What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: ARRGH!!! Newbie issues - help!  (Read 5687 times)

Nosher

• 2007 Sundance Chelsee Owner
ARRGH!!! Newbie issues - help!
« on: August 05, 2007, 04:03:13 am »
All,

First off the Sundance CHelsee is awesome!

BUT

1) Getting some foaming here - not a great deal, but what is the best way to eradicate? (we have separate cozzies etc but I think it was my daughters hair conditioner - she went under water only the once though!)

2) How often do you shock your water?

3) One of the knobs that imparts air into the jets in the FR seat, turns around with no resistance - and guess what - the seat it controls for has no air going to the jets - just water! Turning the knob makes sod all difference and I think the knob may not be connected to anything...any ideas??

Thanks in advance
Nosh

PS - night time tubbing - simply awesome...

Hot Tub Forum

ARRGH!!! Newbie issues - help!
« on: August 05, 2007, 04:03:13 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: ARRGH!!! Newbie issues - help!
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 09:27:38 am »
1) Hair products, body lotion, soap from bathing suits and even the gunk from your own body will cause foam. The best and easiest way to get rid of it is to get a pool skimmer and scoop it all (most) out. I usually shock with non chlorine shock then to get the rest. Non chlorine shock is refered here as MPS (Monos ...... Per....... S.......) which does a great job at oxidizing but has no other functions.

Chas' Law here is that after 1 month do a dump and refill and it does work. A month out do it and most of the newbie problems will go away.

2) You shock when the combined chlorine (CC) reaches about 0.5 PPM which can happen quite quickly or take a long time. Usually people shock on a week or every 2 week basis depending on use but you may need to shock sooner if you use the tub a lot and a lot of people are using it. If you are using chlorine - you need to put 10 x the CC amount of free chlorine (FC) to burn off the CC. (if 0.5 CC then 5 FC, if 1 CC then 10 FC).

3) Call the dealer!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 10:17:19 am »
What Vinny said.   :D  Foam can also be from soft water.  Have you tested water?  What are the readings?

In addition, relax.  Hot tub is for stress reduction.  You issues are minor.

Congrats on the tub!
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Nosher

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 10:36:03 am »
Thanks for the comments.

1) Thanks for the tips

2) Ahh...ok - when the dealer delivered the Tub, I was so excited I have almost forgotten what he said!!!!

3) Called dealer - engineer should be calling today or tomorrow.

Nosh.

hot tub Frank

• tiger river bengal
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 09:00:17 pm »
Congrats to you tub

do less to the water and you will be happier

geekd

• 2006 HS Grandee
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 09:28:26 pm »
If you get foam from uncommon events (like hair going under, new suits, heavy use from a party), you can use a foam down product.

I diluted mine half & half with water and put it in a spray bottle (on advice from someone here on the boards) and spray it right on the foam.  It works great, and I end up using much less that way.

I got the spray bottle at Home Depot for $2.99
I used Leisure Time Foam Down.

Since you are a new owner, do a drain and refill at 1 month.  Your 2nd tub of water will be much better for much longer than the first tub full.

By using the foam down as I described, I was able to stretch my first refill to 3 months, but looking back at it, it would have been easier to just refill after the first month.  The refilled water was so sparkling and clean, and stayed that way.

-geekd

ptSoaker

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2007, 12:13:01 am »
In October we'll have had our Sundance one year.  In the beginning we had REALLY bad foam.    I tried the foam down products.. washing/double/triple rinsing the suits ... etc.  but the foam would still come back after ever water change.  Not right away.. but after a week or so we'd begin to notice it.

My brother in law bought a Sundance around the same time we did and they also had issues with foam.  He said he read in the manual somewhere that its normal to have foam when it's new (whatever they use to flush out the plumbing I would assume).  I also spoke to a few friends who have tubs and they said they had foam in the beginning .. but it stopped after a while.

Anyway... We've changed the water 3 or 4 times.   This is the first time (knock on wood!) that do not have foam.   My advice is to keep hair out of the water.. ensure the suits are rinsed... and change your water every month or two up front.. and most importantly...be patient!  I believe foam is mainly a newbie thing and will work itself out...   In the meantime.. enjoy!!!

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2007, 09:06:35 am »
Don't forget to rinse your filters too--maybe more often than recommended.
2005 HS Vanguard

txwillie

« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2007, 10:55:04 am »
I've had my Maxxus for 8 months now. Water issues have been very minor and easy to fix. I have kept to my mantra to not over treat the water. I add dichlor, dichlor based shock and PH/TA modifiers. That's it. I have had some minor foaming, but all I do is shock it really heavily and the next day, the foam is gone. The clarifiers and anti-foam agents just mess things up. Put those in and the only thing that will fix it after that is drain and refill.

The thing I like best about Sundance is the filters that you don't have to clean. Per the mfr and the dealer, they are supposed to be good for 9-12 months. My first tub had standard filters that required monthly cleaning. No matter what I did, I never could get all the filter cleaner out of them and I believe that was the main cause for the water quality issues I had with that tub. I have changed the water once (at 4 months) and I am now at 4 months again, but the water is great. Clear, no foam, , no scum ring around the waterline, just clear and sparkly water.

txwillie

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2007, 11:26:36 am »
Sundance owners manual says to replace every six months or as needed.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Nosher

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2007, 01:39:07 pm »
We are getting used to the checking thing and using strips

The colours are real close, but I am thinking I will change my water after 1 month and then see how I get on

Also, the engineer rang today to discuss my problems with the knob - was really helpful AND the dealer called just now checking up on my progress - quality customer service  :)

Nosh.

ptSoaker

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2007, 10:56:29 pm »
txwillie -

what's the definition of "shock it really heavily"?   Our tub is close to 500 gals and I usually use 4 TBS of MPS to shock.  I've tried adding an extra TBS for the foam but it didn't help.    Should I double the amount I would normally use??  50% more?   I was afraid to put too much in.  in advance... thanks!

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2007, 06:48:03 am »
txwillie -

what's the definition of "shock it really heavily"?   Our tub is close to 500 gals and I usually use 4 TBS of MPS to shock.  I've tried adding an extra TBS for the foam but it didn't help.    Should I double the amount I would normally use??  50% more?   I was afraid to put too much in.  in advance... thanks!

The directions on my FreshWater MPS indicate to use 2 Tablespoons per every 250 gal for maintenance dosing after each use, and 3 Tablespoons per 250 gallons for weekly shocking.  With a 500 gal tub, the shock dose would be 6 Tablespoons.  You might also want to try shocking with dichlor instead and really rinse out your filters to see if this helps the foaming situation.
Rich.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

txwillie

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2007, 08:58:33 am »
The cap on the stuff I use is 2.5-3" in dia and about 3/4" deep. I fill that about 2/3 and throw it in. That works well for the 560 gallon Maxxus. I see no point in exact measurements.

txwillie

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 09:39:45 am »
Should I double the amount I would normally use??  50% more?   I was afraid to put too much in.

That works well for the 560 gallon Maxxus. I see no point in exact measurements.

txwillie

Sorry.  I thought that was what you were asking.  My bad.  Good luck with that.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2007, 09:41:51 am by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2007, 09:39:45 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42