What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa service  (Read 3255 times)

kufferaths

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Spa service
« on: July 31, 2007, 01:20:22 am »
I had some problems with my D1 Chairman II, so I had it serviced today.  They had to replace the control board and upper control panel.  I would push pump one and pump 2 would come on.  Then I couldn't get it to go off unless I pushed the light button.  The technician said he had never seen anything like it before.  Anyway my light wasn't working correctly either.  It would come on for a few minutes then go out.  So he replaced the light but said he thought it may have gone out within a few minutes again.  He couldn't tell in the sun light.  So he said to check it tonight and let him know in the morning.  If it's still not working he said he would replace the hole light assembly on Friday.  He also said my ozone bulb was burned out.  I didn't know they went bad.  But he says they should be replaced every two years.  I didn't know this.  Have any of you ever heard of this?  That part cost me $200.00.  Everything else was covered under warranty.  Thank God.  I'm going out there right now to test it out.  I'll let you know the outcome.  How hard is it to replace the ozone bulb myself?  

Hot Tub Forum

Spa service
« on: July 31, 2007, 01:20:22 am »

kufferaths

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Re: Spa service
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2007, 02:12:20 am »
Just got back in from the tub.  Everything works great except for the light.  I'll call the Tech in the morning.

Vanguard

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2007, 01:13:53 pm »
It is true that you have to replace the bulb on UV ozone systems.  I've only had a Hot Spring (uses a glass cell) so I've never had to replace a bulb, but I can't imagine it would be that difficult.  

The stars at night are big and bright, deep in the heart of Texas and my Vanguard!!!

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2007, 02:10:11 pm »
He also said my ozone bulb was burned out.  I didn't know they went bad.  But he says they should be replaced every two years.  I didn't know this.  Have any of you ever heard of this?  That part cost me $200.00.  Everything else was covered under warranty.  Thank God.  I'm going out there right now to test it out.  I'll let you know the outcome.  How hard is it to replace the ozone bulb myself?  

I tell people to change the UV bulb every 1.5 to 2 years so think of the 2 years as a max time to change. I assume he changed the entire unit for $200 and not the bulb but I'd just look to change the bulb next time or suggest a switch to a CD ozonator (preferably the type that doesn't require a chip change). They're certainly more cost up front but work better (produce more ozone than UV) and typically last much longer.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:10:56 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

104 degrees

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2007, 02:39:42 pm »

I tell people to change the UV bulb every 1.5 to 2 years so think of the 2 years as a max time to change. I assume he changed the entire unit for $200 and not the bulb but I'd just look to change the bulb next time or suggest a switch to a CD ozonator (preferably the type that doesn't require a chip change). They're certainly more cost up front but work better (produce more ozone than UV) and typically last much longer.

Spatech

I have in my Crown Xl, what kind of oxinator is a Del cds-16dr ?? light or cd???

Thankyou John 104 degrees
« Last Edit: July 31, 2007, 02:40:46 pm by 104_degrees »

Gary

• Laugh daily you will live longer
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2007, 04:32:57 pm »
Most Cd ones will require service in two years, the ones the Hot Springs uses calls for a Electrode and Power supply change  every two years.

Also more ozone is not always a good thing, if your spa is not designed for the higher output, most of the ozone will be wasted and it is hard on the cover and pillows.
I am a scientist, I convert beer, wine and whiskey into urine.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 06:47:35 pm »
Also more ozone is not always a good thing, if your spa is not designed for the higher output, most of the ozone will be wasted and it is hard on the cover and pillows.

Very good point. If the spa isn't properly plumbed for ozone then more ozone would be of no benefit and would just offgas more. I just know that there are a lot of cheapo UV units out there that serve little purpose beyond being able to say the spa has ozone and making the sale.
220, 221, whatever it takes!

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2007, 06:47:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42