What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Must I pour a cement slab?  (Read 13156 times)

96SC

Re: Must I pour a cement slab?
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 04:43:54 pm »
I was going to ask the exact same question as the origanal poster. I am literally 5 minutes removed from getting a quote of $1500 for a conrete slab. . He wants to use 2x6's and re-bar. Its a 9'x11' slab. I was thinking somewhere around $600 would be about right using 2x4s and no re-bar.

What do you guys think about the idea of no re-bar and using 2x4s? Im up for considering crushed granite or some other alternative. I need to act soon. My spa is ready for delivery once I get my act together.

If you live in a warm climate part of the country a no rebar patio will do.  We were having a patio poured and didn't see rebar in the 'hole'.  I asked some of the engineers at work about it.  Their suggestion was that if the patio isn't too large, ours was 16x16 and they used figerlass reinforced concrete it would be fine, but as I somewhat eluded to, we live in the south where there isn't much ground buckling.  We have 6" of concrete under the spar area.
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2007, 04:43:54 pm »

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2007, 11:52:14 pm »
[quote: Hand tamp or vibrating plate tamp]

Thanks Chad, I was having a part-timers moment.  :-[

Tom

« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2007, 03:47:14 pm »
My Hot Springs dealer told me that if I used a "Forever Floor" he would NOT be responsible for future problems, and may void the warranty.
"Forever Floor" is a registered trade mark of Arctic Spas.  I believe this poster may be referring to any of a variety of ground mats.  We are currently researching these for their effectiveness with our product.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 03:47:43 pm by Graybeard »

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2007, 09:44:51 pm »
Ooop's sorry for using a "trademark" name.....it's like Kleenex and Xerox....just becomes part of the nomenclature. I was referring to the Spa pad's used under the spa for a base....Sorry for using a brand name insted of the venacular term.  ;)

Tom

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2007, 03:33:40 pm »
Ooop's sorry for using a "trademark" name.....it's like Kleenex and Xerox....just becomes part of the nomenclature. I was referring to the Spa pad's used under the spa for a base....Sorry for using a brand name insted of the venacular term.  ;)

Well,  you're certainly forgiven.  And it's sure great to be lumped in with big brands like kleenex and xerox!   8-)

Apocryphal story from our UK distributor is that "Arctic Spa" is becoming as generic over the pond as Jacuzzi is in America.  He claims he heard a neighbor say, "I got a new arctic spa in my garden." When he asked what model, neighbor said, "Oh, it's a Jacuzzi."     >:(    :D :D

But to get back on topic, No, Solo, you do not necessarily need a concrete pad.  Many feel that this provides the best base, but there are alternatives  that you can consider.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2007, 10:49:28 am by Graybeard »

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2007, 04:13:46 pm »
I put in a 8' by 8' 4-inch deep concrete with NO rebar in mine.  I am in Charlotte, NC and although it does get below freezing here (about 3 times a year), I have had no cracking or breaking issues at all.  Cost was $700 and included the Circuit breaker work from a local handyman 4 years ago.  So, I guess that'd be around $1,000 in today's figures.
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Tyheethan

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #21 on: September 11, 2007, 04:40:37 pm »
My Jacuzzi dealer told me that if I had an existing concrete pad, that it would be fine to go ahead and use that but that if I did not have a concrete pad, he recommended setting the tub on a pea gravel base of about 4 inches.   He went on to state that he prefers the pea gravel base for the Jacuzzi's with the black molded bottom and that his personal tub sits on a pea gravel base.  Since my ususal therory is that if 4 inches is good, then 6 must be better and thus I went with 6 inches of pea gravel base (2 below ground level and 4 above ground level framed in with 2 by pressure treated lumber.    I am very happy with my decision and given the make and model of my tub (Jacuzzi j-355), I will do the same thing again if I ever move and take this spa with me.

Very happy without concrete pad.

Tyhee

Tyheethan

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #22 on: September 11, 2007, 04:43:36 pm »
Sorry--got excited and hit the "Post" button a little prematurely. :-[

Anyhow--$15 bought me all the gravel my 3/4 Dodge truck could haul and approximately $40 for the wood to make the frame/form to hold the gravel.  The rest of the cost was sweat and time.

Tyhee

anne

« Reply #23 on: September 11, 2007, 11:41:29 pm »
That is pretty much what I did, tyhee, and my only complaint what the gravel blowing around in the fall when I used the blower for leaves. I have HUGE oak trees. Solution: square paver-like patio steps covering the gravel where the tub is not.
Dance like nobody's watching

Tyheethan

• Jacuzzi J-355
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2007, 10:36:58 am »
Thanks for the great paver idea Anne.  What a wonderful way to cover up, protect, and keep the gravel in the right place!

WannaSoakNow

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 09:46:13 pm »
Solo,
   Had an interesting converation with an old client of mine....He has an older HS spa "Hot Springs Classic", similar to the one I once owned...he put a gravel base down 3" deep and sprinkled it w/quikcrete, wet it and let it set over a day or two. (He kept it damp. not wet) He them put a layer of pea gravel down over the quikcrete base. He's had the spa in for 6 1/2 years w/ no problems. The base has remained level all this time.

He told me that the old-timers used something simalar to this when doing a driveway, that was gravel. They would dust the gravel w/concrete mix, wet it and keep it moist for a few days (lightly spraying it). That left it like a hard pack similar to using "crush run" as a base but, more lasting.

I thought I'd pas that on to you. I have found that many of the "old time" methods have great use in our day and age. Less work, less envioromental inpact, and saves a lot of our hard earned $$$.

I'm thinking of giving it a try....sans the extra digging and drainage.....but, I will go the 4" just to be safe on drainage..... :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2007, 09:46:13 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42