What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: What's the Best Hot Tub?  (Read 4939 times)

D.P. Roberts

What's the Best Hot Tub?
« on: September 02, 2007, 12:31:08 am »
Okay, I know that's a loaded question. I've spent the last few weeks looking at most companies' web sites, brochures, user manuals, etc. and I've come to the conclusion that there's no one perfect hot tub out there.  If I could, I'd pick and choose features from a variety of different manufacturers. Below are some of my favorites. I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks, dealers included. Please note that these are not matters of quality, appearance, aesthetics, photography, and other purely subjective matters, with no right and wrong.

Most visually appealing: Jacuzzi 400 series. That raised side with the dual waterfalls looks outstanding.

Jets I’d have to try if I were wet testing: tie: 1) Hot Spring MotoMassage DX, and 2) Sundance Intelli-Jet. The Intelli-Jet also wins the prize for Best Jet Name (“Quick, the villain is escaping! To the Intelli-jet, Boy Wonder!”)

Best pump marketing: Marquis, hands down. Flow should be measured in GPM, not horsepower (continuous or brake).

Best gallery: many are good, but D1 has the best. Anyone who thinks a portable hot tub will always look ugly needs to check out some of their shots.

Best cabinet colors: anyone who has Mahogany or Birchwood. Grey and redwood are so 90s.

Best use of a waterfall: tie, Caldera and Marquis. Both of them put the waterfall over the filter. This puts the waterfall over a “wasted” seat, with the added benefit that it hides an otherwise unattractive feature (the filter).

Best “My tub is tougher than yours” shot: Arctic. They’ve got a photo of a POLAR BEAR sitting one of their tubs! And I was worried about the neighbor’s cats sitting on mine.

Best Accessory: Hot Spring’s SpAudioCast. Plugging an iPod into my hot tub is yet one more thing I don’t want to do while I’m out in the cold in my swimsuit.

Worst looking factory: Arctic. They may have some high-tech factories behind the ugly gravel parking lots, but it’s hard to tell.

Thing that ought to go away forever: fake-looking ceramic tile. It reminds me of the fake woodgrain on the sides of a 1980s minivan.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Hot Tub Forum

What's the Best Hot Tub?
« on: September 02, 2007, 12:31:08 am »

104 degrees

Re: What's the Best Hot Tub?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2007, 06:58:54 am »

Best Accessory: Hot Spring’s SpAudioCast. Plugging an iPod into my hot tub is yet one more thing I don’t want to do while I’m out in the cold in my swimsuit.

[/quote]

Dont you keep the ipod unit inside the house??? i feel the same about winter----i like it in the tub not outside of it.

Spiderman

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2007, 08:25:16 am »
Flow should be measured in GPM, not horsepower (continuous or brake).

Measured through a suction fitting or through a filter?  ::)   Sorry, couldn't resist  ;D  
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 08:25:59 am by Spiderman »
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

In Canada eh

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2007, 09:03:06 am »
Great post

I agree with all of your points made especially Marquis' measuring pump performance in GPM and not horsepower.  It's like  a car dealer measuring engine performance in cubic inches not horsepower and torque.

If I may add one, I would like to add Bullfrogs website to the list http://www.bullfrogspas.com.  The interactive design section allows you to add and remove different jetpacks and see pump performance.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2007, 09:03:35 am by Confused_in_Canada »
Bullfrog 451

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2007, 10:20:39 am »
What's the Best Hot Tub?

The one that Jessica Alba soaks in.

Mez

« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2007, 01:49:36 pm »

The one that Jessica Alba soaks in.
Good one Chad...
I would drink her "Spa Water" :)

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2007, 02:34:36 pm »
Any of the Jessica's work for me me Beal or Abba or if I am feeling you know....Rabbit.... ;)

In Canada eh

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2007, 03:24:33 pm »
....Rabbit.... ;)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D  Awesome comment  Mendo
Bullfrog 451

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2007, 05:34:43 pm »
Any of the Jessica's work for me me Beal or Abba or if I am feeling you know....Rabbit.... ;)

I didn't know Abba had anyone named Jessica in their band!!
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vanguard

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2007, 04:08:26 pm »
Seems to me with HP or GPM, what really matters is how the jet feels.

If you have a 2 HP pump with 100 jets, the jets will all feel weak.  If you have 50 jets they'll feel much stronger.  The same goes for GPM.  That really doesn't matter if you have too many jets.  And I don't want to even get into the discussion of how different jets require different amounts of GPM to work properly.

When it comes down to it, both GPM and HP are just a way of marketing.  You have got to feel the jets to see if that's what you like.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2007, 04:24:27 pm »
Seems to me with HP or GPM, what really matters is how the jet feels.

If you have a 2 HP pump with 100 jets, the jets will all feel weak.  If you have 50 jets they'll feel much stronger.  The same goes for GPM.  That really doesn't matter if you have too many jets.  And I don't want to even get into the discussion of how different jets require different amounts of GPM to work properly.

When it comes down to it, both GPM and HP are just a way of marketing.  You have got to feel the jets to see if that's what you like.

I agree 100% - I wish they wouldn't use either number. Much like wattage in electronics, it's just a bogus number used for marketing purposes only.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2007, 11:50:32 pm »
People want some type of measuring stick to just say to someone its had a pump or two in it will not satisfy very many people.

Tom

« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2007, 01:16:59 pm »
Best “My tub is tougher than yours” shot: Arctic. They’ve got a photo of a POLAR BEAR sitting one of their tubs! And I was worried about the neighbor’s cats sitting on mine.
Yes, Marketing  did a good job of that one.  Almost looks real.  This one is the straight goods, though:

Best cabinet colors: anyone who has Mahogany or Birchwood. Grey and redwood are so 90s.
Well, hey, we're a 90s kind of company (founded 1994).   But we did just add mahogany to our Coyote (bottom) and Arctic (top) lines (one is stained spruce and the other is Eon, accounting for the difference in hue).

Worst looking factory: Arctic. They may have some high-tech factories behind the ugly gravel parking lots....  
LOL   Dang right we do!  But c'mon, they are factories, after all.  So what if one looks like a prison?   ;D   But  I'll go ask if Marketing can photoshop in some trees and grass, and a polar bear on the lawn, just for you....

Our new web site (not ready for a while yet) may feature a factory tour.  
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 05:58:34 pm by Graybeard »

D.P. Roberts

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 06:27:55 pm »
Y
LOL   Dang right we do!  But c'mon, they are factories, after all.  So what if one looks like a prison?   ;D   But  I'll go ask if Marketing can photoshop in some trees and grass, and a polar bear on the lawn, just for you....

A polar bear on the lawn - perfect! Next winter, have someone build one out of snow, right by the factory's front door. Have a bunch of people stand next to it. Then, you could use it as your Christmas card photo too!

Heck, if you'll pay my train fare, I'll come do it all for you. I've heard the Canadian has some gorgeous scenery...
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 06:28:36 pm by KevinofOH »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2007, 06:27:55 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42