What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: In Praise of Wet Testing  (Read 5465 times)

KY Girl in OH

• I in yur sink . . . soakin mah pads!
In Praise of Wet Testing
« on: July 18, 2007, 01:53:04 pm »
I have tested about 8 or 10 different models over the last 2 days at 3 different dealers (have lost track a little). Amazing how a certain spa does just seem to "call out" to you! You really have no idea what will be comfortable for you until you sit in a few tubs and try them out. The model I ended up loving (and buying :)) was totally opposite of what I expected to like and be comfortable in. I usually take forever over big decisions, but in part due to research beforehand and the great advice I received here I came to a decision really quickly once I found what was comfortable for me. I may be soaking as soon as Friday night. 8-)

So just to reiterate what so many people have already said - - Wet Test! Wet Test! Wet Test!   [smiley=thumbsup.gif]  There are lots of great spas and dealers out there, but if your body isn't comfortable in the spa, why spend the money.

In case anyone is interested, I ended up chosing a HS Prodigy -- honestly from looking at specs/pictures the last one I would have expected to like. Probably wouldn't have even tested it if sales person hadn't suggested it. In that freaky way life has of just sometimes working out, the cabinet and tub I like are in stock, an installation appt. opened up on Friday and I'm off work already. Now, if the electrician can just squeeze me in before then we'll be in business. I'm off to clean the patio -- as soon as I fix the toilet ( :Pand they call this a vacation).

Thanks for all the great advice!
Melissa

Hot Tub Forum

In Praise of Wet Testing
« on: July 18, 2007, 01:53:04 pm »

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
Re: In Praise of Wet Testing
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2007, 02:09:16 pm »
Congrats Mellisa!  :D

You got to post pics when you get it delivered!

We are constantly repeating the mantra to "Wet Test" and it's nice to know another hot tubber took our advice and it helped them out.

:)

« Last Edit: July 18, 2007, 02:56:00 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2007, 02:52:50 pm »
Congrats on the new tub, Melissa.  My first tub was a 93 Prodigy, which was nothing compared to your new one. (7 jets total to your 19!) I hope you have the same good luck with your Prodigy that I did with mine!  Enjoy.
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

96SC

« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2007, 03:04:44 pm »
Congrats Melissa,

This thread can be a good one to refer a newbie to if they have reservations on the necessity of wet testing.

As drew said post pictures.   :)
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

daaw

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2007, 03:38:03 pm »
When I was building my deck, I basically built it so I could recess a hot tub.  I then found this site and learned that not all tubs are the same.  

Because of space limitations I had picked the Marquis Quest or the HS Prodigy.  I was leaning towards the Quest although I wanted to wet test each before buying.  My concerns with the Prodigy were that it shared the same pump as the Jetsetter and I thought I would not get enough pressure.  

Flash forward several months and I found a pre-owned Prodigy (2002?) about 120 miles from me through CraigsList.  Bought it, plugged it in (115V) and jumped in for my first soak.  Immediately I thought, I just wasted $$ as the jets were initially disappointing  :(.  After a few minutes and some adjusting of the controls...WOW…this thing is awesome  ;D.  I cannot wait until the weather cools (sometime in Oct if we are lucky).  I think I will enjoy it even more then.  Even the wife now says she is glad we bought it.  Would you beleive she did not know that you should not wear clothes in the tub???  Such a newbie!!  

Great choice I think!  Congratulations!!  

104 degrees

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2007, 03:43:39 pm »
You go girl!! :) Pics :) 8-)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2007, 03:51:20 pm »
....  Would you beleive she did not know that you should not wear clothes in the tub???  

You'd be surprised of how many beautufil young ladies -who are very well educated-come over to my house to use the hot tub and are compelety ignorant of that.  I have to tell them all the time....yup cause foam. Could scratch the shell, could cause cramping...off with the bikini , it's for your own good.    ;)

07 Caldera Geneva

Mez

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2007, 06:23:22 pm »

You'd be surprised of how many beautufil young ladies -who are very well educated-come over to my house to use the hot tub and are compelety ignorant of that.  I have to tell them all the time....yup cause foam. Could scratch the shell, could cause cramping...off with the bikini , it's for your own good.    ;)

LOL...damn Drwester, sounds like I need to come over to your place :)
I tired to get KY GIrl down for a "no strings attached" wet test since we are practically nieghbors but to no avail...

BTW KY Girl...congrats on your purchase!! You did great! Now post a few pics when you get it...we LOVE seeing pics on here!

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2007, 06:35:09 pm »
Congrats on the new tub, Melissa.  My first tub was a 93 Prodigy, which was nothing compared to your new one. (7 jets total to your 19!) I hope you have the same good luck with your Prodigy that I did with mine!  Enjoy.
They are Hot Spring.  It ain't luck! :) :) ;) ;) :D :D ;D ;D
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

KY Girl in OH

• I in yur sink . . . soakin mah pads!
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2007, 10:26:29 pm »
Posted by: 96SC Posted on: Today at 3:04pm
This thread can be a good one to refer a newbie to if they have reservations on the necessity of wet testing.

That's why I wanted to post about my experience wet testing. It's not that I didn't believe it wasn't necessary, but I didn't really expect the disparity in what I thought I wanted and what was actually comfortable. I thought I'd really like the lounge seat, but even in the smaller Jetsetter this was just not comfortable for me at all. I thought lots and lots of jets would just be heavenly, turns out for me anyway, less is more. I hope others will follow the advice given here it really did make a difference.

Posted by: drewstar Posted on: Today at 3:51pm
I have to tell them all the time....yup cause foam. Could scratch the shell, could cause cramping...off with the bikini , it's for your own good.

;DYou guys crack me up! Still think I'll probably stick with my once piece though.  One of my friends has daughters. Maybe I can con one of their Barbies into posing for a POTD for you ;).

I am making sure my digital camera is charged up for Fri. so I can get some before and after shots of the patio, etc. The electrician is coming tomorrow. Hopefully my nearly 45 year old house will not pose any unexpected problems to the process.

Mez

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2007, 10:41:39 pm »

;DYou guys crack me up! Still think I'll probably stick with my once piece though.  One of my friends has daughters. Maybe I can con one of their Barbies into posing for a POTD for you ;).

We arent choosy KY Girl...a one piece will work :)
Congrats again!

The_Pa._Lady

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 10:42:17 pm »
Melissa,

you chose a great hot tub.  We have a 2006 Prodigy and I can't say enough good things about it.  I know you will love it.  I can't wait for the weather to change and get a bit cooler so we can get back in again.  I still take advantage of some cool mornings, but there aren't many of those yet.  The jets are great but I find it just as relaxing to just sit in the warm water and use the jets once in a while.  Usually soak for one hour.  

Congrats, and happy soaking.  I know you can't wait for Friday, I know the feeling.

scromey

• 2007 D1 Nautilus (Love it)
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 08:38:46 am »
Congrats on your HS prodigy. I wet tested several tubs too and ended up with a different one that expected. I had to drive a little farther, but fell in love when I got in. My wife couldn't get me out. I just waived to all the people walking in to the showroom. I ended up with the D1 Nautilus. Still working on my patio and delivery is still 1.5 weeks out since it was special order and coming from CA. It will give me a chance to finish my bricks and put roofing panels on the underside of my deck to keep water from dripping on us. My brick patio looks great, but I am waiting til I fill in dirt by the edges and try to clean it up a bit before posting too soon. I will have some b4/after picks though.
I cannot wait til I can soak with you all. I will just have to continue to live vicariously through these posts in the mean-time.  :)
scromey

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2007, 08:38:46 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42