What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Newbie w/a couple ???'s  (Read 4229 times)

Maveri9720

Newbie w/a couple ???'s
« on: September 06, 2007, 10:56:28 am »
Hi all.  Great forum.  I am learning alot, but as it goes with reading and researching alot, I am a bit confused on some things and have a couple questions.

I just bought a Leisure Bay Spa, Salida model, about 275g.  I am having a UV ozonator installed within the next day or two.  (Don't worry, I made them throw it in for free)  Anyways, I have decided to use dichlor as my sanitizer.  Now I have read alot on www.rhtubs.com and on there it says that since I will be using ozone, combined with chlorine, that I shouldn't need to shock on a weekly basis, b/c the ozone will oxidize the ammonia and nitrates that bind with the chlorine to form chloramines.  

I am heading to my dealer here in alittle while to see what their prices are on dichlor and see if they sell the Taylor test kits and possibly buy a step.  I am wondering if I need to pick up some MPS to shock with, or go with rhtubs and just use dichlor.

What's the general consensus on using ozone with chlorine, in regards to weekly shocking?

Also, where do people buy dichlor?  Dealer, online, box store, etc?  Also, any good place to buy the Taylor test kit from?

Thanks for the help all.

Hot Tub Forum

Newbie w/a couple ???'s
« on: September 06, 2007, 10:56:28 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Newbie w/a couple ???'s
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2007, 03:17:20 pm »
You should be able to get dichlor at any good spa or pool store.  Also some big boxes have it, and there is always online.  Ebay, various pools and spa online stores, etc...
Brewman

Vanguard

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2007, 01:15:34 am »
Just out of curiosity, did you buy this at Rec Warehouse?  If so, did you look at the Caldera or Hot Spring?  Rec usually carries one of those brands.  Or, did they kind of steer you away from those brands?
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

anne

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2007, 05:34:52 pm »

Now I have read alot on www.rhtubs.com and on there it says that since I will be using ozone, combined with chlorine, that I shouldn't need to shock on a weekly basis, b/c the ozone will oxidize the ammonia and nitrates that bind with the chlorine to form chloramines.  

You'll need to shock on some regular schedule, but perhaps not weekly. I only shock about once a month, but almost nobody else uses the tub but me. I use dichlor and ozone as well.

I am heading to my dealer here in alittle while to see what their prices are on dichlor and see if they sell the Taylor test kits and possibly buy a step.  I am wondering if I need to pick up some MPS to shock with, or go with rhtubs and just use dichlor.

I like using MPS to shock. Can use the tub sooner, easy to do.

What's the general consensus on using ozone with chlorine, in regards to weekly shocking?

I doubt that there is a consensus, other than to say that it is time to shock when your CC gets too high. I dont honestly know if "too high" is defined, but I shock when I get almost any detectable. Still is only about every 3-4 weeks, though.

Also, where do people buy dichlor?  Dealer, online, box store, etc?  Also, any good place to buy the Taylor test kit from?

I buy from rhtubs, and try to do so in large enough batches so that the shipping is free. They have a good selection of products, fair prices, and FAST shipping.
Dance like nobody's watching

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2007, 07:34:41 pm »
Like anne, I buy dichlor from rhtubs. For me $30 a 5 lb tub is an excellent price.

You need to shock whenever you notice your combined chlorine (CC) is up. Check it once a week and if need shock. I usually use chlorine to shock with any CC below 0.5 PPM and with MPS above that for the reason of being able to use the tub quicker.

Don't be oversold on ozone until you know what it will do in your tub; ozone is just a supplimentary sanitizer and depending on how well it gets mixed in the lines (or contact chamber) before it hits the tub may do nothing.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2007, 08:09:58 pm »

I doubt that there is a consensus, other than to say that it is time to shock when your CC gets too high. I dont honestly know if "too high" is defined, but I shock when I get almost any detectable.

Too high is when your CC reaches .2 ppm.

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2007, 10:52:59 pm »
Just out of curiosity, did you buy this at Rec Warehouse?  If so, did you look at the Caldera or Hot Spring?  Rec usually carries one of those brands.  Or, did they kind of steer you away from those brands?

If he bought a Leisure Bay, his price range probably would not allow him to get into a Caldera.  While the LB appears inexpensive (at first), what many LB buyers don't realize is that (generally) the LB is much, much more expensive to run.  Part of the way they save on the cost is that they have little (or no) insulation and although they often stated they use "thermal pane" design to retain heat, it doesn't do a good job IMHO.  Hopefully, this buyer lives in a moderate climate (like Florida or Cali) where low temps won't run up his bill.  If the original poster doubts this statement, he should call any of the multiple guys in his local newspaper and ask them about the electical comsumption of the Leasure bay products (it's usually around $50/month increase vs. a Caldera foam filled with costs increase of around $20/month)
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Maveri9720

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2007, 04:57:59 pm »
Hey, I am sorry everyone.  I checked the box to receive an email when replies were posted, but I never received any emails, so I assumed no one replied.  I was just now browsing through the forum and came across my thread with multiple replies and was shocked.  Not sure what happened there.  But, I do want to say thank you to all who replied for your time and advice.  Anyways, here's my reply to all of you:

I picked up some dichlor at Walmart and also from my dealer.  Surprising enough, my dealer, indeed Rec Warehouse, had a better price on dichlor than Wally World.  So I have 4lbs of dichlor as of now and that should hold me over for awhile.  I'm glad someone mentioned rhtubs.com being a good source, b/c I found their website and read most of the good info there, so I placed an order for my test kit through them and also got free shipping for it, so I'm glad I used them and I'm glad that they are recommended.

When I bought my spa from Rec Warehouse, Caldera was there only other manufacturer being sold.  The saleperson was friendly and not obnoxious, but he didn't try to push one brand over the other.  He pretty much let me decide what I wanted in a tub and in turn, I told him my budget and he showed me what he had in that range.  Didn't help that there wasn't another hot tub dealer that had been in business for more than a year within an hour's drive of me.  Also, RW was having a big sale, so the discounted prices, along with the reputation and longevity of the company sold me on buying from them.

Like I said before, I was able to get the ozone for free.  I understand it isn't a primary sanitizer, but it does sanitize and from what I have read, it should cut down on the amount and frequency of primary sanitizer I use.

Vanguard, I believe I did read somewhere that the Leisure Bays run a little more on the expensive side, electricty wise.  But the Caldera that I was considering compared to the LB I was considering was basically apples and oranges.  The LB had alot more to offer than what the Caldera did and the Caldera cost more to boot.  As far as the electrical costs go, well, can't really say anything there, b/c I have a 120g salt water tank that eats electricity like a fat kid eats donuts.  A saving grace is I do live in Atlanta, like you hoped and if we see a dusting of snow once a year, it was considered a brutal winter.

Now I do have a couple follow-up questions, if you would all be so kind and lend your advice once more:

The consensus here seems that I only need to shock maybe once every week or two.  So does that mean I don't need to add dichlor every time we get out of the spa?  So far, I have been adding a tsp of dichlor after each use.  I have used the crappy test strips that came with my starter pack and everything seemed to either be OK, or just alittle low.  I used some baking soda to raise the Ph and TA.  Once I get my test kit, then I will be able to keep an eye on things and fine tune them, but until then, all I have are the test strips.  My wife and I use it daily for 20 mins or so.  It also has a 24hr continuous pump and the ozone runs all the time too to filter and clean the water.  Just trying to solidify a maintenance routine.  

Secondly, the electrician who came to install my 220v line has a model similar to mine and he told me to save on electricity, buy some of the pink insulation used in houses, R22 or so I believe, and cut them to fit the access panels and then use spray adhesive and glue the insulation to the panels.  He says that is what he did to his and he has seen a very significant cost savings per month and he has had his spa for 4 years or so.  What do you all think of this?  Are there similar/alternative methods to adding more insulation or tips to reduce electrical cost?  Right now, there is maybe 1/2" or so white foam attached to the access panels surrounding the spa and that's it.

Thanks again for reading and for your info.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2007, 05:03:39 pm by Maveri9720 »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 07:54:51 pm »
You need to add enough dichlor for a reading of at least 3 PPM 20 minutes after adding it; every time you get out add it.

If you're talking rigid, it should be fine, fibergalss will become useless if wet. The only problem will be possibly voiding the warranty, you'd hate to lose the warranty on the unit.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2007, 07:54:51 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42