What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover Problem  (Read 11689 times)

MRB

Cover Problem
« on: July 24, 2007, 08:11:47 pm »
I'm curious to get some opinions on an issue that I am having with my hot tub cover.  The cover is still under warranty.  The problem is that the membrane beneath the skin of the cover has wrinkled in several places on one half of the cover.  The other half of the cover is unaffected.  The wrinkles are very obvious.  It's only an aesthetic issue for now but it's clearly a manufacturing defect relating to workmanship.  

I'm sure that most people would agree that part of the appeal in owning a hot tub, and certainly part of the selection criteria as a consumer, is the aesthetic appeal of the particular hot tub that one has purchased.  

I've approached my local dealer, who in turn forwarded my request to replace the cover under warranty, to head office.  I vigourously expressed this point of view to the person in charge of warranties at head office and was told that this is not a warranty issue.  I advised that I was not a happy customer and was told that "there are things that I'm not happy about in life either".  The conversation was obviously going nowhere so I ended it.  I have to admit that I was very suprised by the lack of professionalism from the individual heading a warranty department at head office.

Here's a photo.
http://s181.photobucket.com/albums/x20/bonecho1/?action=view&current=picture2002.jpg

Hot Tub Forum

Cover Problem
« on: July 24, 2007, 08:11:47 pm »

Cyn

Re: Cover Problem
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2007, 08:29:41 pm »
Don't be surprised by a lack of professionalism.  Honestly, there are few managers, etc., out there that have any idea how to manage.  And there are few dealers and retail personell who actually think the consumer is the important one.  I wonder where all the consumer advocates are?  There is a true lack of training on many areas that puts the consumer in a position of feeling like the bad guy when we expect our money's worth.  Complain too much and if you need to use the dealer, etc., in the future you are out of luck!!  You end up the bottom of the list.

Hope you are able to gain some satisfaction, but if not, chalk it up to life.  After all, if there is no warranty, there is no problem, according to the head office.  

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2007, 08:37:37 pm »
Almost certainly it's only an aesthetic issue for  ever.

Regardless, one should be able to easily remove the foam core and work the wrinkles to the edges/corners of the foam where they wont be visible (the sooner this is done the easier it will be as everything starts stiffening up as it ages).
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Pathfinder

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2007, 11:55:36 pm »
Fixed your link  

Tom on here might be able to help you out some as he works for Arctic
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 11:56:15 pm by Pathfinder »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2007, 10:59:05 am »
Most cover warranties will only warranty the stitching.

I have no idea what spa or cover you have but I see no reason for a warranty claim. It could be easily argued that you caused the problem.

If the warranty does not state that the issue is warrantable you should not expect it to be.

Don't be surprised by a lack of professionalism.  Honestly, there are few managers, etc., out there that have any idea how to manage.  And there are few dealers and retail personell who actually think the consumer is the important one.  I wonder where all the consumer advocates are?  There is a true lack of training on many areas that puts the consumer in a position of feeling like the bad guy when we expect our money's worth.  Complain too much and if you need to use the dealer, etc., in the future you are out of luck!!  You end up the bottom of the list.  

Customers are not always right and sometimes when they hear the word no they equate it poor customer service, which is definitely not right.

Not trying to defend the company but from the post this sounds like one of those cases.IMO
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2007, 11:05:22 am »
Though I agree with what you said about customer service Gary, I can't say that I've seen a cover look like this before. It certainly isn't what I would consider "normal" nor can I imagine how the customer could cause this?

Warranties are defects of materials and workmanship and if I was still in retail, I would warranty the skin of this cover and replace it.

Is this an Arctic spa?

Steve
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:07:58 am by Steve »

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2007, 11:07:43 am »
The problem is not the skin, but the poly wrap under the skin sealing the foam.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2007, 11:11:35 am »
That's true...forgot about that! ;)

In your wise opinion Doc, would a heat source fix this and eliminate the wrinkles in the poly?

If not, I'm still of the opinion that the entire cover should be replaced then. I strongly agree with what MRB said about the "aesthetic appeal".  

Steve
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:13:38 am by Steve »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2007, 11:36:12 am »
Though I agree with what you said about customer service Gary, I can't say that I've seen a cover look like this before. It certainly isn't what I would consider "normal" nor can I imagine how the customer could cause this?

Warranties are defects of materials and workmanship and if I was still in retail, I would warranty the skin of this cover and replace it.

Is this an Arctic spa?

Steve

Hey Steve:  I've certainly seen a cover that looked just like that.  In my early hot tub years, I foolishly bought a replacement cover from an online outfit (not RH/Dr. Spa) to save a few bucks.  My cover looked just like this and it was caused by the crappy job they did with the blue poly (?) film used to seal up the foam core.  It was obviously who ever assembled the parts didn't give a d*mn.  And because it was taped up, I could not easily straighten it out.  The other thing I remember about this cover was that within about year and a half, that inner (blue) film just began to fall apart.   That's when I went back to the dealer to buy my third cover, this time the factory replacement cover.

Now I know better and would go to Dr. Spa, but not then.   :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 11:40:54 am by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2007, 11:36:29 am »
My guess is that the poly wasn't put on very tight and a few wrinkles formed. It should be relatively easy to work the wrinkles to the corner edge of the foam and tape them in place, solving the aesthetic problem.

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2007, 11:40:51 am »
Got that MRB... just iron them wrinkles to the corners and you should be fine! ;)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2007, 11:45:15 am »

Hey Steve:  I've certainly seen a cover that looked just like that.  In my early hot tub years, I foolishly bought a replacement cover from an online outfit (not RH/Dr. Spa) to save a few bucks.  My cover looked just like this and it was caused by the crappy job they did with the blue poly (?) film used to seal up the foam core.  It was obviously who ever assembled the parts didn't give a d*mn.  And because it was taped up, I could not easily straighten it out.  The other thing I remember about this cover was that within about year and a half, that inner (blue) film just began to fall apart.   That's when I went back to the dealer to buy my third cover, this time the factory replacement cover.

Now I know better and would go to Dr. Spa, but not then.   :)

I guess if a company produces crap and that's their standard for quality, then this wouldn't be a warranty issue...

MRB

« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2007, 01:44:16 pm »
Thanks for the objective opinions everyone.  I wanted to guage whether or not my expectations are too high.  It appears not.

The warranty reads as follows:
"Arctic Spas warrants the cover against malfunctions due to defects in materials and workmanship for three years.  Includes parts and on site labour necessary to repair. (Normal wear and tear not included in this warranty).

Remember, although the wrinkles are not specifically mentioned in the warranty, neither is stitching.  Garry's comment that indicates "Most cover warranties will only warranty the stitching" leads me to believe that warranty coverage on covers are ad hoc, at best.  Perhaps the wording is vague to allow manufacturers to pick and choose which defects they wish to cover.

I wanted to post the head office response to my e-mail, requesting that they reconsider replacing the cover under warranty, however, when I spoke to Scott (from Arctic), he advised me that he would not be responding to the e-mail.  Frankly, I am still trying to get my head around this level of customer service.  I paid more for the hot tub to begin with because I didn't want to deal with small issues like this.  Needless to say, I'm not a happy customer.  

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2007, 01:52:09 pm »
MRB, for what it's worth I agree with you. It's a new cover and the workmanship is defective. The cover shoudn't wrinkle like that.  And I agree 100% with you, astechics are important. This is a showpiece in your backyard, that you just spent $$$$$$.  if the wrinkles aren't a big deal, then let the dealer take the cover and use it on his demo model, and you take the cover off the demo model.    ;)  then we'll see if it's a big deal or not.  ;D

I think Doc is right (he should be,  he makes and sells covers for a living), you should be able to unzip the cover and work out the wrinkles in the foam wrap and retape it.

Doc, would you recomend taking the foam boards out and working the wrinkles out and the put them back in, or do think trying to work the wrinkles out while the foam is still in the vinly cover?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2007, 01:56:53 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Tom

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 02:17:45 pm »
Tom on here might be able to help you out some as he works for Arctic

Since the issue is already being considered by the warranty manager,  I have nothing to contribute.  

I am curious to know, though,  if the liner is poly or mylar.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2007, 02:17:45 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42