What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Disposable Filters  (Read 5281 times)

Steelerpete

Disposable Filters
« on: August 20, 2007, 07:25:25 am »
A quick question to the disposable filter user's out there, we've been using the tub quite a bit since we got it about a month and half ago. We started noticing that the filter is breaking down a bit and we are get the fibers floating on the surface of the water. Is this common?? Is it the heavy use?? Do you just change the filter when this happens?? We where told that the filter should last 3 months. Thanks,

Pete :) :)

Hot Tub Forum

Disposable Filters
« on: August 20, 2007, 07:25:25 am »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Disposable Filters
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2007, 07:40:22 am »
I haven't seen that myself.  Are you sure what you're seeing is filter media?
 Some people have reported seeing paperlike stuff floating in their spa water, I think it's some type of bacteria.  Any chance it's that, or is you filter actually coming apart?  
Brewman

Steelerpete

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2007, 07:58:22 am »
Hey Brewman, I think it's the filter because me and the wife get little clumps the size of a dime stuck in our bathing suits and when we clean them off it is filter for sure (I hope anyways). Thanks,

Pete

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2007, 08:36:05 am »
Is this a Sundance Microclean I filter?  If so, I've not seen one deteriorate like that but I have seen it flake a little if I rinse it off.  Mine generally stand up well for four months but I'm not sure if its good for the circ pump to let it go that long as they do get dirty.  I have had to change a couple at two months though, this summer from heavy use.  It didn't break down but was nasty.  Swap it out.  Normally it should last three plus months.  BTW, I always have extras.  My dealer offers a four for the price of three deal.  See if yours does something similar.  

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2007, 10:34:28 am »
So far I've not had a microfilter fall apart like that, but I can see how it could.
Brewman

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2007, 11:20:11 am »
A quick question to the disposable filter user's out there, we've been using the tub quite a bit since we got it about a month and half ago. We started noticing that the filter is breaking down a bit and we are get the fibers floating on the surface of the water. Is this common?? Is it the heavy use?? Do you just change the filter when this happens?? We where told that the filter should last 3 months. Thanks,

Pete :) :)

You have another choice (assuming you have a Sundance). I know disposables sound good to some and if you like that method that's fine but they can get expensive. Did you know you can substitute it for a standard all-in-one filter? Not all owners (and maybe even some dealers) are aware of this but if you want to go back to the tried and true (and less expensive) standard filter method you have that ability.

Ask your dealer or call Sundance if they are unaware.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Pathfinder

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2007, 12:16:01 pm »
I believe Steeler has an Arctic Coyote spa.  It as micropure filter but since its a new tub and your are just getting the hang of your water chems, the filter is probably toast.  Im not a believer in having a newbie start off with a disposable filter until after the first or second water change. Reason being there are so many issues that happen in the first few months that the filter clogs and becomes a waste of money.  Fibre filters are great for summer use and heavy parties. But just normal use, a 50 sqft  does the job and lasts longer.

Lumpy

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2007, 02:42:55 pm »
I'm having the same issue with my Artic Spa Tundra (Signature). The Micropure filter
is breaking down within 1-2 months. I get heavy white 'chunks' floating around as
well. I was looking for discussions on this exact problem when I found this forum.
I'm thinking I might try a pleated filter for a while. These disposables are expensive
as heck and if this is a sign of how long they last I'll be changing filter suppliers soon
enough.

Or if someone knows where I can buy them in bulk (in Canada) to at least bring the
cost down?
-= Lumpy =-

Steelerpete

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2007, 02:44:38 pm »
Thanks Pathfinder, yes I have the Arctic Coyote, and your probably right I've had a hard time with the chemicals and the filter is probably toast. Does the normal filter have to be cleaned with any special chemicals or just rinsed with the hose and put back in. Thanks,

Pete

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2007, 03:13:18 pm »

You have another choice (assuming you have a Sundance). I know disposables sound good to some and if you like that method that's fine but they can get expensive. Did you know you can substitute it for a standard all-in-one filter? Not all owners (and maybe even some dealers) are aware of this but if you want to go back to the tried and true (and less expensive) standard filter method you have that ability.

Ask your dealer or call Sundance if they are unaware.

This is exactly true even for Microclean I users.  Its the same length as the combination filter but has a solid internal stop where the Microclean filter would start so each side works as designed.  My next set of filters may well be these.  It also means I need a new filter flask.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2007, 03:17:14 pm »
Thanks Pathfinder, yes I have the Arctic Coyote, and your probably right I've had a hard time with the chemicals and the filter is probably toast. Does the normal filter have to be cleaned with any special chemicals or just rinsed with the hose and put back in. Thanks,

Pete

I clean my standard pleated filter once per month with a filter cleaner by LiesureTime.  Some use TSP and others use Cascade dishwashing liquid.  In between cleanings I rinse them off only if needed.

Pathfinder

« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2007, 03:17:46 pm »
I recommend a quick rinsing the filters once a week or two depending on bather load. Then an overnight soak in a filter cleaner solution once a month.  You could also alternate your filters for seasonal use your pleated from fall to spring and a fibre mid-spring to fall. As people have more lotions and body oils in the summer in which fibres to a great job in  absorbing.

dax

• '07 Sundance Cameo
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2007, 03:49:42 pm »
I have a Sundance Microclean filter.  Dealers says I don't have to clean it just replace it after its time is up.  Do you recommend giving this a rinising off weekly as well?

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2007, 03:52:27 pm »
If it's the original microclean filter, Sundance recommends not cleaning it- just replacing as needed.  I replace mine every water change.
Brewman

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 04:23:26 pm »
One of the reasons I like my dealer ...

When I asked my dealer about disposable filters she told me to only use 1 in the winter (my tub has 2 filters). She charges $38 per disposable and it's about what a reusable filter costs, it's supposed to last 4 months.

She did say that for winter time use it works great as there's no cleaning needed and the circ pump filter gets dirtier than the other filter. Otherwise she thinks it's a waste of money.

I will try a disposable this winter and see if it's worth the convienience.

The only problem with reusables is getting all that dang filter cleaner out of the pleats. I think I'm going to try a hot water rinse as the last rinse to get the material to release the cleaner.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2007, 04:25:18 pm by Vinny »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2007, 04:23:26 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42