What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: PDC, Arctic,Gulfcoast,Clearwater or other TP spa?  (Read 7396 times)

Kaisermust

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
PDC, Arctic,Gulfcoast,Clearwater or other TP spa?
« on: August 14, 2007, 09:25:54 pm »
The more we shop, the more uncertain we are as to brand.  We're pretty much sold on getting a thermopane spa vs full/partial foam (no need to get opinions here on what's better).  I would like to hear though from thermopane insulated spa owners and what brand they chose and how energy efficient it is.  We live in upstate NY and intend to use our spa year round.  This is our first spa and hope we'll have it for many years.  Pros and cons on the brand you chose would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks. :-/

Hot Tub Forum

PDC, Arctic,Gulfcoast,Clearwater or other TP spa?
« on: August 14, 2007, 09:25:54 pm »

anne

Re: PDC, Arctic,Gulfcoast,Clearwater or other TP s
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2007, 01:57:41 am »
I bought an Arctic, and wrote a full review in the review section. It is under Arctic Summit Legend.

I think my tub costs $20-30/month
Dance like nobody's watching

uncommonlytasty

• I love my cheep spa
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2007, 07:45:38 am »
I own a Hydrospa and a couple of my friends own Gulf Coast spas.  We all like our spas as far as performance.  They do cost a lot to operate in winter though ($70-$85/mo).  I had to fix two kinked (bent) hoses in my Hydro.  All three of us had to add extra insulation and seal up all of the air leaks in the cabinets.  I was sold on thermal-pane spas because I think they are a good idea in theory.  Now with experience, I really think they are not as good unless the manufacture uses more then just foam panels and bubble foil for insulation.  They also need to seal up the cabinets better.  What good is insulation if the cabinet has huge openings everywhere for cold air to enter?  I’m considering having the shell underside sprayed with foam after the warranty is gone.  

The_real_Clown_Shoes

• Hot Spring Salesman since '05.
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2007, 10:21:06 am »
If you're set on TP, you can't go wrong with Coleman or Arctic.

Dekken Tubb

• You can't fix stupid...but you can use duct tape.
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2007, 12:40:08 pm »
We just got the Coleman 481 a week ago.  It'll be awhile before we know how much power it's using, as we're not running the heater now (folks, it's HOT outside!).  Right now it's at 99 degrees and we had it set at 80.  The cover seems to be very sturdy and thick, and seals well.

We got the Deluxe package with the air pump and multicolor LED lights - very cool!  With Jets 2 on "high", the air pump running, and the diverter turned towards the deep seat, the massage action is very aggressive (very useful after a long day at work or working in the yard).  It only takes 10 min or so before my back feels better on this setting, so after that I scale back on the intensity.  Mine also came with calf jets in the lounger (not present on the floor model I tested while shopping).

After all my preparation issues, it's nice to finally be in spatopia  ;D
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 12:41:22 pm by MichaelD »
2007 Coleman 481

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2007, 01:37:12 pm »
Being from Upstate NY as well I know what the winters are like. Most TP spas talk about a similar insulating approach but not all TP spas insulate well so if you're really set on going this route I would lean toward the Arctic vs. the other 3 options listed as I trust their method more. The difference between a well insulated spa and a poorly insulated one in winter time can be $100/month so take that into account if you're weighing a premium spa versus some of the TP spas out there that can be real energy hogs.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

104 degrees

« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2007, 01:43:35 pm »
 I would lean toward the Arctic vs. the other 3 options listed as I trust their method more. The difference between a well insulated spa and a poorly insulated one in winter time can be $100/month so take that into account if you're weighing a premium spa versus some of the TP spas out there that can be real energy hogs.[/quote]

This is very true. are TP spa unwraped can cost 100 bucks or more a month depending on the set temp and outside temp,Never mind the Wind chill factor.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2007, 04:14:13 pm »
Based on what people have said here defintely Arctic as a choice.

Look at Coleman as people say good things about them.

There are a few people here with Emerald and like them.

All are TP spas.

Emerald has 3 levels of insulation and when I was looking at them I was planning on the top level. It has sprayed on along with foil/bubble skirt wrap.

There is a thread on here of an Arctic Coyote spa and it seems to have a nice foam exterior.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2007, 09:58:34 pm »
TP spa unwraped can cost 100 bucks or more a month depending on the set temp and outside temp,Never mind the Wind chill factor.

Maybe instead of Thermopane VS Full Foam, the debate should be Thermopane vs Thermopain.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2007, 09:59:13 pm by Brewman »
Brewman

Kaisermust

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2007, 07:00:11 am »
Brewman, who do you say thermopane is a "thermopain"?  Curious, please enlighten me.  I thought TP spas are much easier to find and repair a leak if you have one?

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2007, 07:37:07 am »
Brewman, who do you say thermopane is a "thermopain"?  Curious, please enlighten me.  I thought TP spas are much easier to find and repair a leak if you have one?

Kaisermust,
I don't want to highjack your thread because you said you were set on a TP spa rather than full foam, but I have had two Hot Spring tubs over the last 12 years, and a friend of mine has a 16 year old Hot Spring.  We have never had a leak in any of these tubs.  I realize its just our limited experience, but given the recurring problems I read about with a bad TP insulation situation vs. a potential leak in a reputable full foam tub, I would go with Full Foam.  Especially in light of the recent escalating cost of electricity.   I think the fear of a leak in a full foam tub is very overblown from what I read here and on other forums.

Good luck with your ultimate decision!
Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2007, 07:39:45 am »
It was an attempt at a joke.  It was in reference to Spatech T.U.O.'s post on poorly constructed thermopane spas that leak air like a sieve.  Bad thermopane = thermopain.  
 This subject gets brought up a lot, and often ends in bickering oversthe merits of one method of insulation (thermopane or whatever the particular manufacturer calls it) versus the other (full foam).

Yes, it's possible that a non full foamed spa might be easier to locate and repair leaks- in some cases.  But that, in my opinion isn't a valid reason to rule out a good spa that you otherwise like.

Facts:
 Spa leaks are most often in the area around the pumps/equipment bay and therefore the supposed advantage of TP is moot.

If the spa develops a leak in the plumbing deeper inside the cabinet it can cost more to repair in a full foamed spa.  BUT- the foam better supports the plumbing, and therefore it's less likely to leak.  

A good quality spa (regardless of insulation method) isn't going to be leak prone to begin with.

Cheap spas are often of the TP design because it's cheaper to execute- but the cheap spas have leaky cabinets.  Any outside air infiltrating into the cabinet will greatly reduce or eliminate your insulation, resulting in an essentially uninsulated spa.  That's why it's important to choose a spa brand with a good reputation.  

In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter very much which type of insulation method is used.  If done well, they both work fine.  If done poorly, they both can suck.  But that's a function of manufacturing quality, not of the concept.

If the only reason you are considering TP is because of the leak thing, you are missing out on some possibly great spas.  

Don't be swayed by negative advertising or salesmanship from anyone.
The leak scare thing is a common example of negative salesmanship, IMHO.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2007, 07:41:18 am by Brewman »
Brewman

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2007, 09:52:59 am »
It was an attempt at a joke.  It was in reference to Spatech T.U.O.'s post on poorly constructed thermopane spas that leak air like a sieve.  Bad thermopane = thermopain.  
 This subject gets brought up a lot, and often ends in bickering oversthe merits of one method of insulation (thermopane or whatever the particular manufacturer calls it) versus the other (full foam).

Yes, it's possible that a non full foamed spa might be easier to locate and repair leaks- in some cases.  But that, in my opinion isn't a valid reason to rule out a good spa that you otherwise like.

Facts:
 Spa leaks are most often in the area around the pumps/equipment bay and therefore the supposed advantage of TP is moot.

If the spa develops a leak in the plumbing deeper inside the cabinet it can cost more to repair in a full foamed spa.  BUT- the foam better supports the plumbing, and therefore it's less likely to leak.  

A good quality spa (regardless of insulation method) isn't going to be leak prone to begin with.

Cheap spas are often of the TP design because it's cheaper to execute- but the cheap spas have leaky cabinets.  Any outside air infiltrating into the cabinet will greatly reduce or eliminate your insulation, resulting in an essentially uninsulated spa.  That's why it's important to choose a spa brand with a good reputation.  

In the grand scheme of things, it really doesn't matter very much which type of insulation method is used.  If done well, they both work fine.  If done poorly, they both can suck.  But that's a function of manufacturing quality, not of the concept.

If the only reason you are considering TP is because of the leak thing, you are missing out on some possibly great spas.  

Don't be swayed by negative advertising or salesmanship from anyone.
The leak scare thing is a common example of negative salesmanship, IMHO.

I agree.  If you are not considering full foam spas because it is more difficult to find a leak I think your missing out on some of the best the industry has to offer.  Almost all the major and certainly the top selling manufacturers utilize full foam insulation and it is not because they like fixing leaks...remember they own them for the first five years.  The better manufacturers insulate well weather full foam or thermopane.  If you stick the majors you will have some good spas to choose from.

SugarBear

• 2006 Arctic Tundra Legend SE
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2007, 10:42:08 am »
I also have a home in upstate NY, in the northern Catskill Mountains (ski country) and it does get cold in the winter.  I also bought an Arctic, Tundra legend SE, just for the reasons that you are worried about.  Have had it now just about a year and a half and love it.  Tubbing with 3 feet of snow and -10 was a blast, once you get into the tub.  The water stayed at 101 all winter long with no problems.  I would say that it costs me about $30 a month, on average.  Matter of fact, it is so well insulated that the only problem that I have is in the summer, trying to keep the water temp in the mid 90's.  The pumps alone keep the temp from dropping below 94 degrees.  Good luck in your search!

countryboy

• soak it in cider
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 10:52:42 am »
LOL, Catskills are downstate:0) anything below rt90 is down state:0) Just busting on you.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2007, 10:52:42 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42