What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Mice in Epic  (Read 11173 times)

nicksd

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Mice in Epic
« on: June 30, 2007, 10:54:39 pm »
HELP!!! I just found out that we have mice inside our new epic.  The trouble is I could not locate where they came in.  There are 2 possible places or holes I could think of: electrical cable and drain hose but they both appear to fit very well.  Anyone else found mice inside their spas (especially the epic)? If so, what is the solution?  I just put in the mouse trap but would like a permanent solution. Thanks.

Nick

Hot Tub Forum

Mice in Epic
« on: June 30, 2007, 10:54:39 pm »

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
Re: Mice in Epic
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2007, 11:50:14 pm »
Nick do you have the rodent guards on the front of the spa? They keep the critters from climbing up through the openings at the front panel. Mice can squeeze into the smallest holes. I used that expanding foam to seal around my electric wires. I could imagine a mouse climbing up that cable and through the deck and spa base. If your spa is not on a deck, it might be more difficult, but mice are slick little buggers. there is also an opening for the light on that front panel (or at least on my Epic there is).  Just don't use poison. A mouse could die inside there (in an inaccessable area) and that would really be gross!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2007, 11:55:06 pm »
On some of the models there is a gap under the door by the durabase. There is a screen that fits in the gap. If this screen is gone you can get one from your dealer.

As far as the mice, I would put mothballs in the equipment compartment to keep them out.

You can put screen over the back of any opening that you think a mouse can get in. You'd be surprized at the places they can come in.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2007, 09:59:02 am »
I have used moth balls, dryer sheets and/or the herbal mouse away in my equipment compartment as a precautionary measure.  I also keep a mouse poison from Home Depot in little packets in there.  If your area is prone to mice, they can get in any spa.  They need a very small opening or crack to get in and the warmth of a spa is an ideal home.  I would not be hesitant to keep poison in the compartment as it doesn't work until the mouse drinks water which should be outside the spa.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2007, 10:52:37 am »
I use DCon rat and mouse poision bait trays in our garage.  It does keep the critters at bay.  

I've also used mothballs to keep them out of things that are kept covered for seasonal storage, like snowmobiles, etc...
Brewman

anne

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2007, 02:58:16 pm »
=I would not be hesitant to keep poison in the compartment as it doesn't work until the mouse drinks water which should be outside the spa.

Not sure about that....are you using the Decon type? As far as I know, there are only two major styles of killing rodents. Neither one has anything to do with drinking water. What is the active ingredient in yours?
Dance like nobody's watching

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2007, 05:54:07 pm »

Not sure about that....are you using the Decon type? As far as I know, there are only two major styles of killing rodents. Neither one has anything to do with drinking water. What is the active ingredient in yours?

Active ingredient:

Bromethalin..............0.01%
Other Ingredients......99.9%

Application Directions:

This product does not contain an acticoagulant rodenticide.  Generally, mice will consume a lethal dose in a single feeding with death occurring one or more days later.  Apply one pack per location.  Space placements 8 to 12 feet apart in areas where mice are active.

It could be that because death occurs a day or more later that they're not dying in the compartment.

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2007, 06:20:57 pm »
Personally, I wouldn't take the chance. I remember a while back someone posted about a dead mouse somewhere inside the tub cabinet. The smell was really bad. :o.Especially in the summer. Imagine turning on the air and getting blasted with essence of dead mouse? :P
Catch them or drive them away, but I really wouldn't count on them deciding to die outside of the tub cabinet  :-/

anne

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 08:28:36 pm »
Bromethalin is a neurologic toxin. At least in dogs and cats, if they eat it accidentally, neurologic and other symptoms happen in 8-12 hrs max, usually faster. I have not read up on it lately, so I dont know when they would die if left untreated (kinda by definition, if I'm involved, they are treated!!). The anticoagulant type can take days, so it is definitely a more unpredictable option, you are right.
Dance like nobody's watching

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2007, 02:02:09 pm »
I have two dogs, so I keep this in a very safe place.  I always keep a packet in the spa equipment compartment and it has kept my spa mouse free since I started.

2busymom

« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2007, 03:58:35 pm »
YUCK!!  Thanks, now this is something else for me to worry about!  :'(  My spa will be recessed 18-20 inches into a concrete paver patio.  There needs to be 3 feet of space between the front panel and the wall, we're planning to use gravel, not a concrete pad, are there any other things I should do with this set up?
2007 Marquis U630

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2007, 08:25:23 pm »
the real venerable spot on the Marquis spa is behind the outside light that lights the entry to your spa, if you put a screen there and as with any other spa the opening where your flex conduit comes in you should be fine but rodents can find a place that would surprise all of us but you should for the most part be fine if you put a screen behind your light and take care of the flex.....

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2007, 10:43:46 pm »
I just had Verizon TV installed today. The installer had to run some wire into the ceiling of my garage, replacing wire that an electrican had run. I had patched the drywall to keep mice from going up through the ceiling. When I cut through the patched areas, the technician reached up to feed the wire and pulled out a piece of insulation with two petrified mice on it...That was pretty gross. I must have sealed them up into that area.. :( I am convinced they can get into anything.  :o

2busymom

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2007, 09:59:29 pm »
the real venerable spot on the Marquis spa is behind the outside light that lights the entry to your spa, if you put a screen there and as with any other spa the opening where your flex conduit comes in you should be fine but rodents can find a place that would surprise all of us but you should for the most part be fine if you put a screen behind your light and take care of the flex.....

Hey Mendocino,  how did you attach the screen?  I started to use "the good stuff" but that isn't working very well.  Thanks.
2007 Marquis U630

Texas

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 10:14:11 pm »
ewwwww....I'm not a fan of mice!!   It's Kitty time!!   ;D

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2007, 10:14:11 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42