What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Hot Tub troubles  (Read 6978 times)

TimetoChill

Hot Tub troubles
« on: July 13, 2007, 04:29:22 pm »
Heya all!

Well, I have been enjoying my D1 2003 Chairman II spa (bought 2nd hand) but noticed some strange behavior from time to time.  Occasionally the main jet controls would not respond, and I would have to use to 2ndary jets buttons to change the speed or shut off the jets.
Well, now things are down right bad!  I noticed that the check filter/water level warnings came on day before yesterday.  I replaced the filters today, but can't raise the water level, because of course there was a water main break this morning, haha.  Anyway, I restarted the tub after the new filters, and a VERY curious thing happened.  I watched the tub computer boot, and then watched as the "Temp set" started dropping on it's own! As if I were setting the temp set lower with the minus button.
I have checked around the main and 2ndary panel, and it looks as tho there is moisture, if not actual water behind the seals.
Anyone have this type of experience before?  I am guessing that the contacts below the buttons have gotten wet and are mimicking the operation of the buttons.
Should I pop the control pads, dry them and re-seal them?  Or is there something I am missing?

Any and all advice would be appreciated.

btw, I am leaving town for the week (of course) and am worried about leaving the tub in this condition.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 04:31:45 pm by TimetoChill »
2003 Dimension 1 Chairman II (400 gallons)  Bought 2nd hand in March 2007 for, are you ready? $1500.00!!

Hot Tub Forum

Hot Tub troubles
« on: July 13, 2007, 04:29:22 pm »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
Re: Hot Tub troubles
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2007, 04:43:19 pm »
Does the "button" pop up when you release it. It could be moisture or it could be that the button is worn, if it kind of doesn't snap up - it's worn. Touchpads do eventually wear out. If it is a touchpad it is usually an overlay with a ribbon cable to connect it to a board.

I'm not a spa tech but am a tech in another field and touchpads sometimes look OK, feel OK but need to be replaced.

Just my $0.02!

TimetoChill

« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 04:52:53 pm »
Thanks Vinny,

You may have a point.  Usually you can feel the micro switch engage when you push buttons, but this tub's buttons don't really provide feedback when they are working properly and I sometimes find myself pressing harder than I need to.  I think the panels may need to come out and be cleaned up and sealed.  Still not sure if I am doing more than needed, so please keep the suggestions coming.

John
2003 Dimension 1 Chairman II (400 gallons)  Bought 2nd hand in March 2007 for, are you ready? $1500.00!!

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 05:09:47 pm »
Generally controllers have 2 types of "buttons" - actual switches that may be activated under an overlay or a touchpad that has 2 hair thin flat metal or carbon contacts when pushed together gets activated.

You may be able to push something up but if it is a true touchpad, you can't. What happens is over the many times a button is pushed or just through aging the elasticity of the material gives out and all that can be done is replacement. With the temp going down it sounds like the button or the contacts of the button are touching each other and is making contact.

I can't speak for a D1 overlay but I believe my Artesian overlay (I will assume with a working touchpad) is about $35 ... If yours is about the same then I wouldn't screw around with the old one, buy a new one and it should fix the problem. To be doubly sure it is a sticking button if you know how to use a DVM then ohm out the connector and one of the combinations may show ohms on it indicating a connected path.

TimetoChill

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2007, 05:19:35 pm »
Vin,

My better 1/2 is an electrical engineer, lol.  So the test shouldn't be a problem.  I was thinking that with possible h2o infiltration, there may be water closing the "minus" button.  I'll take a look around the web to price replacement panels and swap 'em out if they're cheap enough.  I just turned 45, and am transitioning out of the "oh, I can fix this" mode and into the the "time for a new one" mode.  Anyone know a good source for replacement parts for this brand/model?  
Keep those cards and letters coming!

Thnx,

John
« Last Edit: July 13, 2007, 05:22:23 pm by TimetoChill »

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2007, 06:18:57 pm »
It could be moisture but usually touchpads are laminated together.

I'm 48 and still love to fix things, I used to be a hero to my kids when their toys broke now I the 1st National Bank of DAD! ;D Of course at 48 I can't see the things I used to even with glasses so maybe I should charge my kids interest on the money they "borrow" and become a banker.

I imagine that you can buy it directly from D1, Artesian sells parts on-line. You can also try spapartsnet.com to see if they have a generic replacement for it.

TimetoChill

« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2007, 06:42:15 pm »
I took your advice and went to the D1 site.  If I replace all 3 pads, I think it comes out to $26.  I'll wait to hear some more responses til I pull the trigger, not cause I cheap (well, mostly, lol) but just in case someone advises a different source of the problem.  I'm still waiting for the municipality to restore water so I can throw another inch or two to the tub.  On the plus side, I was able to set the temp to 100, and it hasn't gone down on it's own since.

Thanks again there, Vin,

John

TimetoChill

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 10:50:47 am »
Ok folks,

Here's an update... Water service was restored last night, and I topped off the tub.  I ran the jets on full in case there was any air in the jet lines.  I shut the system off and restarted it, only to find the same "Check water level and clean filters" mssg scrolling across the display.  I did pull the 2ndary control panel and it looks watertight.  
I was reading thru the manual and in the troubleshooting section, it states that this mssg could be caused by a sensor error.  Does this sound familiar to anyone here?  Is there a D1 rep or distributor who could provide me some insight?  I'm kind of stumped here at the moment.  Add to that, the fact that I am going out of town for the week, today, and you'll see why I'd like to know what I'm looking at here.
Any and all suggestions will be appreciated.

Thanks all,

John :(

kufferaths

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 10:21:35 pm »
I have the same tub but a 2004.  I am having the same problem you are.  Except my jets only come on when they want to.  In other words I can be just soaking and suddenly the jets will come on.  If I try to turn it off or on it will not respond.  The light will flicker and then suddenly go off also.  I sent an E-mail to a local dealer to find out what to do.

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2007, 11:25:20 pm »
As a 2004 spa, you should be covered by your warranty.  Schedule a service call.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

kufferaths

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2007, 11:33:09 pm »
With your experience, do you think it's an easy fix?

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 10:42:05 am »
With your experience, do you think it's an easy fix?

Many times that indicates a bad topside panel or auxiliary panel.  Both are simple fixes but may have to pull new cable if an auxiliary.

GoBlue

• D-1 Diplomat
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 08:36:30 pm »
Ok folks,

"Check water level and clean filters" mssg scrolling across the display.  
John :(

When I received this error message, it turned out to be a flow switch,  which the dealer replaced under warranty.
If I could just chew through these restraints...

hotubinn

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2007, 11:46:13 pm »
Could also be a bad circ pump, if you have one.  Prior years of the D1 had a sensor in plumbing close to circ pump.  Circ pump doesn't move water, gets hot, heats water in pump, causing trouble with sensor/ flow switch.  No flow = diagnostic messages.

kufferaths

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 12:03:38 am »
My circulation pump is working 24/7.  SO hopefully it's something easy and not expensive.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 16, 2007, 12:03:38 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42