What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Chemical smell in Jacuzzi?? very strong...  (Read 12221 times)

Giant96

Chemical smell in Jacuzzi?? very strong...
« on: August 22, 2007, 12:02:42 am »
I have the Jacuzzi J-335. I got it June 15th so the water is about 2 months old. I use Bromine tablets in the filter feeder. My readings are decent all the time..alkalinity, bromine, and PH are always pretty right on. The only reading that is off is my water is a little hard. I do the normal non-chlorine shock weekly and use the scale reducer 1oz bi weekly. I noticed a little orange color buildup on my filter lately not sure what that is. I also have an ozonator built in. My problem is the chemical odor of the water. It has a pretty strong chemical smell to it. Its been this way since week 3. It makes my wife and other people not even want to go in. When I get out I usually have to shower because the smell is so strong on my skin. When I wash my hands with soap after I get out the soap doesnt even foam up on my hands, i feel like im coated with chemicals. Im thinking of draining the tub and using chlorine instead?? Will I need new filters if I do this or can I wash the exisiting ones? I need some advice. Thanks
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 12:05:00 am by Giant96 »
Jacuzzi J-335

Hot Tub Forum

Chemical smell in Jacuzzi?? very strong...
« on: August 22, 2007, 12:02:42 am »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
Re: Chemical smell in Jacuzzi?? very strong...
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 01:00:03 am »
You do not need new filters.  The orange is from the bromine.  Most likely the odor and itches are also.

What is your bromine reading?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 06:22:54 am »
I've never had any of those problems using dichlor. :)
You might want to make the switch to it and follow the Vermonter Style for dosing. You'll be able to have a safe and clean spa w/o soaking in a chem bath.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 11:25:54 am »
The water is only 2 months old but has probably gotten a lot of use,the filters are fine.  Rather than mess around with it at this point,it may be easier to just drain and refill.   The other option would be to take the bromine out let it settle down a bit, shock real good and see how it comes out.   In most cases its easier to drain and start over than throw chemicals and time at it.

SugarBear

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 12:07:01 pm »
New tub...new owner, I would say dump the water, keep your filters, and start over.  Chalk it up to something new.  What are you testing your water with, strips or test kit?  If you are using test strips, your readings may be way off, and you don't know it.  I had similar problems when I started my tub about a year and a half ago.  The test strips were way off and I probably went overboard with the chems the first couple of months.  Get a Taylor Kit for accurate results.  I use Bromine and finally feel that I have it down right.  I use whatever test strips I have left only on occasion.  If the Bromine is used correctly, you will have no or a very little bromine smell.  Good luck!

Pathfinder

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 10:29:03 pm »
If your hardness is on the high side and your filling from a well, it may very well be iron in your water and the other smell may be sulphur.   When having hard water it is wise to use a prefilter that has carbon in it.

Are you on a well???
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 10:29:37 pm by Pathfinder »

Gomboman

• My Pride and Joy
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 10:52:07 pm »
Yes, I agree with Tileman. If the odor bothers you I would suggest switching to a dichlor routine. It sounds like you are bathing in a bromine chemical soup. You won't smell a thing if you properly switch to the dichlor method.

Give the dichlor (spa chlorine) method a try if the issues continue. Good luck......
2005 Hot Spring Envoy still going strong. Million-Mile Club....

I want to get in the spa business so I can surf the internet and use Photoshop all day long.

Giant96

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 11:25:22 pm »
thanks for the tips..bromine level is normal and im on public water no well..im going to drain this weekend and might try dichlor...is this what i should use?

http://www.lesliespool.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=8080&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=14&iSubCat=104&iProductID=8080
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 11:31:45 pm by Giant96 »
Jacuzzi J-335

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 07:08:31 am »
thanks for the tips..bromine level is normal and im on public water no well..im going to drain this weekend and might try dichlor...is this what i should use?

http://www.lesliespool.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=8080&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=14&iSubCat=104&iProductID=8080

Yup.  Thats the stuff.

Wow.  8 lbs would last me forever.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2007, 07:08:31 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42