What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: new to the world of tubbing  (Read 2868 times)

kokanee001

new to the world of tubbing
« on: July 15, 2007, 01:47:26 am »
Hi, all. I've been sitting invisibly in the background for about 6 months, gleaning all the information I could about everything and anything you all had to say about hot tubs. Last week, I finally took the plunge and am now enjoying my new Hot Spring Vanguard (with the Cover Cradle lifter).
When I started out, I knew nothing about hot tubs. Now I am a bit more knowledgable thanx to all of you. Judging by the questions and answers being posted, I see I still have a ways to go; but there is light at the end of the tunnel.
The chemical thing is still a bit daunting for me (went with bromine), but Hot Spring seems to have an easy setup and I'm sure I'll gradually become more at ease with it. Right now, it seems like I'm always testing (going thru test strips like mad) and trying to tweak things. My dealer says I just need to relax and not be so disturbed by little changes in my water's chemistry. I'm sure it will all seem routine by the time I do my first water change.

Hot Tub Forum

new to the world of tubbing
« on: July 15, 2007, 01:47:26 am »

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
Re: new to the world of tubbing
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 02:43:35 am »
My dealer says I just need to relax and not be so disturbed by little changes in my water's chemistry.

I agree with your dealer. I've don't hundreds of presentations for owners on how to care for their spa. Often in closing I tell them "Relax, it's a spa, not a nuclear reactor so don't overanalysize and drive yourself crazy".
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 12:18:54 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 10:53:24 am »
I think most of us who are interested enough to come to a forum such as this are a little over zealous with water chemistry at first.  Eventually we all settle into a routine that works for us and we lighten up on the testing (maybe sometimes too much).  I am sure the dealers here could tell you there are many with the exact opposite problem..not testing enough or not worrying about water chemistry and how to understand it.

In Canada eh

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2007, 11:37:12 am »
kokanee001

Tony and Spatechs advise in bang on, relax and don't let little changes in your water stress you out

I'll give you a little advise the was given to me when we first got our tub.  I can't take credit for this as it was someone from this board that passed it on to me.  Get yourself into a system during the week, mine is

Thursday       Shock tub with MPS
                        Saturday       Rinse out filter cartridge
                        Sunday        Test water and make any corrections
                        Add one teaspoon of dichlor for each bather after each use
                        Change water after the first 30 days and every 3 months thereafter

That's it in a nutshell.................I'm sure other issues may come up but follow a schedule and you should be able to relax and enjoy :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2007, 11:37:49 am by Confused_in_Canada »
Bullfrog 451

kokanee001

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 09:42:13 pm »
I'm running bromine in my H.S. Vanguard. My dealer gave me some "Spa Lite" to add every week as a shock treatment. I've heard that adding a cup of regular chlorine liquid bleach per 300 gallons of water each week does the job just as well.
Once the supply of what the dealer has given me is gone, would that be a viable  (and cheaper) alternative to buying chemicals?

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 03:26:28 pm »
I don't recommend using liquid bleach.  It is full of fillers (read crap).

Best to use a buffered MPS product.

What type of bromine are you using?
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 05:05:23 pm »
I'm running bromine in my H.S. Vanguard. My dealer gave me some "Spa Lite" to add every week as a shock treatment. I've heard that adding a cup of regular chlorine liquid bleach per 300 gallons of water each week does the job just as well.
Once the supply of what the dealer has given me is gone, would that be a viable  (and cheaper) alternative to buying chemicals?

There are some very knowlegable people that recommend usinig liquid chlorine to shock a bromine spa.  The one reason why I wouldn't if I were in your position is its use could void the warranty on your new spa.

kokanee001

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 10:36:41 pm »
Sounds like good advice. The warranty is not worth endangering over a few measly dollars spent on proper (read "safe") chemicals.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2007, 10:36:41 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42