What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Taylor Kit  (Read 3017 times)

Cyn

Taylor Kit
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:56:39 pm »
Hi everyone--Got a Taylor Kit as so many of you suggested I do.  Had to get the one that is manufactured by Taylor and has Taylor's name on the inside, but is made for Leslie Pools.  Someone on the forum during a past post had mentioned that was fine.  

I am wondering about the still very hard to read colors for chlorine testing.  I had problems with telling what color my pads were on the strips in comparison to the chart and I am having just as many problems with the difference in colors on the tube compared to my water color.  It is especially hard to read in between the 3 and 5 ppm levels and a possible higher than 5 reading (all in darkening shades of pink).  Someone had mentioned a number on the Taylor Kit of 2005 in a post and someone else had mentioned a number of 2006, I think.  This Kit does not have a number.  Are there easier to read kits based on that number or am I just going blind?   :-/

Thanks!!!! 8-)

Hot Tub Forum

Taylor Kit
« on: August 03, 2007, 12:56:39 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Taylor Kit
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 05:07:30 pm »
You will be able to get better clarifacation between colors if you hold the vile up to the sky during day light hours.
Most of us here use the k-2005.
Here's what it looks like
http://www.taylortechnologies.com/images/jpeg500x375/K_2005_500x375.jpg
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 05:14:24 pm by WHY_NOT »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 05:23:42 pm »
Here's a recent post made by Vermonter(the one and only). He explains how to test for 5ppm+ chlorine levels using a test kit such as the k-2005. I hope this helps,

Chad

In my opinion, the easiest way to check chlorine levels which may be above the high end of your test method is to simply take non-chlorinated water (e.g. bottled water or well water (if it hasn't been chlorinated or ozonated)) and dilute your spa water until you get into a range you can read.  If you can go to 5 ppm and if you think you are at >10 - <20 ppm, then if you add 3 parts of the "non-chlorinated" water to 1 part of your spa water (mix it) and then test the mix, you should be in the <5 ppm range.  If you think you are under 10 ppm, you can simply use a 50:50 mix and see if you get a reading.

To be technically correct, you should also run the water you'll be diluting with "straight" to make sure it reads "0".  If you don't get "0" or a very low reading, you should try another water to dilute with.

Sorry - modifying my post.  I forgot to say that whatever your dilution ratio is, you need to multiply your results by that ratio to determine what your spa water's chlorine level is truly at.  For instance, if you dilute 50:50, then you take your reading and multiply x2.  If you dilute 1:3 (ratio of spa to non-chlorinated water) you would multiply x4.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2007, 05:25:27 pm by WHY_NOT »

Cyn

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 05:51:42 pm »
Thanks so much Chad!!  I will do the Vermonter's method.

In Canada eh

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 11:24:00 am »
Cyn

Hold the test result up against a white background it makes it alot easier to read
Bullfrog 451

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 11:24:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42