What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Caldera vs Tiger River and deck question  (Read 5475 times)

RK23

Caldera vs Tiger River and deck question
« on: July 31, 2007, 04:13:40 pm »
Hello folks,

Let me first say that this site is a great resource for those of us who are inexperienced with respect to hot tub purchases and associated details.  I'm a prospective first-time buyer of a hot tub and have done some research on line (mostly here), visited a few local dealers, and I've done a couple of wet tests.  We've decided against a lounger as my wife 'floats' and does not like it.  I believe that we will often have 4 adults in the spa, and I also have four children who I'm guessing could be in and out at times.  I'm also installing this hot tub on an elevated deck and I'm in central Massachusetts.  

Based on my research thus far, I've narrowed down to a Tiger River Caspian and a Caldera Hawaiian.  My questions are:
1) Knowing that it's the same manufacturer, is a Caldera truly less efficient than a HotSprings/Tiger River spa.  I was told that the insulation is less in a Caldera.  Additionally, what other differences should I be aware of between these brands (Drewstar, hoping you'll help on these questions...).
2) If I'm installing on an elevated deck that is just about to be built, is there anything specific I need to purchase or know ahead of time (besides building the deck to be stronger, which we are doing).  Is it ok to have a hot tub right on the wood?
3) Does anyone have any other recommendations regarding tub brand, other factors to consider, etc...

Thanks for any and all input.
-Russ

Hot Tub Forum

Caldera vs Tiger River and deck question
« on: July 31, 2007, 04:13:40 pm »

D.P. Roberts

Re: Caldera vs Tiger River and deck question
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 04:40:33 pm »
We put our first tub on our deck as well, but we recessed it halfway into the deck (the spa sat on a wooden platform about a foot or two below the surface of the deck). This made for easier entry and exit from the spa, which might be an issue since you have kids using it.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 04:41:11 pm »
Yes, the foaming processes are different.

Tiger River uses a higher density foam.

Have them remove the service door on the Caldera.  Do the same on the Tiger River.  You will see more room is devoted to the equipment on the Caldera, leaving less area to insulate.

Either one would be a great choice, comfort and jet wise.

Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 04:59:50 pm »
Tiger River has a higher density foam in their spas.  Another difference is that the Caldera sheets are done in Mexico and shipped to California for plumbing as opposed to being done all on the same line like Tiger River.

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 05:02:23 pm »
Both great tubs, though.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 05:18:21 pm »
Tiger River has a higher density foam in their spas.  Another difference is that the Caldera sheets are done in Mexico and shipped to California for plumbing as opposed to being done all on the same line like Tiger River.

Actually Calderas are manufactured in Mexico.  Start to finish in a modern factory.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 06:50:51 pm »
There are a lot of good brands out there but if your research has led you to those two brands stick with them.

I've read that tubs can be noisier and may cause vibration when on a deck, don't know how true it is. My tub is on a stand alone deck so if there is any vibrations I don't notice it.

Make sure you position the tub where you can open the cover easily without blocking any view. Some cover lifters require more room than others. You might want to keep future service in mind and position the tub about 1 1/2 feet from any railings or house.

Make sure if you put the tub over under the deck it can't be ruined by a lot of water. Tubs will overflow if too full and a bunch of people go in.

Make sure you enjoy the heck out of it!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2007, 08:50:50 pm »
I've read that tubs can be noisier and may cause vibration when on a deck, don't know how true it is. My tub is on a stand alone deck so if there is any vibrations I don't notice it.

The 2 spas he references have circ pumps so they certainly won't have a noise issue. Even if you have a spa that uses a 2-speed pump it shouldn't be an issue unless it's maybe close to the house or if you've just plain got a noisy 2-speed pump spa.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Vanguard

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2007, 09:57:19 pm »
The primary reason they use different densities of insulation is the difference in their structure.

The Tiger River is not backed with fiberglass.  The higher density foam is applied to the ABS backing and then layers of different density levels is used to provide structural support.

The Caldera is backed with fiberglass.  The fiberglass then acts as the shell's structural support.  Thus, no need for all the different layers of different density foam.

Both are highly energy efficient.  Caldera may use a little more energy since it has a circulating cycle that runs water through all the jets.  Hot Spring/Tiger River uses only the circulation pump.

Both are great choices.  They are pretty similar.  I personally think Caldera is a bit more comfortable.  Good luck in your research and purchase.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2007, 08:37:45 am »
Russ,  How's the deck and spa shopping goin'? Haven't heard from you in a minute and thought we deserved an update.  ;)  Maybe even some pictures...... :)
« Last Edit: August 25, 2007, 08:40:53 am by WHY_NOT »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2007, 12:53:21 pm »
The primary reason they use different densities of insulation is the difference in their structure.

The Tiger River is not backed with fiberglass.  The higher density foam is applied to the ABS backing and then layers of different density levels is used to provide structural support.

The Caldera is backed with fiberglass.  The fiberglass then acts as the shell's structural support.  Thus, no need for all the different layers of different density foam.

Both are highly energy efficient.  Caldera may use a little more energy since it has a circulating cycle that runs water through all the jets.  Hot Spring/Tiger River uses only the circulation pump.

Both are great choices.  They are pretty similar.  I personally think Caldera is a bit more comfortable.  Good luck in your research and purchase.

This is excellent information because many times there is confusion regarding the different density foams and why they are used.

104 degrees

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2007, 01:09:11 pm »

This is excellent information because many times there is confusion regarding the different density foams and why they are used.

Tony
with this info, what spa tiger or caldera would you go with???

John 104 Degrees

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 05:31:34 pm »

Tony
with this info, what spa tiger or caldera would you go with???

John 104 Degrees

I would go with either one.  It all depends on your budget and what feels best.  Both are excellent spas.  Caldera spas have models that match more closely to some HotSpring models where Tiger River does not.  Tiger River spas filter more like a Caldera than a HotSprings spa.  There is a misconception that because HotSpring and Tiger River spas use high density foam they insulate better.  This was expressed in the first post.  Vanguard gave us good clarification on this.  Both ways work well.

104 degrees

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 06:59:09 pm »

I would go with either one.  It all depends on your budget and what feels best.  Both are excellent spas.  Caldera spas have models that match more closely to some HotSpring models where Tiger River does not.  Tiger River spas filter more like a Caldera than a HotSprings spa.  There is a misconception that because HotSpring and Tiger River spas use high density foam they insulate better.  This was expressed in the first post.  Vanguard gave us good clarification on this.  Both ways work well.

Thamks Tony :)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 06:59:09 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42