What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Marquis--Circuit Tripped  (Read 5864 times)

2busymom

Marquis--Circuit Tripped
« on: August 17, 2007, 06:03:46 pm »
Hi Marquis Man and Markee,

Here's a question.  Just got a new tub, waiting for a service call, also thought I would check things out from here too.

I installed my new U630 about a month ago.  I had all the electrical upgraded before the spa was installed.  The circuit tripped when not in use and ever since hasn't heated up properly.

Any ideas for trouble shooting?
2007 Marquis U630

Hot Tub Forum

Marquis--Circuit Tripped
« on: August 17, 2007, 06:03:46 pm »

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
Re: Marquis--Circuit Tripped
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2007, 06:12:46 pm »
My guess is the spa is in sleep or economy mode, if the spa is over heating I would say that your filtration cycles are set to stay on too long or too frequently run. ;)
Good luck!
-SpaMan~

2busymom

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2007, 07:02:26 pm »
Thanks SpaMan,

The spa was set on standard settings, 2 hr filtration cycle 2x a day, and 1 hour cleaning cycle after soaking.

I even turned off the power from my electrical panel so that all the computer stuff could reset to factory defaults.   :(
2007 Marquis U630

spaman--

• Hot tubs are not for soaking, they are for selling
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2007, 08:02:26 pm »
In that case the tech will have to check the heater contacts as if they are loose it can trip the breaker, and also can disable the heater. The worse damage caused is that the relay may be blown that engages the heater.  :-?
-SpaMan~

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2007, 09:09:29 am »
The most common thing that I have found is that the electrician didn't get the connections tight on the terminal block coming into the spa (or to tight) and the block overheats and melts.

That block is very close to the relay that spaman is talking about and causes the relay to blow. If this happened you will need a new board...

Other than that it's probably a heater or GFCI.

I would make sure the main breaker is off, open the spa control panel and look to see if you see any melted wires. I would also have someone check all the connections.

If the circut is tripping randomly then you probably have a faulty GFCI and it's nothing to do with the spa however, the connections being loose will also cause that.

If your GFI is not tripping anymore but your still not getting good heat, pull your filters anda reset everything then verifiy that your in standard cycle (STD) in your mode settings.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2007, 07:36:16 pm »
2busy, hopefully your back in business with your tub. I have sent you Bromine 101 via a PM. I am not sure how many gallons your tub is, so adjust accordingly.  Thanks to all who helped me figure out how to finally post a PDF ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

2busymom

« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2007, 11:17:25 pm »
Hi all,

Thanks for all of your help.  Today I drained the tub (with a submersible pump), that went pretty well, about an hour.  I cleaned the tub, rinsed the filters, then re-filled it and turned the tub back on.    Oh yea, I have really soft water, so I added 2 oz of water hardener (calcium).  :'( It's still not heating and NOW there is this disgusting rust colored gunk making a ring around the tub.  I shocked it and added a new bromine cartridge, after about 20 minutes.  It's been filtering for about 2 hours now, but the water isn't clear yet and it isn't really heating (up about 1 degree, on a 220 outlet).

Oh, thanks for the info Bonibelle, my tub holds about 375 gallons.

Any new ideas...I guess I'll have to wait until Monday.  It's too bad, because I have a bit of a headache and it's drizzling outside...I haven't been able to soak for almost 2 weeks. :'(
2007 Marquis U630

2busymom

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 01:41:41 am »
Hi all!

Well, here's the update.  The service guy came a day early...yea.  The problem was with the heater.  After 3 weeks of use, the heater went out. :o  I was told that this was VERY unususal.  I am hopeful that this is just a fluke and that I won't have any other weird service problems with my tub.  I must say that the service person was so nice, professional, and fast.

Thanks to all of you who shared some possibilities with me, I didn't really expect to have a problem part at this point of ownership.
2007 Marquis U630

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 08:41:57 am »
Hi all!

Well, here's the update.  The service guy came a day early...yea.  The problem was with the heater.  After 3 weeks of use, the heater went out. :o  I was told that this was VERY unususal.  I am hopeful that this is just a fluke and that I won't have any other weird service problems with my tub.  I must say that the service person was so nice, professional, and fast.

Thanks to all of you who shared some possibilities with me, I didn't really expect to have a problem part at this point of ownership.

Sometimes parts are just defective and fail after a short use.  Problems generally happen early in ownership when normal use starts to put a stain on the spa that might not show up in a factory test, much to a new owners demise.  Nothing to worry about.  Thats why there are warranties.  If the world were perfect, you wouldn't need one. :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 08:42:49 am by tony »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 12:15:01 pm »
Hi all!

The reason that I suggested human error or a GFCI is because I so rarely see a heater failure on a Marquis...I woud call it a fluke and not worry much about it.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 01:01:41 pm »
Stuart,

I agree we are young dealership (3 years plus) but as of yet we have not had a heater failure.

2busymom

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2007, 12:13:12 am »

Sometimes parts are just defective and fail after a short use.  Problems generally happen early in ownership when normal use starts to put a stain on the spa that might not show up in a factory test, much to a new owners demise.  Nothing to worry about.  Thats why there are warranties.  If the world were perfect, you wouldn't need one. :)

You're probably right Tony.  I will keep track of the repair...just in case I have the "unusual" lemon. ;)  I am, however, optimistic that it's just this one thing.

Stuart,

You're were right about the heater.  I am just glad I got it fixed relatively painlessly.  It rained today and the high was only around 69 degrees (F), it was a great day to soak and I could!  The tub was steaming...loved it!
2007 Marquis U630

96SC

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2007, 09:02:04 am »

the high was only around 69 degrees (F),

Must be nice!!  I, like a lot of other, folks wake up at 5:30a.m. to already have it 78.  Send some 'cool' south. :'(  (those arent' tears, it's sweat)
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2007, 09:12:37 am »
A side note.  You said you have soft water and you added 2 oz calcium hardness.  Probably not enough.  What are your readings? ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

stuart

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 12:07:11 pm »

Stuart,

You're were right!
Four of my favorite words....Can you forward them to spaman? ;) ;) 8-)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2007, 12:07:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42