What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: New Install - Jacuzzi J-345  (Read 17082 times)

Jacuzzi Herb

New Install - Jacuzzi J-345
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:07:27 pm »
This post will cover the entire installation process of a new 2007 Jacuzzi model J-345. As a rather large person, I was first concerned about finding a tub big enough for me. The available install space was limited to 7'x7' (84"x84") so that narrowed my search down to three or four tubs carried by area dealers. After a lengthy shopping process and wet tests, we decided upon a Jacuzzi 2007 J-345. We have not yet received the tub, but I will post photos and comments of the entire process.

Other models we looked at:
Marquis 641R (quoted $7350) - Good Tub, but did not want bromine frog system and it was a bit above budget. Cabinet workmanship in the store showed warped panels. No head rests.  
D1 Dream ($6500), Within budget, but had a lounge that was rather small for my 6'4" 260lb frame. Head rests  look cheap. Seat options too fixed for my liking. Never had heard of D1 before. Warped panels & trim.
The same dealer sold both tubs mentioned above, but they were not very knowledgable.  

Hot Springs (Tiger River Caspian $7350), nice tub, but high price and pushy saleman. Nice cabinet work.

Thermospas - I ued to be an affiliate for Thermospas (no they do not alway sell directly to the public, there are middlemen.) Do not like their pricing, sales tactics, insulation method or shell delamination issues. Quickly eliminated them.
Just had to throw that in in case you are considering them.

I chose the Jacuzzi J-345 for several reasons.
1. They invented the Hot Tub.
2. Open seating arrangement, fits even a big guy like me. I felt like a little kid in a big chair (for once).
3. Not too many jets, just right.
4. Solid shell construction. I did the stomp test on all three, right in the middle of the tub, and the Jacuzzi was the most solid sounding.
5. Nice lighting effects. Water fall, headrests, drink holders all light up with cycling colors.
6. Variable jet controls.
7. Stainless steel jets, yeah, I know they are just hub caps.
8. 120 sq feet of filer area. (60 x 2 filters)
Concern...dual filter replacement cost. But they can be cleaned several times, right?
9. Good Dealer - Good Price.

We also managed to arrive the day a list of tubs became available after a state fair display. They knocked $1000 off the base price of a j-345. That helps pays for electricity for about 4 or 5 years.

Buying a hot tub is a major overload of information. There are many choices, and I'm sure there will be posts against Jacuzzi from other hot tub owners. Our choice was simply based on dealer reputation & support, price, features, appearance, technology used, workmanship, the "feel" of the tub and on a more open seating arrangement.

If anyone has a comment in this model or owns one and can share your experience, please post.

Hot Tub Forum

New Install - Jacuzzi J-345
« on: August 14, 2007, 03:07:27 pm »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: New Install - Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2007, 04:56:00 pm »
Not here to bad mouth Jacuzzi.  You made a good choice.  To clarify though:

1.  They claim to have invented the hot tub, which is debatable  Even if that were true that was several companies ago.  There are no Jacuzzi family members with Jacuzzi.

2.  You list prices for D1, Marquis, Tiger River but not what you paid.

3.  You don't like Thermospa's sales tactics, but they "knocked $1000" off and you bought it.

Again, bottom line, I think you got a good tub.  The filters are cleanable and should last you 2-4 years.  If you have issues down the road, Jacuzzi Jim, here on the forum, has been a great help to some people.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 05:38:59 pm »
1.  They claim to have invented the hot tub, which is debatable  Even if that were true that was several companies ago.  There are no Jacuzzi family members with Jacuzzi.

I saw that too and figured maybe Herb just assumed it though I can also believe the salesman really did make that claim (it seems to be common knowledge that they weren't the first, not that I was around at the time). In effect, they are one of many spa companies that are around 30 years old and any of them can certainly lay claim to being "pioneers in the industry".
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 06:01:48 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2007, 05:46:09 pm »
Congrats!

I have an '06 J345 and couldn't be any more happy with it going on 10 months now. I too shopped around(visited 8 dealers) and really couldn't find a better spa for the money. What color combo did you order and how long for delivery? Did they include the steps, ozonator, and cover lifter?

Cheers,

Chad

Jacuzzi Herb

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2007, 05:47:08 pm »

2.  You list prices for D1, Marquis, Tiger River but not what you paid.

3.  You don't like Thermospa's sales tactics, but they "knocked $1000" off and you bought it.

To clarify:

1. Sorry, the Romans invented the Hot Tub, but Roy Jacuzzi holds many of the patents for pump technology on the modern version. They've been in business a long time, so I'd call them a pioneer in the field. See: http://inventors.about.com/library/inventors/bljacuzzi.htm
The 2007 models have a 50 year emblem on them presumably to commemorate his 1957 hydrotherapy pump invention.
I guess after 50 years, the family members could finally retire.
It seems many companies are spin offs of his original ideas created back in the 50's & 60's.

2. We got it for $5200 base price. But with add ons (their $200 ozonator is an option, whereas most others include it), so after electical gear and tax the total was just over $6000.

3. Thermospas didn't knock nuthin off...we did not buy from them. They would probably give an original price of $18,000, then say "oh, we have a guy near you who could not take delivery, so you can get it for $12,000, when it's hardly worth $6000. Sorry, but they really jerked me around about a year ago, when I was considerign them.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 06:05:20 pm by JacuzziHerb »

Jacuzzi Herb

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2007, 05:56:39 pm »
Chad:

Thanks for the reply!

I got the Azure / Chestnut combination. The dealer added the package deal with chemicals, cover, lifter, steps and ozonator. The whole thing, including my electrical box and wiring was just over $6000 tax included. I thought this to be a really good price. BTW, did the 06 models have the new lighting system?
On this model, the waterfall, headrests and drink holders all light up and cycle through endless color patterns.  
I will be sending photos when it arrives early next week.

SpaNE

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2007, 05:58:34 pm »
I won't get into any debates on who invented the hot tub, but I will congratulate you on your new J-345. :)  Please send pics when you get it installed.

There seems to be a growing club of Jacuzzi J-345 owners on this forum.  I have had mine since May and love it!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2007, 06:04:52 pm »
You got yourself a good spa at a good price.  I'm sure you're gonna love it.  ;)

The 50th anniversary has to do with a whirlpool pump, not a hot tub.

However, Jacuzzi brothers were inventers and contibutors to the beginnings and growth of our industry.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2007, 08:32:10 pm »
The filters are a use only once and throw away type on the 345 ... JUST KIDDING ;D

Make sure you rotate them from the circ pump to therapy pump at the filter cleaning, you should get about 2 years.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2007, 11:12:29 pm »
Chad:

Thanks for the reply!

I got the Azure / Chestnut combination. The dealer added the package deal with chemicals, cover, lifter, steps and ozonator. The whole thing, including my electrical box and wiring was just over $6000 tax included. I thought this to be a really good price. BTW, did the 06 models have the new lighting system?
On this model, the waterfall, headrests and drink holders all light up and cycle through endless color patterns.  
I will be sending photos when it arrives early next week.
Wow that's quite the deal. I paid $6095 + tax for the complete package back in September of last year for an '06. You got the best deal since me on one since I've joined this site.  Way to go. 8-)  Just out of curiousity, where are you located?

Drink holders, what are those?  ;D  :(
'07 was the first year for cup holders and the light show. The only lights I have are in the footwell and on the waterfall.

Congrats again and nice choice of colors,

Chad

JJWP

« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2007, 06:47:17 am »
Congrats on the new Jacuzzi.......I just purchased a the 365.....I too am a big guy and liked the open seating that they offered. You did get a good deal on the tub I shopped a 345 and was getting prices between $6900.00 and $7400.00...

Was your tub in stock ? ......Every place I shopped Jacuzzi they told me 6 - 8 weeks delivery...Does anybody know ....does it really take that long ??

Congratulations again

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2007, 08:48:10 am »
Congrats on the new Jacuzzi.......I just purchased a the 365.....I too am a big guy and liked the open seating that they offered. You did get a good deal on the tub I shopped a 345 and was getting prices between $6900.00 and $7400.00...

Was your tub in stock ? ......Every place I shopped Jacuzzi they told me 6 - 8 weeks delivery...Does anybody know ....does it really take that long ??

Congratulations again
Jacuzzi spas come from Chino, CA.
Where you're located effects the time of delivery and how it's delivered to the dealer. Also how soon they place the order with the manufacturer. I've heard of dealers waiting until a certain number of spas are purchased before they send the orders.

My Jacuzzi dealer here in the STL told me 3-4 weeks(what I beleive to be about the average from what I've seen on this site). I recieved it in two and a 1/2 weeks. However, I was able to get on a very large shipment of spas that was ordered right after a home show and delivered by train.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 08:49:47 am by WHY_NOT »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2007, 09:09:14 am »

Congratulations again

Part of that has to do with delivery.  Dealers generally like to take full loads or piggy back onto other deliveries to the area.  Transportation can be expensive, your spa may be waiting for a ride.

When I ordered my spa, they told me 8 weeks.  If I remember correctly, it arrived in about 6 and this is from a dealer that sells a lot of spas.  
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 09:11:25 am by tony »

Jacuzzi Herb

« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2007, 09:21:18 am »
I am loctaed near Green Bay, WI and the tub was used as a display only model for the Wisconsin State Fair, hence the relatively fast delivery time and lower price. Hopefully no cows & pigs sat in it.  ;D (I'm sure jokes will follow)
The dealer did use a bit if a sneaky sales tactic though, they had an MSRP of about $8500 on the tub, but then told me he could get it for $6300, that was a J-335. I'm sure all do the same. Always ask for the lower price and get a printed quote, then use mutliple stores and let them compete against each other.
I sat in the 335 and did not really like the lounge arrangement (of any tub actually) and once he told me about the 345 for $5200 (puls lift / chem package, ozone & tax) I then went with the 345.
I like the open seating in all 4 corners.

Tub should arrive early next week. I'll post more then...

Jacuzzi Herb

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 02:39:17 pm »
Tub has arrived!
Works great - we're in heaven!

For photos, please see:
http://www.microlinx.com/vista/jacuzzi_hot_tubs_j345.htm

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2007, 02:39:17 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42