What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Anyone from the D/FW Area?  (Read 4933 times)

Texas

Anyone from the D/FW Area?
« on: July 30, 2007, 12:07:54 am »
Hi!  I'm new and was hoping to find someone from the Dallas/Ft. Worth area on here to help me.  I got a hot tub this weekend for free.  YEA!!!  However, I have no clue what to do to get it ready.  (haha)  I'm waiting on my cousin to put in my wiring.  Yea...again!!  

What I want to know is....Is there a GOOD spa store in the area that I can go to and learn everything I need to about how to take care of the water/etc?  

Thanks!!

Hot Tub Forum

Anyone from the D/FW Area?
« on: July 30, 2007, 12:07:54 am »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Anyone from the D/FW Area?
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 10:18:29 am »
Hey you don't need no stikin' store ... you got us!  ;D

1st, you need to get a test kit. Some of us use the Taylor K-2005 and it has everything you might need to test the water. You need to test the water out of the tap to know where you are starting from.

The water needs to be tested for PH, Calcium, Alkalinity and eventually for Chlorine/Bromine.

2nd, go here: http://www.rhtubs.com/store/chemical.htm and read the comparison of sanitizers. The 2 most widely used are chlorine and bromine. Don't go to Baqua unless all else fails.

3rd, go here: http://www.rhtubs.com/bbs/FAQ.htm and look for the names Northman & Vermonter and read that info. Most of it applies to chlorine but at least you get an understanding.

4th, once you get the Taylor kit - read it's book!

All supplies can be bought here: http://www.rhtubs.com/store/directory.htm if you can't find a local store. Doc has good prices.

After all that reading, if you have questions - just ask!

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 10:30:13 am »
Vinny:

I just gotta say that your post was the most helpful and concise round-up I have seen for a newbie in a while.

The moderators might want to think about making it a "sticky" at the top of the forum for newbies generally.

Good Job!
Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Texas

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 10:34:47 am »
Thanks for the info Vinny.  I'll take a look at it.  I did go to Wal Mart this weekend and they had a bunch of supplies.   Are these good to use?  

Sorry...I haven't had a chance to look at the info sites you sent me yet.  I'll get to it ASAP.  

Thanks again and I hope you have a great day!!!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 10:46:31 am »
Hey Rich - Thanks. I do try to help out when it's in my realm of knowledge. (of course my wife is always calling me a know-it-all! ;) ;D )

Texas,

Don't buy any supplies other than a test kit until you know what's coming out of the tap. A lot of supplies depends on what you have to do to the water, which may be nothing.

Don't buy chlorine at Walmart. They label their (HTH) "spa chlorine" and it is Cal Hypo. Only use Dichlor chlorine in a tub. Cal hypo will add calcium to the water and if you don't watch it your water will get really hard and possibly form deposits - bad! I guess the bromine is OK but I don't use bromine so I can't comment.

If you decide to go the bromine route, there are people here that are more knowledgable than I about it.

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 04:33:37 pm »
Welcome fellow DFW hot tubber!

Texas

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 04:42:40 pm »
Thanks ZEP!!  I'm loving those pictures!!  I used to work in the building with the X on it.  

Thanks again Vinny for the tip on the Wal-Mart supplies.  I'll look for the test kit and start working on that while I wait for my wiring.  Let's hope that gets done this week.   :D  I'm sooo ready for this to get going.

Thanks again and have a great day!!

Texas

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 05:43:00 pm »
One more quick questions please.....

Is this hot tub gonna raise my electric bill a BUNCH????   :-/

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 05:55:30 pm »
Hard to say.

Since you are in a temperate climate - probably not. Obviously (I think) your winters are mild and as long as it has some insulation and the cover is good, you shouldn't see a huge increase. Anyone who says it doesn't add anything to the bill is lying!

Do you know anything about the tub itself?

Vanguard

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 08:41:24 pm »
You do have a couple of good choices for stores, though.

Coleman Bright Ideas For Your Home - Fort Worth and Grapevine
Spa Expo - Plano

Stay away from Rec Warehouse.
The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Texas

« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2007, 10:55:38 pm »
Thanks for the tips Vanguard.   :)

OK...As far as what I know about the tub???   Well, it seats 6 (w/lounger) and I just looked at the motor and it says ONYX on it.   ????  

« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 04:07:31 pm by Texas »

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2007, 08:58:48 pm »
hey texas....what part of the metroplex are you?

Texas

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 01:30:58 pm »
I'm 35 miles south of dallas.  (Ennis/Waxahachie area)

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2007, 01:30:58 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42