What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Info needed about Master Spas 1999/2000 FS 670 L  (Read 17614 times)

Nitrousman

Re: Info needed about Master Spas 1999/2000 FS 670
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 01:40:41 pm »
I did look at another tub a few weeks ago that a spa repair shop had taken from a customer that didn't drain it completed before the winter and froze the manifold and cracked it. They replaced the manifold and water tested the tub with everything working good. They said it comes with a 90 day warranty. It's 98 or 99 Emerald Spa 6 seater no lounger that's 8x8 in size with Balboa digital electronics. I could probably get it for around $1200 and my cover would fit it. Sound like a better deal? How are Emerald Spas?

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2007, 01:40:41 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2007, 02:04:53 pm »
Woudl they deliver it for that price? (that's a $500) Value.  See if the would put a cover on it?  A tub that has been looked over by pro with 90 day warrenty is better than a tub for same price from a stranger, no?

Emerald has the thermal insulation, so once again, cabinet integrity is important. But I can't speak to it's overall quality....

Sorry.  
07 Caldera Geneva

Nitrousman

« Reply #17 on: July 12, 2007, 03:17:19 pm »
I know at that price they won't throw in a cover since I already beat them down from $1800. The tub has the same measurements as my current tub so the cover I had should fit good. Now they said the tub is fully foamed but you say it's different? They had to chop all the foam out around the manifold to replace it and they didn't refoam it because they hate foamed tubs. It does have the 90 day warranty but it is also $450 more than the MasterSpa so which is really better if they're both insulated the same way? The 2000 CalSpa I'm looking at tonight is pretty cheap ($300) so I'm not expecting much but he describes it in great running shape with just needing the wood replaced due to fading so you never know.

Nitrousman

« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 03:20:31 pm »
Woudl they deliver it for that price? (that's a $500) Value.  See if the would put a cover on it?  A tub that has been looked over by pro with 90 day warrenty is better than a tub for same price from a stranger, no?

Emerald has the thermal insulation, so once again, cabinet integrity is important. But I can't speak to it's overall quality....

Sorry.  

They wanted a fee to deliver it but I have a trailer to move it on and they'll load it with a forklift.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 03:24:30 pm »
I'm not  an expert on these spas. but Emerald spas are thermaly insualeted acrocring to thier website.

Insulation       

Emerald Spa’s thermo pane engineered insulation systems offer three levels of thermal protection, enabling you to select the system that is best for your climate. All are engineered to trap air between two layers of high-density foam insulation and utilize the warmth created by the spa’s internal components to assist in thermal retention. You will maximize energy efficiency and minimize your cost-of-use with the Emerald Spa insulation system.

http://www.emeraldspa.com/features_and_options/insulation.html

Now they mention there are different levels of this thermal system, maybe the one they've got is heavy on the foam?

And fwiw, I'm not saying Thermal pane spas are a bad thing, just that they need to be done right to work, and it's a very important consideration. (Espically so for someone in MI, as opposed to someone in FL).  MAsters have had issues with the skirts, but you saw the master and felt it was tight?Then ok.

I wish we had more folks chiming in...it's been slow around here. Plus, used tubs are such a crap shoot... but if I had 1K to spend, I'm thinking the dealer inspected tub for a grand is better than the master. (since they are both about the same age, and you have a cover to fit the dealer one).  But thats just my guess.  at least you could cry to the dealer if the thing really blew a gasget and he might have mercy on you, a private sale has no desire to ever see you again or ability to help you out.. Maybeget the dealer to toss in a filter? or match the price on the Master?

This is kinda like asking someone on the internet if you should by a used car.  ;)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 03:32:22 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Nitrousman

« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2007, 09:11:34 pm »
OK I think I might have found the deal I've been waiting on. I've been emailing this lady back on fourth on a Caldera Geneva tub that she's trying to sell. Getting answers from her is like pulling teeth and she has never answered her phone. She finally sent her address which is really close to where my parents live. Well I've still not been able to get her to answer the phone but I was close by this evening so I stopped in but she wasn't home. Her kids were there and they said to go around the back of the house and look at it. To my surprise the tub is in great shape has a good cover with a lifter and everything. I can't tell what year it is but it can't be older than 2000 by some of the features it has. Looking at a picture of a new one they look almost identical except for the air handles look different. Her kids said the tub worked great but that they drained it a few years ago when their parents got divorced and it's just been sitting. I could get it for $600 bucks but the only problem is that it's in a bear of a place to remove it from. They like this multi-level deck and the deck was built around the tub. :-[ The only way I can see to remove it would be to remove the stair railing on one side and try to tip it on it's side up onto the staircase. The website says it weighs 920lbs for the 07 model so I'm guessing the older ones aren't much less since they look very similar. Nothing ever easy is it? I'm going to see if she'll let me fill it up with water tomorrow and run it. How do I get the air out of the system before I turn the pumps on? Are the Caldera Geneva's a good spa? Thanks.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2007, 10:12:41 pm by Nitrousman »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2007, 09:33:55 am »
I have an 07 Geneva and so far I love it.  But it's only been a month since I got it.   But, It's got a good repuation, (One of the top spas in the Caldera Line)  So for 600 bucks, I think it's worht a 2nd and third look.

To fill it here's what I do for the 07:  NOTE: THIS iS all for an 07. I have no idea what the differences are in a 2000. Geneva.

Make sure the power is off.

Fill the spa by placing the hose into the filter well and making sure the diverters are in them middle position.

Fill the tub (just below the 4 nozzles in the corner estca seat)  NOTE: I don't know if what the seat/jet configuration is for this year.  CHAS is a Caldera dealer and might know.

Normally on a new spa,  it's time to turn the power on and let the Geneva automaticlay turn on the air and jets pumps, however,  since this spa is older and has been drained and  shut down, you may have to prime the pumps. To prime the pumps: open up the union on top of the pump and let the air escape. Tighten it back up.

Once filled,  turn on the power and   wait 5 minutes. The Geneva will then turn the air on and the pumps. you should feel a stong stream from the jets.

After it does it thing for a few minutes you're all set.

Chas,  does that sound OK for a 2000?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 09:38:25 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Nitrousman

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2007, 11:34:46 am »
Thanks for the info. I'm going to go back tonight and take another look at it to see what I can do to get it out. I'm not sure what this lady's deal is since I can not get her to call me back but I'll get an email with brief response like just the address. I'm assuming she's going to have the deck redone after I remove the tub but it would be nice to get her to talk to me. The last email I sent I told her I was coming tonight and I wanted to remove the tub on Sunday. I think maybe I'll just show up with my Sawzall and cut that entire side of the deck off to remove the tub. her son said the number she gave me was her home office phone that she never answers. Makes it hard to sell something when you don't answer it. >:(

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2007, 11:43:52 am »
just be careful. Full foam spas are fantastic for energy efficneny, sound, structual support, but they can be a pain to repair if thery are leaks in the full foamed area. (Usually this isn't too much of a cocern, as most leaks occur in the equipment area and   Caldera is a reputable comapny known for building quality spas, ) but this is a used spa, that sat unused for at least a couple of freezing winters. If they didn't drain it correctly there could be damage. That normally wouldn't occur in  a spa kept filled and running. Ideally, it would be nice to fill this, and without raising any suspicion with the seller, be able to come back a few days later, and noticve the water level and look for signs of leaking. Or, get a 30 day money back  guarentee  for the spa not working or leaking. ????/
07 Caldera Geneva

mattNY

• '91 HS Highlife
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2007, 01:03:23 pm »
I agree with your point Drewstar, but at $600 for a Caldera Geneva, I would personally take my chances.  *Especially* if she'll let you take the subpanel as well, which it sounds like she may since she just wants to be rid of it.  That is a phenomenal deal.

I moved my spa on its side down some stairs, it was a b itch, but we did it with 7 guys.  Once you can carry it horizontal it's not bad at all, and if it's a long distance to the trailer you can use PVC pipes as rollers to save your backs.  The hardest part sounds like it's going to be getting it up out of the deck insert.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 01:03:45 pm by mattNY »

Nitrousman

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2007, 04:50:07 pm »
I've actually got a small picture of it sitting in the deck but I'm not sure how to post it. I made a few calls just out of curiosity to see what a tub place would charge to move it and they said from the description probably between $500-700 bucks OUCH! I think I'll take my chances and do it myself. This thing will have to go up stairs from the backyard and I don't even know if the stairs are wide enough. I need to check the other side of the house to see if I can get my trailer around the back of the house then I won't have to go up the stairs. Hopefully she's there so I can fill the tub and test it. If she doesn't care if I rip the deck apart it'll make it a lot easier.

Nitrousman

« Reply #26 on: July 15, 2007, 12:00:59 am »
So I've been back to the house twice looking at how I can get the tub out of the deck and the lady was there and told me she's in forecloser and will be out of the house in august. She also said if she doesn't sell it she's taking it with her and I was like OK. She told me it was poping the breaker and that her friend thought it was just a bad breaker. So I told her I have a friend that's an electrician and he can change the breaker so we can test the tub. She's says that's fine so I told her I'll be back with him Saturday evening to which she says she'll be home by 7:00. So I head out to pick up my buddy and I call her cell number and she doesn't  answer and it's after 7:00 so I wait 30 minutes and call her again and leave her a message saying we're on our way and that I have the electrician with me and I leave her my cell number again which she already has. We sat at her house for over an hour and she never showed up so now it's dark and we decide to leave and as we're leaving a car drives by slow as I pull out of the driveway but doesn't stop so I think maybe it's her so I call her cell again but no answer. I drop my buddy off and head home and as I pull into my my phone rings and it's her number so I answer it and it's the local sheriff calling from her phone. He wants to know what we were doing at her house so I tell him everything that happened and that we were there waiting for her so we could test the tub and that she knew we were coming and had all my numbers if she needed to contact me. He responds with "Well are you aware that the tub is no longer for sale?" I said no she never mentioned that to me when I talked to her earlier in the day. The cop says "she says she sent you an email to tell you". I said well I don't have 24/7 access to my email and she had both of my phone numbers so she could have just called me and told me that instead of wasting my freaking time. What a freaking nut job, no wonder she's divorced.

windsurfdog

• Loving this cool weather....
« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2007, 05:29:27 am »
Nitrous,

I'm not replying in order to talk you into the Master tub...like others have said in this thread, used tubs are a crap shoot.  What I am replying for is to dispell the misinformation that is being given to you regarding Master and it's quality.  As a 2004 LSX owner, I've had nothing but pleasure from my tub.  My power bills are about $1/day for the tub.  The plastic skirting is not offensive to me.  I have no huge cracks between the skirting and the bottom of the tub as seen in the Hot Springs dealers' pictures.  And I still don't understand what is seemingly offensive about the picture of the MS tub with the panel off...it looks just like mine except for mentioning that there is a sheet of styrofoam insulation that accompanies the skirting that must be removed to access the picture shown.

Good luck with your tub purchase.
We, the unwilling, led by the unqualified, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful...

Nitrousman

« Reply #28 on: July 16, 2007, 10:20:47 am »
Well now I'm back to considering the Master Spa again so the added info helps. The guy with the Master Spa called me and he's willing to drop the price even more since after this week he'll no longer own the house and he really hates to just give it away so I'm probably looking at around $400 to $500 for the tub as it sits and he'll fill it for me so I can see it run. It's getting to the point where it's a hard deal to turn down for the price and I can always add more insulation. There's one other tub that I found over the weekend but they won't go less than $1800 for it. It's 2000 year 6-7 person Cal Spa that is in very nice condition. This one sits outside but the owner has stained it every year and just bought a new cover with lifter for it last December. This tub has the thunder jet in the middle with fiber optic lights and a lounger with somewhere around 40 jets. The owner said he replaced so seals and one of the pumps last year and the tub runs great and currently has water in it so I know it works. Someone said the Cal Spa's are hard to get parts for and hard to find someone to service them put I'm not sure about that. The Master Spa I know has all Balboa controls which seem to be the favored setup in Spa's but you guys could probably fill me in on that. I will need to buy a cover for the Master Spa so there's about a $1000 price difference when all is said and done. Anymore info on these 2 tubs would be great. Thanks again.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 10:42:00 am »
I bet the woman who was selling the tub's divorce isn't final.    She's trying to sell what ever she can for cash and hide it before they have to "split up the assests".   The husband found out and called the sherrif.

07 Caldera Geneva

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: July 16, 2007, 10:42:00 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42