What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Problem  (Read 11688 times)

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
Re: Cover Problem
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 02:18:37 pm »
The core would have to be removed.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2007, 02:18:37 pm »

104 degrees

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2007, 02:19:41 pm »
it sounds like Arctic is a pain when it comes to the warranty.Try what drew said with the dealer and let us know.

John 104 degrees

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2007, 02:49:20 pm »
Although the wrinkles seem to only be an aesthetic issue, I bet they will change the way the cover wears over time. The raised lines will become more visible and eventually probably fade more than the rest of the cover. I am thinking of my boat seats... :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2007, 03:23:18 pm »
 Boni  I have a 2 1/2 yr old Hot springs cover on my Envoy that is doing the same thing. It began to show when it was 10-12 months old and continued to get worse. It shows much more than yours does.  I havent said anything to my dealer about it because I didn't think it would be covered under warranty. Chas would this issue be covered under HS warrantry.    Good luck with your warranty mgr

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2007, 03:56:02 pm »
Boni  I have a 2 1/2 yr old Hot springs cover on my Envoy that is doing the same thing. It began to show when it was 10-12 months old and continued to get worse. It shows much more than yours does.  I havent said anything to my dealer about it because I didn't think it would be covered under warranty. Chas would this issue be covered under HS warrantry.    Good luck with your warranty mgr

Not after 2 1/2 years.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2007, 04:39:26 pm »
Remember, although the wrinkles are not specifically mentioned in the warranty, neither is stitching.  Garry's comment that indicates "Most cover warranties will only warranty the stitching" leads me to believe that warranty coverage on covers are ad hoc, at best.  Perhaps the wording is vague to allow manufacturers to pick and choose which defects they wish to cover.

I agree 100%, most cover warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2007, 06:01:46 pm »

I agree 100%, most cover warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.

As with any industry, some individual dealers and manufacturers are better than others. Arctic has always had a reputation for looking after thier customers so this just may be a weak dealer by the sounds of it. They have to first WANT to fix the problem and make it right if they are having issues with head office trying to replace this under warranty. The right thing to do is get this replaced for you period! If they don't think it's that bad, switch it with a floor model as mentioned.

I dunno Tom... it doesn't sound to me like the warranty manager is too interested as they aren't responding via email. I prefer a "hard copy" of anything relating to warranty and would want an email myself... What's your opinion on the look of this cover Tom? Is this concidered exceptable for an Arctic spa?  

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2007, 07:50:38 pm »
My opinion is to wait and see what happens and if nothing is done call Arctic and ask for the head honcho. Ask who it is to get a name and make sure you get to that person.

Be nice and polite and explain how you can send him pictures. If you need to get to this point I would explain how disappointed you are and how as their warranty shows materials and workmanship and obviously this is inferior to the quality they are supposed to have. Like I said - be nice, it usually works better than nasty ... unless you need to.

I'll reserve my version of nasty once you report back on the results; hopefully it won't get to that!

I've called the presidents of a few companies in my time and usually they get things resolved fairly quickly.

Good luck!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2007, 08:07:53 pm »

Since the issue is already being considered by the warranty manager,  I have nothing to contribute.  

I am curious to know, though,  if the liner is poly or mylar.  

Tom,

Since you are an "officer" of Arctic I find this statement interesting and sad.

I have worked for a large corporation and anything that was brought up to our attention by a customer was something that needed to be addressed regardless if it was my issue or not. I understand that this might not be the correct place but it sounds like Arctic is an uncaring company ... Warranty manager not wanting to respond to email and another Arctic manager washing his hands of it. Is this something that will be told to a customer and not honored.

Over the years that I've been here I come to believe that Arctic was a great company but it seems that it's just a company. We spend a lot of money on these things and hope they last and look good for years.

Please take this to your CEO - This looks really bad to a potential customer. If I was shopping for a tub, I probably wouldn't buy an Arctic. I bought Artesian and they might not be "the best" but when I contacted the factory and spoke to them - they came through. As a matter of fact they had the person who dropped the ball call me directly and apologize. I was happy with the way I was treated. I would buy another Artesian today.

Please look at the Emerald Spa thread about Marquis ... pretty darn good.

Vinny

« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 08:09:10 pm by Vinny »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2007, 09:49:05 pm »

Since the issue is already being considered by the warranty manager,  I have nothing to contribute.  

I am curious to know, though,  if the liner is poly or mylar.  

My bad folks. I responded to this before the brand of spa was disclosed. The typical Arctic cover uses mylar, not polyethylene, as a vapor barrier. I know very little about using mylar in this application and any advise I may have given on this subject previously may not be applicable to mylar.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2007, 10:41:30 pm »

Not after 2 1/2 years.

Not necessarily.  My cover came with a three year warranty.

jsimo7

• luvin hot wet nights
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2007, 10:31:11 am »

Not after 2 1/2 years.
How long is the warranty on a Hot Springs cover?

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #27 on: July 26, 2007, 10:57:55 am »

As with any industry, some individual dealers and manufacturers are better than others. Arctic has always had a reputation for looking after their customers so this just may be a weak dealer by the sounds of it. They have to first WANT to fix the problem and make it right if they are having issues with head office trying to replace this under warranty. The right thing to do is get this replaced for you period! If they don't think it's that bad, switch it with a floor model as mentioned.

I dunno Tom... it doesn't sound to me like the warranty manager is too interested as they aren't responding via email. I prefer a "hard copy" of anything relating to warranty and would want an email myself... What's your opinion on the look of this cover Tom? Is this concidered exceptable for an Arctic spa?  

Many dealer, manufacturers and service companies will eat the cost of replacing covers that the cover manufacturer will not.

It should be black or white but the way cover warranties are written they leave a lot open to interpretation. This is not fair the dealers and spa manufactures as like a stated before they will eat the warranty as they know there is no recourse with the cover folks.

I have eaten the cost of many a spa covers.

Ideal covers is one of the worst to deal with.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

TubsAndCues

« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2007, 09:34:18 pm »
How long is the warranty on a Hot Springs cover?

2 years as of last year if I remember correctly.  Sorry, can't verify as I don't have the info handy.

Only cover I know of with a 3 year warranty is Sunstar covers, but we only sell those for after-market.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 09:36:39 pm by TubsAndCues »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2007, 09:56:12 am »

2 years as of last year if I remember correctly.  Sorry, can't verify as I don't have the info handy.

Only cover I know of with a 3 year warranty is Sunstar covers, but we only sell those for after-market.

My Sundance cover came with a three year warranty.  It is made by Ideal.  It is five years old this month so warranty is not an issue for me anymore though the cover is holding up well.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: July 28, 2007, 09:56:12 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42