What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Veterans, weigh in  (Read 4325 times)

diane

Veterans, weigh in
« on: August 22, 2007, 10:43:59 am »
Today is delivery day of our new sundance spa!  ;D   Your replies to my question will really help a newbie out.  Question:  What do you know now that you wish you knew the first day you tub was delivered?

Hot Tub Forum

Veterans, weigh in
« on: August 22, 2007, 10:43:59 am »

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
Re: Veterans, weigh in
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2007, 11:08:49 am »
Don't micro-manage the water.

Dump and refill after 30 days because you micro-managed the water.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2007, 11:15:21 am »
From a sellers stand point.

RELAX and enjoy the spa, dont sweat the small stuff!!  See above post.

diane

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2007, 11:19:17 am »
Gentleman,

Being a "newbie" and not even having owners manual in hand, can you please explain mico-mange?  I believe the "relax and enjoy" part I'll be able to manage.

diane

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2007, 11:28:17 am »
Don't test the water twice a day and add chem's each time. There is an urge at first to try and get "perfect" water. You wind up filling the tub with chems and it is really hard to recover from it.

In addition, the tub usually gets a lot of use when brand new, it is boiling funk off the users bodies and out of their pores. Combined with a lot of chem's it is a recipe for skanky water. Hence the 30 day first fill dump/refill recommendation. It is one of the common recommendations on the forum and has merit.

Tropicaltam

• 2007 D1 Wayfarer
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2007, 12:01:33 pm »
Don't test the water twice a day and add chem's each time. There is an urge at first to try and get "perfect" water. You wind up filling the tub with chems and it is really hard to recover from it.

In addition, the tub usually gets a lot of use when brand new, it is boiling funk off the users bodies and out of their pores. Combined with a lot of chem's it is a recipe for skanky water. Hence the 30 day first fill dump/refill recommendation. It is one of the common recommendations on the forum and has merit.

I read that last post and recognized myself!  While I am not to that extreme, I have had my spa 2 weeks now and though I don't shoot for "perfect" water, I am trying my best to keep it decent.  You are so right about the spa getting a lot of use, as my boyfriend and I use it every night.  I have been testing the water each morning (unfortunately, I have not yet invested in a better testing kit--still have the "dip" test strips from the dealer).  Since the strips are sometimes difficult to read/interpret, especially for alk/pH,  I don't stress out about these too much as long as they're in the ballpark.  However, each morning my chlorine levels are 0 (remember, not exact...test strip) but definetly no color on the strip and thus I have been adding chlorine every day.  Also adding shock, as directed.  Really no other chemicals, unless the pH looks really high.  I am wondering, is this normal?  Especially for just the two of us using the spa?  I don't want to end up with skanky water, especially once I start inviting some friends/family over.   Is the 30 day dump/refill rule apply across the board to new owners?  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Tam

loosenupspas

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2007, 12:22:11 pm »
be nice to your delivery team, offer cold drinks, consider tipping if you are so inclined.  If there are no problems with the initial  operation of the spa, call your dealer and tell them how great it is to own this hot tub.  Always buy your chemicals from the dealer.  It is like many many things, if the retailer knows you well, when if ever, you need service they will be so much more respondant.  If the tub is great and it will be write your dealer a testimonial letter.  Build a relationship with the people you do business with...........good soaking.....tom

txwillie

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2007, 01:30:51 pm »
1. Don't obsess about the water. It really is easy to maintain. I use dichlor, dichlor based shock and PH/TA modifiers only, nothing else. Since I started this I have had great water and only minor issues that were all fixed with a good shock.
2. In my case, Dichlor works much better than Bromine. Much easier to use, much better water quality. I did not post this to start a debate, so please don't. This was/is just my personal experience. Repeat, don't debate this issue. If you want to say that bromine works better for you, that is great, just don't let this turn into one of "those" posts.
3. Don't use clarifiers, anti-foam agents, etc. If the PH and TA are balanced, most times, a good shock will fix whatever cloudyness, foam, whatever you might have. Once you add the clarifiers or anti-foam agents, you will repeatedly have foam or cloudy water or nasty scum until the only thing left to do is drain and refill.
4. Don't be afraid to dump and refill. Water is cheap.

txwillie

SerjicalStrike

• Reinstate Hank Williams!!
    • Great Bay Spa and Sauna
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2007, 02:23:07 pm »

.  However, each morning my chlorine levels are 0 (remember, not exact...test strip) but definetly no color on the strip and thus I have been adding chlorine every day.
Tam

You should be testing for chlorine about 5 minutes after you add it.  The next day, most, if not all, of the chlorine will be used up.  

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2007, 09:04:46 pm »
Don't micro-manage the water.

Dump and refill after 30 days because you micro-managed the water.

Ah, I trained him well.   I would add two things. The perfect value for any reading is a range, not an exact number.  Also remember when you adjust the PH, it takes time for your chemicals to work.  Wait 2 days to check again.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

LtDan

• Jacuzzi J345
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2007, 09:15:33 pm »

Ah, I trained him well.   I would add two things. The perfect value for any reading is a range, not an exact number.  Also remember when you adjust the PH, it takes time for your chemicals to work.  Wait 2 days to check again.

I wanted to save a few tips for you to post Sensei.  :)

mark 2550

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2007, 10:27:50 pm »
Since I was operator and now a maintenece person for a company that provides food for your table as well as your baby formula I would say keep an eye on your ph balance but don't over correct it every 1/2 hour or so it will equalize out over it's period and all wiill be fine have fun and enjoy

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 10:49:40 pm »
Let us know if you have to change the water after 30 days ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2007, 10:49:40 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42