What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: privacy  (Read 9719 times)

Cyn

privacy
« on: July 23, 2007, 10:16:36 am »
Would love some ideas for privacy screening.  Need to screen two sides and one side needs to have something fairly close to the tub and about 6 feet tall or more because of a house set higher than ours with a second floor window within a direct sighting line.  

Hot Tub Forum

privacy
« on: July 23, 2007, 10:16:36 am »

104 degrees

Re: privacy
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2007, 10:19:47 am »
Would love some ideas for privacy screening.  Need to screen two sides and one side needs to have something fairly close to the tub and about 6 feet tall or more because of a house set higher than ours with a second floor window within a direct sighting line.  

You can try the search button. i think there are some threads on this topic with some great pics.

Can you plant bushes???

104 degrees

Cyn

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2007, 10:30:15 am »
Can't plant bushes...the tub is within a good sized patio and the bushes would have to be really big trees to cover that neighbors view from their window since the edge of the patio is a long way from the tub.  Sorry, that maybe kind of hard to picture!  :o  I will try to search...thanks!

Nosher

• 2007 Sundance Chelsee Owner
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2007, 02:50:04 pm »
Cyn

I am in the same boat to a degree - I am going to use willow branches tied closely together, that looks like a natural hedge, but at 2 metres high, it will keep out the really nosy peeps...I will post pictures soon...

Also, I am planning to plant some wisteria - it is a climbing plant that has nice 'broad leaves - doesn't flower for too long (no wasp and bees problem then) and grows very quickly....again will post pics as soon as I can...

Hope this helps a bit...

Nosh.

Cyn

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2007, 03:52:28 pm »
Nosh-

Would love to see the pics when you get done!!  Creative ideas are always welcome.

Thanks!
Cyn

meriflower

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2007, 09:54:12 pm »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2007, 10:47:57 pm »
You can check out privacy screens and/or pergolas.  Sundance Spas has some privacy screens available but I'm sure you kind find the same things at a patio & garden store.

http://www.sundancespas.com/Accessories/Complements.html

Or even Home Depot:

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Navigation?marketID=401&locStoreNum=8125&Ntk=AllProps&Ns=P_Topseller_Sort|1&N=10000003+90401+501559&No=12&rpp=12&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&style=B

I also found these options:

http://www.balconyvacations.com/spa_hot_tub_privacy_screens.htm

http://www.deckmateusa.com/photo_album.html

My Advice:  Do not buy the privacy screens listed on the Hot Spring or Sundance websites.  They are both made by the same company (EON/CPI Plastics), are very expensive ($500 retail), but are cheap POS's.  They may match the tub siding, but they only stay put when installed in a horizontal position.   >:(

This was after one day attached to my new patio, and yes, the rust was from a just few days exposed to the elements:
(Aren't the holes in my new patio purty!?)

If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

meriflower

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2007, 12:44:35 am »
Richs100 - I never seen them in person or priced them out - pretty darn expensive for being so cheap & flimsy!  :P   Thanks for sharing!  Where you able to get any of your money back on it or were you out?

Zep

• Cal Spas SQ92 Dallas-Texas
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2007, 07:07:29 am »
All Rich needed was a support beam behind the privacy screen
and not just attach the bottom to the concrete and it probably
would still be standing.

Richs100

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2007, 07:26:46 am »
Richs100 - I never seen them in person or priced them out - pretty darn expensive for being so cheap & flimsy!  :P   Thanks for sharing!  Where you able to get any of your money back on it or were you out?

No, I was able to get a full refund from my dealer who installed it.  (Another benefit of using a good local dealer!)  BTW, he installed the screen exactly according to the instructions that came with it.  

Hey Zep: I consider myself lucky that it fell down so soon because every metal fitting on the screen began to rust after just 2 days outside.  I figure, by now, it would look pretty nasty.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2007, 08:14:33 am by Richs100 »

caribbeansun

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2007, 07:31:53 am »
There are a number of columnar trees that don't take up too much room and grow quite tall - we have a similar situation and we planted 5 European Hornbeam trees in a staggered row - it's going to take a year or so for them to completely cover things but the trees only take up about 10' long and 4' in depth.

Can't plant bushes...the tub is within a good sized patio and the bushes would have to be really big trees to cover that neighbors view from their window since the edge of the patio is a long way from the tub.  Sorry, that maybe kind of hard to picture!  :o  I will try to search...thanks!

Richs100

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2007, 07:44:51 am »
There are a number of columnar trees that don't take up too much room and grow quite tall - we have a similar situation and we planted 5 European Hornbeam trees in a staggered row - it's going to take a year or so for them to completely cover things but the trees only take up about 10' long and 4' in depth.

I replaced the privacy screen with a row of 4 "red tip" bushes.  It will take a few years for them to grow tall enough, but they can be trimmed into a hedge that will be a nice screen for the area.

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2007, 10:18:05 am »
Two thoughts....I used  arborvitae and it works well.  If you are not in the north you could also try bamboo

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2007, 10:31:38 am »
Bamboo will actually grow just fine in the north, but if you even consider it, research carefully. I love my bamboo, but my neighbors hate it and it has caused us problems. they are angry because it makes a perfect 30 foot screen and they can't see to get into my business. You do however need to maintain it as it grows at an unbelievable rate and spreads by underground runners.  ;)
Support your dealer so they can support you!

rick_in_cleveland

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 11:41:11 am »
I thought it dropped its leaves in the winter, allowing those prying eyes to peek

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2007, 11:41:11 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42