What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Balancing Chemicals--HELP PLEASE!!!!  (Read 19582 times)

spaz

Re: Balancing Chemicals HELP (photos)
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2007, 10:17:01 pm »
Okay, I figured out one thing--I'm somewhat computer literate (maybe a little sizing challenged) but definitely chemically chanlleged!  

« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:19:49 am by spaz »

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Balancing Chemicals HELP (photos)
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2007, 10:17:01 pm »

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
Re: Balancing Chemicals--HELP PLEASE!!!!
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2007, 11:15:26 pm »
Beautiful set up Spaz. I really like the deck.  8-)

Your tub looks really familar for some reason. :)

Btw, what's your handicap?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2007, 12:14:39 am »
Is your floater adjustable?  If so, open it up a little.

The water level dropping is a mystery.  Should not be happening.

Side questions.  Do you have ozone?  What part of the country are you in?

1 piece of advice.  Find yourself one chemical mentor.  Too much conflicting advice will drive you nuts.  

You have found one of the mysteries of the industry; the more you have your water tested by multiple people and techniques, the more different results you get.

Nice photos.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

KY Girl in OH

• I in yur sink . . . soakin mah pads!
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2007, 12:26:52 am »
I love your deck and the tub looks really nice too! :) Being a newbie myself I'm no help with the chemical end of things. Keep persevering though, I'm sure things will eventually balance out.
Melissa

spaz

« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2007, 06:12:18 am »
So most of you don't have to "top off your tub" everyday.  We are keeping our tub right now at 98 because of the heat of the summer.  There is always a tremendous amount of condensation when you open up the cover.  Oh, I hope I don't have a leak--it's not even 3 weeks old.  As you can see, it's partially built into the deck.  I think I just lost a couple of more pounds!

Thank you for the compliments!  I love the deck as well!  Believe it or not, I don't play golf!  I just like to putt--can't drive a ball worth a darn!  

Hot Tub Dan--you are my chemical mentor!  :) The floater is opened all the way.  I live in Va Beach and did not get an ozonator--I wish I would have!  I somehow thought it was included when every other place I went to tried to upsell me on it!  
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 06:20:53 am by spaz »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2007, 10:03:52 am »
Very nice setup.

The loss of water could be just water being carried out after use or from splashout.  I imagine your use is high with the spa being new.  Bathing suits carry a lot of water when you exit...especially mens/boys.  There is more evaporative water loss during the winter because of the dryness of the air.

I've never used bromine, but here's what I do know.  Start with pH and TA in balance.  You need a bromine bank to start with sodim bromide.  Add enough bromine pucks in a floater and open wide enough to maintain a 3-5 ppm level.  Shock once per week with non chlorine shock.  After heavy use or if your bromine level zeros out, add a little dichlor to give it a boost.  You should not have to add non chlorine shock after each use.  If you feel you have to add something, use a little dichlor.

IMO, you are best off educating yourself about water chemistry as much as you can and buying a good test kit.  The Taylor kits are often mentioned because they are good.  Leslies rebrands Taylor kits so they are the same thing.  There are some very knowlegable pool and spa store people, but many are not and sometimes you don't know what the real intention is because they are in the business of selling products.  Experiment and learn but don't obsess.  Just the fact that you are here indicates you are not just an average hot tubber and will get it sooner than later.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2007, 10:04:31 am by tony »

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2007, 11:31:45 am »
Have you superchlorinated?  The fact that you are having trouble getting a bromine level and the rashes indicate the possability of high sanitizer demand (bacteria).  Superchlorinating will kill bugs and energize the bromine.

Follow iinstructions on chlorine bottle for superchlorination.  Do it with cover open.

Jacuzzi wet tests thier spas.  Sometime in summer when they are shipped across the country they are in very hot trucks and that stimulates the bacteria growth.  Hence the need to superchlorinate.

After about a day, the chlorine will be gone and you all should have 3-5 ppm bromine and ready to soak.

so, lose a couple of more pounds and go for it. ;)
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

spaz

« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2007, 06:22:21 pm »
--News flash--

First of all thanks to Jacuzzi Jim for his personal assistance--I really appreciate it.  

Last night I added the "sodium bromicide" to create the bromine reserve.  Still nothing is registering.  I changed out the bromine tabs and opened up the floater a little further (with the tabs out--I realized it opened a tad bit more).  I'll keep you all posted.  

I'm still getting different results test strips vs. Taylor kit.  

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #38 on: July 27, 2007, 06:48:58 pm »
 At some point you may want to try a different brand of tablets or do 1 more large dose of sodium bromide the 2oz packet you have added may not have been enough if there is alot bacteria in there.

What brand chems did your dealer give you??

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2007, 06:59:28 pm »
Also IMO, at this point believe the kit.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2007, 06:59:51 pm by Vinny »

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2007, 07:40:35 pm »
Spaz....
Sweet tub!  Jacuzzi is making our J-365 AS WE SPEAK.  It is supposed to be shipped next week, so we should probably get it the 2nd week of August.  We were supposed to get it this week, so I'm a little jealous that you're hot tubbin' in yours!   ;)  Hey...how do you like the foot jets?  We were not able to wet test one with foot jets, but I'm REALLY looking forward to trying those out.   We did opt for the ozonator, and I'm going to go with Dichlor.   From all the posts I've read, it just sounds like a simpler system to use.  But I could be wrong....time will tell!  Good luck....
-renee

scromey

• 2007 D1 Nautilus (Love it)
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2007, 10:53:50 am »
I won't get my tub for another 1 1/2 weeks (I Hope), but continue to try to understand all the water management issues. It's confusing. However, I found a water management document that explains what each component is and how it affects others (ie: how Total Alkalinity affects PH). This has been really helpful for reference. Maybe you all know the info, but since I have not seen any "complete" document to explain, I thought I would post.
http://www.d1spas.com/images/documents/01513-092ERevB-WaterCareGuideExportScreen.pdf  

By the way spas, NICE tub. I cannot wait until I get my D1 Nautilus. My patio is ALMOST complete and since I had to wait for my tub anyway, I haven't had to rush and cut corners.

:o
scromey

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2007, 12:33:36 pm »
I won't get my tub for another 1 1/2 weeks (I Hope), but continue to try to understand all the water management issues. It's confusing. However, I found a water management document that explains what each component is and how it affects others (ie: how Total Alkalinity affects PH). This has been really helpful for reference. Maybe you all know the info, but since I have not seen any "complete" document to explain, I thought I would post.
http://www.d1spas.com/images/documents/01513-092ERevB-WaterCareGuideExportScreen.pdf  

By the way spas, NICE tub. I cannot wait until I get my D1 Nautilus. My patio is ALMOST complete and since I had to wait for my tub anyway, I haven't had to rush and cut corners.

:o
Hey...thanks for that website!  I just checked it out, and it does have great information!  After reading it, I now I understand the effects of PH & Alkalinity.  It's like a big puzzle...slowly but surely chemical care is all coming together, and hopefully I'll know what I'm doing by the time we get our tub in 7-10 days.
--renee

Webini

« Reply #43 on: July 29, 2007, 08:22:15 am »
--News flash--

First of all thanks to Jacuzzi Jim for his personal assistance--I really appreciate it.  

Last night I added the "sodium bromicide" to create the bromine reserve.  Still nothing is registering.  I changed out the bromine tabs and opened up the floater a little further (with the tabs out--I realized it opened a tad bit more).  I'll keep you all posted.  

I'm still getting different results test strips vs. Taylor kit.  

Spaz:

Just a thought on your water loss.  You should not have to add water every soak.  I add 10 - 15 gallons about once every 6 weeks in my HS Jetsetter.  And we use it a bunch.

I had the same type problem.  Check your tub drain.  Mine for some reason was open very slightly and was causing water loss.  Don't know how since I don't drain my tub using the drain, but check it anyway.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2007, 08:22:31 am by Webini »

spaz

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 10:00:21 pm »
Spaz....
Sweet tub!  Jacuzzi is making our J-365 AS WE SPEAK.  It is supposed to be shipped next week, so we should probably get it the 2nd week of August.  We were supposed to get it this week, so I'm a little jealous that you're hot tubbin' in yours!   ;)  Hey...how do you like the foot jets?  We were not able to wet test one with foot jets, but I'm REALLY looking forward to trying those out.   We did opt for the ozonator, and I'm going to go with Dichlor.   From all the posts I've read, it just sounds like a simpler system to use.  But I could be wrong....time will tell!  Good luck....
-renee

Don't be too jealous--we haven't spent that much time in our tub.  The foot jets are awesome--that is one of the main reasons we picked this model.  Great job on the ozonator--I'm going to see if that can be added after market.  

We are presently using the Spa River Series chemicals.  I don't know if anybody has heard of that.  I believe that a lot of our chemical problems were due to water loss.

Make sure they check the water fall feature valve--ours was very loose.  And thanks to Jacuzzi Jim's advise hopefully no more water loss will occur.   ;D

I'll keep you all posted.  

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #44 on: July 31, 2007, 10:00:21 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42