What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Can chemicals get old?  (Read 2550 times)

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
Can chemicals get old?
« on: August 18, 2007, 01:10:08 pm »
I'm using the Aqua Check digital tester, and I can't get the PH & Alkalinity to come down.  I'm using Bromine (I may switch to dichlor at the next refill).  Anway, here are my readings:
2.2 (x 2.2) = 4.84 Bromine (I just shocked it last night....higher than I want with the ozonator/frog system)
8.2 PH
182 ALK

The strips pretty much match what the digital tester is showing (as far as ranges go).  

I cannot get the PH or Alkalinity down.  I've used almost of whole bottle of PH down.  I'm wondering if this could get ineffective if it gets old?  I notice the exp date on the strips (part of the kit) they gave me was 2006.  Who knows how old this kit is that they gave me.   :-/  
Thanks for your help!
--renee
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 01:11:23 pm by rnblase »

Hot Tub Forum

Can chemicals get old?
« on: August 18, 2007, 01:10:08 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Can chemicals get old?
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2007, 01:47:10 pm »
Yes, strips and chems can get old. Without knowing the true readings, it'll be hard to know how close you are.

** IF ** the alkalinity reading was correct, your PH will not be going anywhere anytime soon. That is protecting the PH from moving.

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2007, 07:46:01 pm »
I'd either get a dpd test kit or go to a dealer that utilizes one and make sure the readings are accurate. If the readings ARE accurate all you'd need to do is add small doses of sodium bisulfate until you're in range.

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2007, 11:24:46 pm »
I'd either get a dpd test kit or go to a dealer that utilizes one and make sure the readings are accurate. If the readings ARE accurate all you'd need to do is add small doses of sodium bisulfate until you're in range.

That's a great idea Chad.  I will take a water sample into the dealer, have them test it with their taylor test kit, and then test it with the digital tester to see how accurate it is.  I REALLY want it to be accurate, because I love seeing the actual numbers and not having to analyze colors.   I also ordered some new PH down in case the stuff I have is old & ineffective.
--renee
« Last Edit: August 18, 2007, 11:25:55 pm by rnblase »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2007, 09:46:07 am »

That's a great idea Chad.  I will take a water sample into the dealer, have them test it with their taylor test kit, and then test it with the digital tester to see how accurate it is.  I REALLY want it to be accurate, because I love seeing the actual numbers and not having to analyze colors.   I also ordered some new PH down in case the stuff I have is old & ineffective.
--renee

If you're going to be interested in actual numbers and accuracy, get yourself a test kit.  It is well worth it.  With the Taylor kit you will still have to match colors for pH, but it is much more accurate and easier to read.  The 2005 kit that most of us use has base demand and acid demand drops which tell you how much pH up or pH down to add.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 09:55:57 am »
If you want to be super accurate - buy a Taylor K-2006 kit.

It uses DPS-FAS for chlorine along with the the other chems to test the other parameters. There isn't any thing out there as accurate as a good test kit.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2007, 09:55:57 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42