What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: 110v tub  (Read 10968 times)

Pjjep

110v tub
« on: August 27, 2007, 09:06:58 pm »
I am looking at purchasing a Solana RX spa tub. This is in my price range. This is a 110V tub. They tell me that the only difference in 110V and 220V is that I can't run the jets and the heater at the same time.  How big a difference is that?  Let's say I sit in the tub for an hour - how quickly will it cool down if it is 60F outside?

Hot Tub Forum

110v tub
« on: August 27, 2007, 09:06:58 pm »

MostlyLurkingGal

Re: 110v tub
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 09:26:07 pm »
I have a Jetsetter...also 110V.
You will not notice a difference....least I never have.
The only thing is that it takes longer to heat up after a water change.

Mez

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 09:37:11 pm »
I am looking at purchasing a Solana RX spa tub. This is in my price range. This is a 110V tub. They tell me that the only difference in 110V and 220V is that I can't run the jets and the heater at the same time.  How big a difference is that?  Let's say I sit in the tub for an hour - how quickly will it cool down if it is 60F outside?
My tub is 220v and I can run all the pumps at any speed and still have the heater on..I dont think you would notice a big drop although the air temp. would play a role in that...the colder it is the quicker you lose heat once the cover is opened.
I heard the biggest benefit to running 220 vs. 110 is cost, my electrician told me it is actaully cheaper t run a tub at 220 and that the motors, etc run cooler,
Good luck with your decision.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 10:02:41 pm »
Odds are you will be fine.  Most people do not stay in tub for an hour with jets on.

Many dealers don't know it and your sales literature might not mention it, but if it a huge concern, you can convert it to 220v.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Webini

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 10:26:31 pm »
I run my 06 Jetsetter at 110v in Maine and never had a problem during the winter.  The tub would drop a couple of degrees when the temp was around 15 after about 20 minutes of jets.  I keep the tub at 104 in the winter so having it drop a couple of degrees suits me fine.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2007, 10:56:21 am »
I am looking at purchasing a Solana RX spa tub. This is in my price range. This is a 110V tub. They tell me that the only difference in 110V and 220V is that I can't run the jets and the heater at the same time.  How big a difference is that?  [glow]Let's say I sit in the tub for an hour - how quickly will it cool down if it is 60F outside?[/glow]

You don't say how long you'll have the jets turned on during that hour? If you're like me where the jets will only be of 5 or 10 minutes you'll be fine. Others may use their jets much more and if you tried to run the jets half of the time you were in it you'd see a drop in that hour though 60º ambient temp isn't exactly the Arctic Circle so you'd be fine.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 11:27:10 am »
My experience with my old 110 tub (a 93 Prodigy) was that the water was always hot enough, even on very cold days. I would use the jets about 1/2 the time I was in the tub.  Although the tub might drop a few degrees in the 40 or 45 minutes I was in it, it wasn't a problem.

My new tub is 220, and I like how fast I can raise the temp if I want to, but generally, once you have it set up and heated, that's not something you do a lot.

The 220 is great, but the 110 in the old tub was perfectly acceptable for me also.
BTW, I'm in Maryland, so we do get very cold in the winter on occassion.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2007, 01:19:17 pm »
I'm shocked to see these replies. 110V is more costly to operate (as mentioned) and generally will not keep temperature in colder climates. 2 or 3 degrees can make a SUBSTANCIAL difference between comfortable and luke warm.

The difference between a 5KW heater and a 1.5KW heater is obvious here in Alberta and very uncommon. Maybe if temps only got down to the low 50's would I consider it in an outdoor application.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2007, 01:40:31 pm »
I'm shocked to see these replies. 110V is more costly to operate (as mentioned) and generally will not keep temperature in colder climates. 2 or 3 degrees can make a SUBSTANCIAL difference between comfortable and luke warm.

The difference between a 5KW heater and a 1.5KW heater is obvious here in Alberta and very uncommon. Maybe if temps only got down to the low 50's would I consider it in an outdoor application.

1) He mentioned an outside temp of 60º so that is important to know along with how much he'll use the jets and how long he'll be in it. A 110v spa will work fine in mild climates like Albuquerque or Alabama but in Altoona or Alberta where you reside the outside temp can obviously be a bit much to overcome for a 110v setup.

2) I don't see how there is any difference in cost to heat a spa with 110v or 220v. The 220v will heat much faster for sure but its using more KW/hr to do so. In the end the total KW used to heat the spa should basically be the same either way.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2007, 01:42:45 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2007, 07:42:45 pm »

Sorry Steve, but I was just giving my experience with my two tubs.  I'm not sure you are correct as to the energy usage.  My old 110 tub was small (a prodigy) and really didn't add much to my electric bill as far as I could tell.  It seems I do feel the energy costs of my new 220 tub, but in fairness, it's about twice the size, has two pumps, and the cost of electricity has risen also.  

But my old tub was never an energy hog.

Just my limited experience
Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2007, 08:37:20 pm »
If the Solana uses a 24 hour circ pump for heating, there will be ABSOLUTELY no difference in heating cost. Yes it will heat at 1/4 the rate, but it's also using 1/4 the power. If the heat pump runs only when heat is called for, that pump will use 4 times the electricity on a 110v system over a 220v system.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 11:59:37 pm »
If the Solana uses a 24 hour circ pump for heating, there will be ABSOLUTELY no difference in heating cost. Yes it will heat at 1/4 the rate, but it's also using 1/4 the power. If the heat pump runs only when heat is called for, that pump will use 4 times the electricity on a 110v system over a 220v system.

2 speed pump.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2007, 11:59:37 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42