What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Diamante Mojave Install  (Read 5333 times)

GregsSpa

Diamante Mojave Install
« on: July 30, 2007, 01:45:34 am »

Hot Tub Forum

Diamante Mojave Install
« on: July 30, 2007, 01:45:34 am »

GregsSpa

Re: Diamante Mojave Install
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2007, 02:15:32 am »
Sorry, just testing the pics...

So my Diamante arrived this week, 7 weeks after order date. The salesman tried to get the tub to me in 4 weeks, but because of the 4th holiday and such, I knew it would be a stretch to get it here that quickly. My wife and I were patient, they had offered us a replacement tub with a stereo in it, but I declined because it was a different color scheme.

I am glad we waited.  The tub is just beautiful.

I had the electrician (WJ Electric in Albuquerque) out the morning of the delivery date, running the first leg from the main panel to the GFCI box. All went well there and they wrapped up by 11am, told me to call them when the tub arrived that afternoon and he would be by to finish the install.

The delivery guys didn't show up until 4:30, with a pending thunderstorm on the brink. We (yes, we) managed to wrestle the tub from the truck and get it on the dolly. I'm sure the 3 guys they sent would have eventually got it in my backyard, but I think my help was appreciated!

The electrician was in the neighborhood and swung by as we were moving it to it's location, but wouldn't stay to finish the electrical, so I had to wait until the morning. The tub guys did the once over on tub basics, had me sign off, and they were on their way.

I must say, the tub arrived in immaculate condition. Not a scratch or nick on the cabinet, which is absolutely beautiful craftsmanship.

I cleaned out the bottom of the tub after they unwrapped it and started the fill. Needless to say, I was anxious for power.

Will from WJ showed up at 0730 the next day and was quickly working towards completion. We had power to the tub by 0900. He set it up on a 50 amp service,  but he put an ammeter on the lines and with all pumps running and the heater on full this thing is pulling 62 amps  :o.  I am having him switch to 60 amp breakers, although the tub is not tripping the 50amp now.

I watched in horror as the meter spun out of control.... ;D

The tub is just wonderful. The 3- 5hp pumps are plenty powerful enough, but when you add the blower, it just has incredible action. Run the blower on it's own and you get a totally different sensation. I do have a problem, it seems, with my neck jets in the lounger. Only 1 seems to spin full time, and I can no longer shut them off. They may just need an adjustement...Everything else works great and we love the tub.

I think my water chemistry is in the ballpark, they've got me using strips and brought over Sea-Clear chems. Then promptly told me I should use Nature-2?  I'm still up in the air on which way to go with the chems.

Anyway,  we're soaking away!  Here are a few more pics...

kervis

• runnergirl
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2007, 09:46:13 am »
Wahoo!!  It looks great.  I especially like your large covered porch/patio.  :)
2005 HS Vanguard

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2007, 10:33:35 am »
Beautiful spa, Greg.  Good soakin'!
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2007, 11:37:38 am »
Congrats!

Will from WJ showed up at 0730 the next day and was quickly working towards completion. We had power to the tub by 0900. He set it up on a 50 amp service,  but he put an ammeter on the lines and with all pumps running and the heater on full this thing is pulling 62 amps  Shocked.  I am having him switch to 60 amp breakers, although the tub is not tripping the 50amp now.

I'm not an electricain, but if the tub was drawing 60+amps, shouldn't the breaker have tripped?
07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2007, 12:00:45 pm »
Not an electrician but ...

Actually there is a problem, any breaker is supposed to have only 80% current draw on it except possibly the main breaker. Most breakers have "slop" built in to be able to go over the recommended amperage, how much over I don't know. 62 amps is an aweful lot of current that should go on an 80 amp (?) circuit with wire sized accordingly.

That's why there are GFIs to break the power in an instant if a problem were to occur. You can't rely on a regular breaker popping, you can become toast before it trips.

Maybe I'm wrong ... hopefully someone else will chime in.

GregsSpa

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2007, 09:36:21 pm »
I was wondering if his meter was completely accurate?  I was told by the salesman that a 50 amp service would suffice, and as of this moment it is.  The electrician confirmed the 6awg run is good to 70 amps, no problem there. Looks like I just need to up the breakers to 60 amp.

When the heater is up to temp with all the pumps on, his meter was reading 40amps.

She's still running with no problems for now, The breakers will be upgraded this week.

Thanks for the inputs and thanks for all I learned about hot tubs from you guys!  :)

Spiderman

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2007, 10:20:56 pm »
Looks like those boys could use a Spa Dolly  :o
People suffer one of two pains in life:  the pain of discipline, or the pain of regret

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2007, 10:53:16 pm »
My original thought also was perhaps his meter was FURARed.. But, I also remember some older posts talking about a string of bad pump's who's motors were pulling way to many amps. You might want to check the amp draw on each piece of equipment and compare the amp draw with the rating plate.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

GregsSpa

« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2007, 11:44:09 pm »
Great idea on the individual current draws, I'll have it checked. Thanks

"Looks like those boys could use a Spa Dolly   ", LOL!  That's what I was thinking. The guy in the Hawiian T-shirt was a sales-type guy with a cell phone in his pocket, and the driver had a bad wheez and a pack of Marlboro's in his shirt. It's not like they sent me 3 WWF guys... ;D

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 09:34:56 am »

New Mexico is one of my favorite places. ....I can still smell the burning pinon wood of old town.  
07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2007, 09:34:56 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42