What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Lithium for the tub?  Chemical questions  (Read 22467 times)

Steve

• Ultimate Member
Re: Lithium for the tub?  Chemical questions
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 12:38:05 am »
Lithium is only granular.  When used in conjunction with trichlor (not recommended for spas) it gives a nice even balance because the pucks will feed in with a pH of 2.9.

[size=22]Xactly![/size]  ;)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2007, 12:38:05 am »

erincs

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2007, 09:51:49 pm »
Okay, so they didn't really have any answers for me as to why they suggest lithium over bromine.  So, I did what you wise people suggested, and went with what they suggested for now.  I'm glad to hear that some other people on here have used it with success.

The lithium gives off a much different smell, that has so far, caused me to cough while in the tub with the jets going, but I suppose I may get used to it.

The important thing is, that after waiting 14 weeks for delivery (but that's a whole other dealer issue), our tub is installed, and feels wonderful!!  We got the 60 jet platinum series tub, and every seat does a different job.  It's fantastic!!

So far, I find the cover lifter a complete waste.  I'm glad we went for the undermount, instead of the side mount, so I don't have holes in the side of the tub when we remove it.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2007, 09:56:16 pm by erincs »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2007, 11:04:06 pm »
So far, I find the cover lifter a complete waste.  I'm glad we went for the undermount, instead of the side mount, so I don't have holes in the side of the tub when we remove it.

If you live in a climate that experiences harsh winter weather, you'll be thankful you have it.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2007, 09:17:15 am »
Free Chlorine (FC) is not supposed to smell unless you put too much in. Did you shock the tub before using it? What you may be smelling is the combined chlorine (CC) which does smell.

Do you have any readings - if you have strips - get rid of them and get a kit - a Taylor K-2005.

Lithium has less active chlorine than dichlor and the amount to put is by measuring the amount of FC 20 minutes after adding and you are shooting for 3 PPM.

After knowing that your tub is biologically safe many people here add their chlorine after they soak so not to be soaking in chlorine.

As far as the cover lifter - some people love it and I guess some don't. As Chad said - when it's 20º outside with snow on the ground, I'm glad that I'm not struggling with that 8 foot beast!

Post some water numbers and we'll try to help!

TubsAndCues

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 02:14:09 am »

The lithium gives off a much different smell, that has so far, caused me to cough while in the tub with the jets going, but I suppose I may get used to it.

The other thing to check is pH.  I know a lot of people that will cough if their pH is really low.  Makes sense because the steam would be acidic also.

Only other thing I can think of is that either your tub was still oxidizing off waste (still shocking, basically) or that there was a extremely high amount of chloramines (dead chlorine - the difference between free available and total chlorine, if you want to test for it.)

Either way, you shouldn't have a hard time breathing while in your tub.  If you're unsure, take a sample back to your dealer next time this happens.  

Regardless, glad you are enjoying your tub and welcome to the club!!!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2007, 02:14:09 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42