What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Questions, questions, questions....  (Read 2245 times)

Nosher

• 2007 Sundance Chelsee Owner
Questions, questions, questions....
« on: July 15, 2007, 05:17:53 pm »
Help and advice please......my Sundance Chelsee arrives soon!

1) The concrete should be done next weekend....do I need to make a 'channel' in the wet concrete in order to run the electrical wire once the concrete has cured so it can go under the base of the tub and be invisible?? (pics of your tub and the wiring layout would be great...)

2) Draining - unfortunately the tub will be in such a spot that the ONLY way the drained water will go is UP a hill! Is there any pump solutions on the market that would help?

3) Chemicals - is there a web page available that does the 'chemical treatment of Spa water for dummies' thing? This part of the Hot tub ownership scares the effluent out of me...

Thanks in advance!
Nosh.

Hot Tub Forum

Questions, questions, questions....
« on: July 15, 2007, 05:17:53 pm »

D.P. Roberts

Re: Questions, questions, questions....
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 09:13:21 pm »
Help and advice please......my Sundance Chelsee arrives soon!

1) The concrete should be done next weekend....do I need to make a 'channel' in the wet concrete in order to run the electrical wire once the concrete has cured so it can go under the base of the tub and be invisible?? (pics of your tub and the wiring layout would be great...)

2) Draining - unfortunately the tub will be in such a spot that the ONLY way the drained water will go is UP a hill! Is there any pump solutions on the market that would help?

3) Chemicals - is there a web page available that does the 'chemical treatment of Spa water for dummies' thing? This part of the Hot tub ownership scares the effluent out of me...

Thanks in advance!
Nosh.

1) Many people install a conduit under their slab to run the wiring. I believe that there are different code requirements as to what this conduit has to be. Contact your electrician to be sure.

2) This is somewhat off-topic, but if your tub can't drain "downhill", does this mean that any rain, etc. can't drain away from your tub? If so, you might want to rework your idea. If not, and you just need to drain the tub, I think some people have just used shop vacs with some success. Any submersible pump (like for a pond) could probably do the job too.

3) As for chemicals, do a search here & you'll probably find some good options. Most people recommend dichlor (chlorine for tubs) as the main sanitizer, although some use bromine or other options with success. Once you get the hang of it - especially with a regular dichlor regimen - it's pretty easy.
"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." - Mark Twain

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 09:31:58 pm »
Burying coduit in the concrete is probably your best bet, but always consider code.  Once your concrete is set, rework is a pita.
Brewman

Nosher

• 2007 Sundance Chelsee Owner
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 12:15:25 pm »

1) Many people install a conduit under their slab to run the wiring. I believe that there are different code requirements as to what this conduit has to be. Contact your electrician to be sure.

2) This is somewhat off-topic, but if your tub can't drain "downhill", does this mean that any rain, etc. can't drain away from your tub? If so, you might want to rework your idea. If not, and you just need to drain the tub, I think some people have just used shop vacs with some success. Any submersible pump (like for a pond) could probably do the job too.

3) As for chemicals, do a search here & you'll probably find some good options. Most people recommend dichlor (chlorine for tubs) as the main sanitizer, although some use bromine or other options with success. Once you get the hang of it - especially with a regular dichlor regimen - it's pretty easy.

1) ok - turns out I will be unable to bury it - if I get the measurements wrong, I could end up in real trouble.

2) Thanks - rain water can drain away no problem, but trying to empty a spa full of water may get neighbours complaining...I am currently investigating the submersible pub option.

3) We are going for Bromine. Trawling though the forum following a search for 'Chemicals' 'Noobie' etc..

Thanks for the response!!

Nosh.

MostlyLurkingGal

« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 05:56:12 pm »
I use a submersible pump to empty my tub. Depending on the length of the garden hose, you can pretty much dump the water anywhere you want. Works faster than opening up the drain too. :)

Mez

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 07:08:35 pm »
I use a submersible pump to empty my tub. Depending on the length of the garden hose, you can pretty much dump the water anywhere you want. Works faster than opening up the drain too. :)
My tub is only a month or so old but I already plan on using a sump pump to empty it and put the hose right into one of my downspout drains, right out into the street it will go!
I did bury conduit before I pored the pad, using a sonduit that my local :idiot: at a big box store told me to buy. Wehn the electrician came to wire it, you probably guessed it, the conduit was too small for the wire! So I cut it off even and he ran it right up in front of the tub on top of the slab. I wasnt there when he did it or I would have told him not to do it that way...but as it is, I built a step up platform instead of using steps and simply notched the bottom of it and it sits right over the wires hiding them. I measured exactly where the knockouts on the tub for the wiring was at the dealer and it would have been perfcet with the condiut...it shouldnt be that hard to come very close.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 07:08:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42