What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Electrician  (Read 3139 times)

thomas07

Electrician
« on: August 30, 2007, 11:13:53 pm »
Wow, it is definitely worth getting multiple quotes for running a 220 line. The first electrician came to my house and said I needed about a hundred feet of wire (meanwhile I measured out 65 ft!)  He came back with a quote of $1600! My mouth dropped to the floor. The next guy came out and quoted $690 for the same job!. My only concern is  that I do not have a GFCI box because it comes with the Hotsprings Grandee due to be delivered in 3-4 weeks. I am having the electric done now because contractor is placing trex on the deck...I fiigured it would be easier before it is closed up. Once the wire is run...would there be alot left for electrician to do upon coming out again? GFCI connect and then the Hottub!? I heard the GFCI boxes are big and ugly...Is it okay to put them accessibly around the corner of house from the tub?

Hot Tub Forum

Electrician
« on: August 30, 2007, 11:13:53 pm »

D.P. Roberts

Re: Electrician
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2007, 11:21:14 pm »
1. I had the same experience with electrical quotes. The first one was $1200, the second was $450.

2. You probably won't be able to put the GFCI around the corner from the tub. In most cases, code requires it to be within view of the tub, but check with your electrician and electrical codes to be sure.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2007, 07:33:20 am »
If you want the electrician to do the install in two days, be sure to tell them to include that in their estimate.  Otherwise they'll probably estimate for doing the entire job in one trip.  Extra trips out, like to install your GFI box later could add significantly to your costs.  Best to be up front about that stuff.

Brewman

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2007, 07:52:07 am »
My only concern is  that I do not have a GFCI box because it comes with the Hotsprings Grandee due to be delivered in 3-4 weeks.

Thomas:
Hot Spring dealers here can correct me if I am wrong, but the dealer should provide you with the GFCI panel now.  Mine did.  I was able to give it to the electrician who installed in advance, finishing everything up to the point of actually connecting the tub to the wires.  Call your dealer about this.  It makes the second trip for the electrician very simple.

Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

96SC

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 09:27:27 am »

Thomas:
Hot Spring dealers here can correct me if I am wrong, but the dealer should provide you with the GFCI panel now.  Mine did.  I was able to give it to the electrician who installed in advance, finishing everything up to the point of actually connecting the tub to the wires.  Call your dealer about this.  It makes the second trip for the electrician very simple.

Rich

Same here, when we placed the order for our HS spa they sent us out the door with the GFCI box.  Since we were pouring a patio for the spa the electrician (who was referred to us by the dealer and does all of the dealer's installations) came out and did his rough-in work and will come back to finish up when the spa in delivered.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2007, 09:28:31 am by 96SC »
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2007, 09:27:27 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42