What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hydrogen Peroxide  (Read 3189 times)

bosco0633

• Look into my eyes
Hydrogen Peroxide
« on: September 03, 2007, 08:21:27 am »
Ok, my brother in law was speaking to a friend of his at work.  For the past three years his friend has been using hydrogen peroxide to sanitize his tub.  He told him that he has had zero issues with the tub and does not require any other chemicals.

I remember reading online before that this was not a good idea, however, my brother in law in convinced that this method is not recommended because it takes away sales from dealers on chemicals.  

Can someone provide me with some info to go to him with.  I currently have set him up with bromine and feel that this is the best method for him.  His tub is used and he does not care about warranty issues, I already tried that approach with him.

Hot Tub Forum

Hydrogen Peroxide
« on: September 03, 2007, 08:21:27 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hydrogen Peroxide
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2007, 10:15:25 am »
From what I remember reading, peroxide is more caustic and will eat parts up.

Baqua products use some form of peroxide as their shock (I think). I don't know where peroxide resides in the scheme of effective sanitizers - but I would think it is fairly low. Ask him how much peroxide he will need to put into the tub and how often. Also remind him that most of us have zero issues with our tubs and his friend is probably lying about no other chemicals ... we all need to tweak something. Also tell him that if he's conviced of the chemical sales to use bleach but to put in 20 PPM stabilizer first.

My opinion, and it's strickly that  is if you can't convince your B-I-L to stay with more conventional methods let him try that routine. He'll find that most people won't be able to help him because we don't know anything about peroxide. He'll screw up something, wonder what's going on and may switch back.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 10:22:39 am »
Ok, my brother in law was speaking to a friend of his at work.  For the past three years his friend has been using hydrogen peroxide to sanitize his tub.  He told him that he has had zero issues with the tub and does not require any other chemicals.

I remember reading online before that this was not a good idea, however, my brother in law in convinced that this method is not recommended because it takes away sales from dealers on chemicals.  

Can someone provide me with some info to go to him with.  I currently have set him up with bromine and feel that this is the best method for him.  His tub is used and he does not care about warranty issues, I already tried that approach with him.

This does come up from time to time and generally the answer is not to use hydrogen peroxide (H2O2).  Hydrogen peroxide is more an oxidizer than a sanitizer and users will speak of the lightning strike smell of the water just as ozone users do.  Also, biguanide systems use peroxide to shock or oxidize.

From what I understand, the real problem with hydrogen peroxide in a spa or pool is the abiltiy to measure accurately, the difficulty with delivery and transportation, the fact that it is not a registered sanitizer and the cost.  To actively kill bacteria water needs to contain 40 - 50 ppm H2O2.  A 500 gallon spa needs about one cup of 35% food or industrial grade peroxide to get to that level.  A gallon of food grade peroxide costs about $100.00 and looses strength with time.  Peroxide at that strength is dangerous to transport and dangerous to spill on your skin or in your eyes.  It also reacts adversely with certain rubbers and plastics and most all spa manufacturers disallow its use.  I seriously doubt peroxide is not used because it would take sales from spa dealers.  If it were a good method of sanitation, dealers could and would sell it.  The 3% peroxide you buy for your medicine cabinet will do virtualy nothing in your spa.

Accurate measurement seems to be another problem not only in the spa water but also in the manufacturing process.  Apparently there are test strips to measure peroxide levels, but finding them will take a little effort.  The pH of food grade peroxide tends to be on the acidic side at about 4.  From what I can see, there aren't a lot of positives to using hydrogen peroxide.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 10:26:06 am by tony »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 11:39:23 am »
I seem to recall all this as well.  I used to do Baquaspa's routine, and I recall that their shock is hydrogen peroxide based.  But it wasn't used as a sanitizer- there was another product for that purpose.  So while this friend may not be having problems, he also quite possibly isn't effectively sanitizing his spa.  
  If you could use off the shelf consumer grade hydrogen peroxide to sanitize a spa, it'd be well known by now.  I don't think there is anything to the conspiracy theory.  

« Last Edit: September 03, 2007, 11:44:12 am by Brewman »
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2007, 11:39:23 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42