What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Water Maintenance Clarification (No Pun intended)  (Read 3779 times)

Big_Dog

• 2007 Jacuzzi J-470
Water Maintenance Clarification (No Pun intended)
« on: August 27, 2007, 10:07:07 am »
I have heard many times from experienced spa owners here and elsewhere, that the less you mess with the water the better off you will be.  :-?

We have had our spa a couple of months and other than the obligatory first dumping and refill of the water (after 2 weeks) I have not had any real issues even though we use it every day.
However the manual indicates weekly maintenance of Bright and Clear (clarifier?), Enzyme, and Defender (prevent scale) to compliment the regular sanitizer regiment (we use Bromine Reserve/renew).

Is this pretty much standard maintenance, or over-maintenance? I don't want to cause water issues that wouldn't have existed otherwise. The Bright and clear seems to cause alot of foam initially and after scooping most out and running the filter I don't have an issue with foaming until the next treatment.

Hot Tub Forum

Water Maintenance Clarification (No Pun intended)
« on: August 27, 2007, 10:07:07 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Water Maintenance Clarification (No Pun intend
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2007, 10:38:28 am »
I typically recommend using the stain and scale weekly and the Bright and clear as needed.  Enzyme products are good for cutting down oil build up.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Spiderman

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2007, 10:43:03 am »
I don't like to add any more junk than I have to in our tub.  I shock once a week with dichlor and add stain and scale as well.  I also check alk/ph and adjust if necessary.  I don't use defoamers, clarifiers, etc.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

eightisenough

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2007, 10:46:05 am »
Am I supposed to drain and refill shortly after setting up my spa?  I have not and the water is very clear, numbers are good so far.

Spiderman

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 10:51:56 am »
Am I supposed to drain and refill shortly after setting up my spa?  I have not and the water is very clear, numbers are good so far.

Only if your water goes south.  A lot of new tub owners have/should dump and fill after about a month of ownership.  Your body is getting acclamated (SP?) to hot tubing and your water can get crazy, not to mention you're most likely getting a chemical routine down and it may take some time to get it straight.  My water was crystal clear one day and the next it was a swamp!  I had to dump and fill at about the month mark.
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 03:46:47 pm »
I typically recommend using the stain and scale weekly and the Bright and clear as needed.  Enzyme products are good for cutting down oil build up.

I like this routine.  Stain and scale (Defender) weekly for equipment protection, Bright and Clear only when needed and Enzyme optional.  These are all LiesureTime products you have named.  I personally like LT Enzyme though it certainly is not necessary.

Big_Dog

• 2007 Jacuzzi J-470
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2007, 04:07:04 pm »
Thanks for the advice, at a minimum I think I will cut back on the bright and clear and see how it goes.  :)

When we did our first fill the water was off color to begin with, weather it was residual stagnant water from factory testing, or general residue from piping, who knows. It was fine for about 2 weeks and then it was cloudy and I couldn't keep any of the chemicals balanced, so I just dumped and refilled. No real problems since refilling.  

hottbpete

• Caldera Niagara
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2007, 06:17:25 pm »
I was told a cup of spa perfect a week.  I also put in spa56 after every soak and renew once a week.  I check the ph and others weekly.  Seems to work.  Is the spa perfect useful?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 10:49:01 pm »
I was told a cup of spa perfect a week.  I also put in spa56 after every soak and renew once a week.  I check the ph and others weekly.  Seems to work.  Is the spa perfect useful?

Spa Perfect is an enzyme product, somewhat like LeisureTime Enzyme.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2007, 10:49:01 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42