What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Pea gravel base question  (Read 5843 times)

caribbeansun

Pea gravel base question
« on: July 15, 2007, 08:39:15 am »
Backyard is a major construction site right now and after much debate I decided, based what I was told by my dealer, to build the base for my new tub as a frame made out of 2x4 pressure treated wood and then fill it with pea gravel.  I had originally been told to build an 8'x8' frame given that the tub is 92" x 92".  Of course after waiting for numerous trades to show up for the past month or so EVERYONE shows up the day I'm not home.  The guy building our deck was to build the frame - he can't remember the size, wife phones tub dealer who says 87" x87".  By the time she reaches me the frames already built.  Dealer brings in the tub - I say "I thought the tub was supposed to sit on the pea gravel NOT the frame" - right he says.  I assume he knows what he's doing so think no more of it.

While I'm helping the electrician get access to the front panel (I left the factory packaging on due to the continuing landscape construction) I notice the tub is bloody well sitting on the frame at the front.

Sorry for the long story - bottom line - do I need to worry about this or is this fine the way it is?

Hot Tub Forum

Pea gravel base question
« on: July 15, 2007, 08:39:15 am »

Mez

Re: Pea gravel base question
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2007, 10:46:10 am »
I would think you may want to move it off the frame if you can (if its not filled). I built a 2X4 frame for mine and then back filled with Sakrete. If the frame is just sitting on top of the ground I would have to think there would be some settling issues involved. You can always leave it as is now and move it off the frame on your first water change if it is already filled.

104 degrees

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 05:20:20 pm »
Backyard is a major construction site right now and after much debate I decided, based what I was told by my dealer, to build the base for my new tub as a frame made out of 2x4 pressure treated wood and then fill it with pea gravel.  I had originally been told to build an 8'x8' frame given that the tub is 92" x 92".  Of course after waiting for numerous trades to show up for the past month or so EVERYONE shows up the day I'm not home.  The guy building our deck was to build the frame - he can't remember the size, wife phones tub dealer who says 87" x87".  By the time she reaches me the frames already built.  Dealer brings in the tub - I say "I thought the tub was supposed to sit on the pea gravel NOT the frame" - right he says.  I assume he knows what he's doing so think no more of it.

While I'm helping the electrician get access to the front panel (I left the factory packaging on due to the continuing landscape construction) I notice the tub is bloody well sitting on the frame at the front.

Sorry for the long story - bottom line - do I need to worry about this or is this fine the way it is?

I have my tub on pea gravel. its 6" deep and its better then on the frame it self.

Move it and build a bigger frame.

John 104 degrees

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2007, 05:20:20 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42