clorine and bumped up the filter cycle's and that worked.

The foaming is Soap in the swim suites :'(.

John

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
Jacuzzi is BETTER than HS because I go 9 months!
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2007, 11:40:23 am »
 ;D  Just kidding, they are both equal but the reality is that I typically go 7 to 9 months before changing water.  During the ENTIRE time, the water is VERY easy to maintain.  I use D-Chlor only and am the primary user.  My boys get into it every once in a while but I do not have any complications with oils or lotions as my wife uses it sparingly.  Bottom line is that water quality is not PRIMARILY dependent upon the Spa filtration but rather are PRIMARILY dependent upon the user/owner experience.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

golferm

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 12:33:01 pm »
just to confirm, water coming out of the tap is 300 PPM TDS.  I will change before winter hits to get that fresh water feeling, which I also love.

I use Spa Guard Bromine Concentrate, plus the other products from this line.

Mark

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2007, 12:33:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42