What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bad case of tub rash  (Read 8210 times)

38super

• I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
Bad case of tub rash
« on: July 06, 2007, 01:11:29 am »
Hi All
I am just about ready to to give up this water sport. ( hot tubing)
In the last 3 or4 for months I have I have a very bad case of Hot tub rash
as I call it. I get it mostly in the groin and under my arms and is VERY hard to cure
I've been to the doc  and he gave me some cream when it was not too bad and steroids when it got very bad. I change the water every 4 months and all readings from test strips are right where they should be . I take a shower after tub which helps but not fully  I would love some help on this
because I love my HOT TUB but when this hits esp below the belt it can make life not so much fun .
I was thinking of changing from chlorine to something else ???? My doc told me it was jock itch
but never having it before I don't know . Question ....What can cause something like this and HOW
do I keep it from happening again . Any info would be great . Any one else have this problem ???? thanks ..Will

Hot Tub Forum

Bad case of tub rash
« on: July 06, 2007, 01:11:29 am »

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
Re: Bad case of tub rash
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 03:00:11 am »
I was thinking of changing from chlorine to something else ???? My doc told me it was jock itch

The only time I have had that in relation to the hot tub is after leaving a wet suit on too long after soaking.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

104 degrees

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 07:00:37 am »
Hi All
I am just about ready to to give up this water sport. ( hot tubing)
In the last 3 or4 for months I have I have a very bad case of Hot tub rash
as I call it. I get it mostly in the groin and under my arms and is VERY hard to cure
I've been to the doc  and he gave me some cream when it was not too bad and steroids when it got very bad. I change the water every 4 months and all readings from test strips are right where they should be . I take a shower after tub which helps but not fully  I would love some help on this
because I love my HOT TUB but when this hits esp below the belt it can make life not so much fun .
but never having it before I don't know . Question ....What can cause something like this and HOW
do I keep it from happening again . Any info would be great . Any one else have this problem ???? thanks ..Will

Get a secound opinion on the rash. When i got "hot tub itch" it was because i had the chlorine to high. since then nothing.

104 Degrees

SpaNE

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2007, 09:14:40 am »
Why not try bromine or something else?  You could be sensitive to Chlorine.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2007, 09:56:04 am »
I also recomend making sure you dry off to avoid the crotch rot and under arm rash and consider switching the sanitizer.  There isDichlor, Bromine  and baqucide(sp) products that work.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2007, 10:41:24 am by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2007, 10:31:52 am »
Some people have sensativities to halogens (chlorine/bromine).  Some to high temps.  I would recommend switching to BaquaSpa, Soft Soak or Leisure Time Free, but [glow]only[/glow] if you work with a dealer that can properly train you.  Most people who understand the products love them.  Those that do not, do not like them.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2007, 10:39:12 am »
If what you have is truly "jock itch" thats a fungus... the kind of thing that you get from walking around a dirty locker room... which tells me that your water wasn't sanitized.  How were you using your dichlor?  Before soaking?  After?
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

wmccall

• Global Moderator
  • Mentor Level Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/BillMcCall1959/
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2007, 11:31:42 am »
If which tells me that your water wasn't sanitized.  ?

Could be a good point. Even though I'm a 4 year vet now I just recently ran into this. When I started with Nature 2, I cut back on my dichlor.  The water was still looking great, but I started getting the slightest symptoms of a rash (no redness, so I didn't recognize it)  after reading this, I thought, even though the water looks great, I might be having a little reaction to bacteria. I added just a bit more dichlor and things are back to normal.
Member since 2003.  Owner Dynasty Excalibur 2003-2012.   Sundance Majesta from 2012-current

104 degrees

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2007, 11:52:53 am »

Could be a good point. Even though I'm a 4 year vet now I just recently ran into this. When I started with Nature 2, I cut back on my dichlor.  The water was still looking great, but I started getting the slightest symptoms of a rash (no redness, so I didn't recognize it)  after reading this, I thought, even though the water looks great, I might be having a little reaction to bacteria. I added just a bit more dichlor and things are back to normal.

Great News. Have a great soak!

spaz

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2007, 03:38:50 pm »
Help!  I think I may also have this ailment but I don't know for sure.  It started off on my neck and now has spread to my armpits and face.  It's not really itchy just ugly.  I had the water tested yesterday and the ph was low and the cholorine was 5.4.  I didn't realize the cholorine was so high.  I have very sensitive skin.  Do you think it is the cholorine.  

104 degrees

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2007, 04:09:57 pm »
Help!  I think I may also have this ailment but I don't know for sure.  It started off on my neck and now has spread to my armpits and face.  It's not really itchy just ugly.  I had the water tested yesterday and the ph was low and the cholorine was 5.4.  I didn't realize the cholorine was so high.  I have very sensitive skin.  Do you think it is the cholorine.  

Could be?? hows the sanitizer?? if i use to much chlorine or sanitizer i get itchy.

spaz

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2007, 04:17:19 pm »

Could be?? hows the sanitizer?? if i use to much chlorine or sanitizer i get itchy.

It's not itchy though.  It's just these raised little red bumps.  And who feels like going to the Doc in the Box on a Sunday--wait for hours--and have them tell you--there's nothing we can do.

No one else who used the tub has a problem.  Except my son just developed his first bump when I got home today.  

I hope it's just too much chlorine but who knows.  

104 degrees

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 04:23:35 pm »

It's not itchy though.  It's just these raised little red bumps.  And who feels like going to the Doc in the Box on a Sunday--wait for hours--and have them tell you--there's nothing we can do.

No one else who used the tub has a problem.  Except my son just developed his first bump when I got home today.  

I hope it's just too much chlorine but who knows.  

You can see your doctor tomorrow. what i had was little red bumps. it started to itch the next day or two days down the road.

You can try some over the counter cream. make sure the chlorine is below 3. make sure you dont use to much sanitizer .

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2007, 04:23:35 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42