What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: OK...I am making an offer in the next week  (Read 9677 times)

solo

OK...I am making an offer in the next week
« on: September 14, 2007, 09:06:00 am »
If you've followed my posts, you know that I have settled on one fo 2 spas:  The Sundance Hamilton (700 series, 400 gallon tub) and the Hot Springs Sovereign (355 gallon tub).

Sundance Price:  $6895

HotSprings Price:  $6995

This isn't necessarily about pricing and which tub is better though.  I am wet testing each tub in the next week (visits already scheduled) and will offer the one I like best.  

My question is this:  Would you ask for any additional freebies for paying cash/check?  The hotsprings dealer will throw in the cover lifter already if you pay cash/check.  The Sundance Dealer hasn't offered any freebies.  The Sundance Spa does not come with an ozonator.  I am thinking to ask for the either the lifter, the ozonator, or both with a cash offer.

Paying cash saves the dealer the 2-3% they would give to the credit card which is $140-200.

Thoughts?

My theory is that it can't hurt to ask and that most dealers are more likely to give freebies than drop the price further.  

Hot Tub Forum

OK...I am making an offer in the next week
« on: September 14, 2007, 09:06:00 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: OK...I am making an offer in the next week
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2007, 11:06:27 am »
You are right on regarding the reasonable value of a cash discount vs. credit card and that dealers would typically prefer the freebie vs. lowering the price.

It sounds like HS is already throwing in lifter for cash price.

Good luck. ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2007, 11:50:15 am »
The hotsprings dealer will throw in the cover lifter already if you pay cash/check.  

My theory is that it can't hurt to ask and that most dealers are more likely to give freebies than drop the price further.  

Since one dealer has already indicated he'd sweeten the deal if you paid cash then I'd certainly ask the second dealer.

You're right, it never hurts to ask. Some will not do it, some will not but nobody will have issue with you asking because that gets requested fairly often.

220, 221, whatever it takes!

RK23

« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2007, 01:53:10 pm »
Solo, you're certainly correct about the 3% savings to the dealer.  If you wind up choosing the Sundance, my suggestion would be to ask the dealer for the freebie.  If he says no, then if you have a credit card with cash back/rewards, you can always use the credit card...

Out of curiosity, what IS included in the prices you were quoted on each side?

solo

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2007, 03:55:27 pm »
Included:

Hot Springs...Spa, cover, steps, starter pack on chemicals.  If you pay cash, they throw in the cover lifter.

Sundance..Spa, cover steps, starter pack of chemicals.  No cash offer.  This spa does not have an ozonator (but does have 2 pumps where the HS has only 1).  

Presently leaning towards the Sundance, but I want the ozonator and the Cover lifter thrown in.  That sales rep isn't high on ozonators and I don't think they are really needed, but it's just something I kind of want.  
« Last Edit: September 14, 2007, 08:19:20 pm by solo »

Vanguard

« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2007, 07:04:41 pm »
Keep in mind, the Hot Spring price also includes your electrical subpanel.  More than likely, the Sundance does not.  I'd check into that as well.  A box at Home Depot can run around $100 - $150.  
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2007, 07:27:42 pm »
One of the reasons they include (if they cant sell it to them first) the sub panel is because you cant buy them any where that I know of, could be wrong, or can you buy such a thing at Lowes/Home depot?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2007, 08:07:40 pm »
One of the reasons they include (if they cant sell it to them first) the sub panel is because you cant buy them any where that I know of, could be wrong, or can you buy such a thing at Lowes/Home depot?

Any electrician can fabricate the sub panel.  It is included because so many homeowners think they know what they are doing, ignore the pre-delivery instructions and buy the cheap box at the mass merchant.  Then they are disappointed when they cannot wire it.

guess whose fault it is! >:(

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2007, 08:23:05 pm »
You'll never know until you ask the other dealer....sounds like both prices are well with in lines of other'sposted here on this forum. good luck.

In Canada eh

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2007, 08:29:12 pm »

Jim,

I'm not sure about the US market but, here in Canada Home Depot sells both Siemens and Square D GFCI breaker panels for spas,  prices range from $125 to $250 pending size.
Bullfrog 451

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2007, 09:14:12 pm »

Jim,

I'm not sure about the US market but, here in Canada Home Depot sells both Siemens and Square D GFCI breaker panels for spas,  prices range from $125 to $250 pending size.
I am guessing those are the standard 50 amp spa breaker panels.  Hot Spring requires a box with a 30 amp and a 20 amp breaker.  50 amps from the main, then it splits.

In Canada eh

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2007, 09:18:00 pm »
Never Mind :-[

You Hot Springs guys just gotta be difficult eh ;)

Bullfrog 451

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2007, 09:23:09 pm »
Hey Canada eh,
    Is it not cold enough to be soakin'????  ;D ;D ;D
HS guy's are touchy....HS gal's are worse.... ;)

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2007, 09:42:24 pm »
A 60 amp Hot tub Panel at Lowes is $80 here in the STL. That was $35 cheaper than my friend who is an IBEW electrician could get it for through his employer's distributor. It was the exact same thing.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 01:15:28 am »
Although 60amp boxes can be had at the Home Improvement stores, isn't the point here that the 60amp panel from these places won't work with the Hot Springs due to it's "different" wiring, right?  If so, do you run two sets of wires to a Hot Springs if they DON"T include the panel?  If so, then it seems that Hot Springs almost HAS to include the panel (in order to be apples-to-apples) with the Sun Dance, right?
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2007, 01:15:28 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42