What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: D1 ultrapure ozone system worth extra $2k?  (Read 15378 times)

TubGuy 21

Re: D1 ultrapure ozone system worth extra $2k?
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 10:30:18 am »
Scromey,

I dont think you need a long history of treatment.  Basically if you have any chronic back issue and a DR feels that a hot tub will help treat the condition, they should have no problem writng you a script.  It is worth checking out...I saved about $700 up front and I think you can even deduct it as a medical expense (need to check on that when tax season comes up).  I checked the D1, caldera, and hot spring before buying and the D1 turned out to have the most theraputic value for me.  The corner therapy seat has jets that totally surround you, and the sequencer is great too.  I would recommend the D1, but just dont let the sales guy charge you extra $ for the ozonator.  I checked with 2 D1 dealers and neither brought htis up as an extra expense.  The only reason I added the fx package was for the extra lighting and water feature for looks and entertaining...also, go with an 07 because they upgraded the control panel (standard..dont let them fool you) and the base is also the same color as the cabinet instead of black like most others. In my opinion the D1 is a great tub for therapy and the service I have had so far was great.  My pavers were put down and the slope was a diff of 2" from one side the tub to the other (too much). First my dealer came back out and leveled the tub...we determined it was not a good long term fix, so after a few weeks they came back out and moved the tub for me so the pavers could be leveled in that area....then came back the next day to move it back and recconect the wiring.  I am very impressed with the service so far.  You cant go wrong with the quality either.

One more thing....be sure to ask about the 12 mos no payments no int when you are ready to close the deal.....I got 6 mos, but shortly after they were offering 12 from the factory....you should get at least 6 if you want it.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 10:32:01 am by TubGuy_21 »

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2007, 10:30:18 am »

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 12:57:47 am »
D1's ozone system is simply a RIP OFF.  $2K for a $300 ozonator?  This is Purely a sales pitch. Do NOT fall for it.  Ozone does help, but there are levels of sanity (the mental kind)  that needs to be applied to your choices.  Contrary to what the D1 salesperson is telling you ^^^, the competitors treatment processes are JUST as effective.  I have a CD ozonator on my Jacuzzi J370 and have been satisfied with it's 24x7 delivery capabilities (although it only REALLY needs to be delivered periodically).  Put simply, everything has a valid price and D1 salespeople appear to be "too proud" of their products to actually move large quantities of them (and thus the logic why you don't see many people chatting about them online).  Seems like they'd rather "reem" a few customers by charging them a lot than they would to sell at a more "competitive" priced product (as most other dealers do).  So, is a D1 worth $10K?  Maybe.  Is the Ozone worth another #12K?  Probably not and the primary logic is that you can get a top-of-the-line Spa from Hot Springs, Sundance or most any other top teir mfg for the $10K price alone that ALREADY has the ozonator built in.  My rec is that you tell the D1 salesperson that you like it, but in order to compete, he would need to "show goodwill" and "throw it in" for the $10K cost.  Just watch the look on his face when he realizes that your serious!  Take a camera if you can...

So your basically calling me a liar? Obviously my 20 plus years of dealing with just about every brand of spas mentioned on this forum doesn't give me near the experience that you have in owning a spa!

How about this...I will pay for your airline ticket and hotel room to come to my showroom for a week, I will set a D1, a Marquis, a Hotspring an Elite and any other brand we can get our hands on. You try every spa everyday; use nothing but shock and PH balance. At the end of the week if there is a noticeable difference in the D1 water I will eat the cost of the trip. If there is a noticeable difference you reimburse me for the trip, lodging and any other costs,   post a public apology for calling me a liar and stop putting yourself off as an industry expert on this forum!

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2007, 08:46:10 pm »
Actually, I called you a SALESPERSON.   The thing that may have been a mis-understanding is the way the OP stated the COST of the Ozone feature in that particular tub.  I may have mis-read it as a $2K option when he intended to indicate that the ozone option was already included in the $10K total.  It is my personal OPINION that no ozone system is WORTH $2K.  It seems that 99% of the people on this board appear to agree, they would not pay THAT much of a premium for that kind of a feature.  Additionally, I am not an industry expert but rather am a simple hot tub owner sitting behind a screen typing my opinions.  Not certain why you would expect ANY type of apology from me for stating my OPINION on a public form.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2007, 11:19:51 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

scromey

• 2007 D1 Nautilus (Love it)
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2007, 10:43:24 pm »
My original posting may have been misleading about the extra 2k for the ultrapure ozone system. The extra $2k is for the jump from one line (D1 @home sejourn), to the next (D1 reflection nautilus). The Nautilus is actually bigger by one additional seat and has the ultrapure ozone system, which does work differently than any other system (according to thier literature). It's the only ozone system that works while people are sitting in the tub and pumps are running. All ozone is converted to o2 (regular oxigen)before bubbling into the seating area of the tub. http://d1spas.com/D1Difference/D1Difference_Ultrapure.asp

I did a wet test on Saturday and the salesman shot me a deal (I hope), out the door at $9K, with all charges included (cover, lift, steps, chemicals, delivery and setup). The original was almost $10k without counting tax.

My second choice was the sundance chelsee, but I just did not love it . Maybe it was the sales guy, or just that some of the features seemed a little chinsy (waterfall, control panel). It was a really nice tub, but like I said, I needed to feel the love.

Sitting in the D1 Nautilus, I was in heaven. Total therapy chairs with neckflex adjustable pillows. I am definitely NOT a hottub aficionado, but I did fall in love. So, I guess that is what is important.

I called the sundance salesman back since he was trying to work the deal of the century for me, but I told him I JUST pulled the trigger on the D1. I asked him not to tell me what kind of smokin deal he had for me because I did not want to feel like I had made the wrong choice. I am sure I would have been happy with sundance (and an extra grand in my pocket), but sometimes you just have to go with your gut feeling.

I will let eveyone know later if I still feel like I made the right choice.  I still have 2-3 weeks to wait for delivery, but I have to finish my brick patio first anyway.  8-)
scromey

scromey

• 2007 D1 Nautilus (Love it)
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2007, 11:45:18 pm »
One more thing. The $9k was out-the-door including tax which would have been another $720. I think they gave me a good deal.
scromey

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2007, 12:42:58 am »
Fact is Hot Spring ozone runs while jet pumps are on.

You may have gotten a great deal.  You will probably love the tub.  But, the feature was misrepresented. :(
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

ndabunka

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2007, 11:15:56 am »
As an FYI, the ozone system in my Jacuzzi also runs with people in tub and with pumps running so I agree with the prior poster in that the D1 may have mis-represented their advantages in that area.

Just as long as you realize that you are paying a premium for the D1's, you should be set.  There are a fair number of well-respected tub manufacturer's out there selling VERY similar 92 x 92" Luxury Spas for less than your $9K "out the door" price.  So, did you get the best price possible in that size of tub with similar features?  The answer is no.  However, $9K out the door for a D1 is a pretty aggressive price (from a D1 dealer).  I think that even the D1 salesperson ^^^ would agree with me on that one.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 11:38:20 am by ndabunka »

nsavarirayan

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2007, 11:16:04 am »
Hey Scromney,

I just got a Diplomat myself recently - I got mine used - but I do love the tub.  I personally believe you got an awesoem deal since I was looking at a new diplomat which was like 9K plus tax.  The therapy on these tubs are really nice - plus I have swapped out some of the jets with these dual rotating jets (in fact you can swap out with a few different jets for a different message).  To Be honest my biggest complaint about a lot of the hot tubs I tested which were under 10K did not have the best neck and upper shoulder jet system.  The D1 with the neck flex technology is really nice and shoots some high speed jets all over your neck and shoulders.  Your tub has two of these setas so you are going to enjoy this tub.  Good luck to ya and post a picture of your setup once it is all done.

Spatech_tuo

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2007, 01:17:27 pm »

Just as long as you realize that you are paying a premium for the D1's, you should be set.  There are a fair number of well-respected tub manufacturer's out there selling VERY similar 92 x 92" Luxury Spas for less than your $9K "out the door" price.  So, did you get the best price possible in that size of tub with similar features? The answer is no.

Bunka,
Your opinion is "no" but that doesn't make it "the answer". You may be more well read about spas than the average consumer but sometimes you come in here and state opinions but present them as facts. It sure would be nice if you'd throw in an IMO every once in a while.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with being a spa salesmen (some are great, some suck and the majority are somewhere in between) but I would consider Stuart to be far more than a "salesman" in this industry. I'll side with him and his hands on experience on this one.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 01:19:30 pm by Spatech_tuo »
220, 221, whatever it takes!

nsavarirayan

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2007, 02:15:42 pm »
As an FYI, the ozone system in my Jacuzzi also runs with people in tub and with pumps running so I agree with the prior poster in that the D1 may have mis-represented their advantages in that area.

Just as long as you realize that you are paying a premium for the D1's, you should be set.  There are a fair number of well-respected tub manufacturer's out there selling VERY similar 92 x 92" Luxury Spas for less than your $9K "out the door" price.  So, did you get the best price possible in that size of tub with similar features?  The answer is no.  However, $9K out the door for a D1 is a pretty aggressive price (from a D1 dealer).  I think that even the D1 salesperson ^^^ would agree with me on that one.

I personally do think he got one of the best feature sets for that price.  The neck jet system alone is not found on other tubs at the same price - and this is on two of the seats.  Plus the total number of therapy jets is greater then most tubs in the same price. He basically got a 8000K tub if you throw out tax and extras.  the HS Vanguard would have cost me over 9k out the door and that one of the other tubs with good neck jets.  The Marquis epic had great neck jets but base price was 10K.

ndabunka

« Reply #25 on: July 03, 2007, 11:56:05 am »

Just as long as you realize that you are paying a premium for the D1's, you should be set.  There are a fair number of well-respected tub manufacturer's out there selling VERY similar 92 x 92" Luxury Spas for less than your $9K "out the door" price.  So, did you get the best price possible in that size of tub with similar features?  The answer is no (IMHO).  However, $9K out the door for a D1 is a pretty aggressive price (from a D1 dealer).  I think that even the D1 salesperson ^^^ would agree with me on that one.

OK, edited.  Didn't think there was a need as I didn't expect someone to take my response as an industry definitive but I did add the IMHO for the clarification.  I too, like D1 and may well own one in the future (as long as I can get a good deal on one).  I do believe that other spas have similar (not EXACT) capabilities at lower cost so if price is your driver, then there are other options.  However, if a particular feature is a driver, then "BAM, that mfg has leverage over you".  That's important information for the buyer to be self-aware of but that doesn't mean that the buyer should let the salesperson know of such a desire.  Rather, buyers should IMHO protect their leverage points such as alternate comparable vendors.   As you stated, some salespeople are GREAT and would not use knowledge of your desire to their advantage but many, many others would.  It's a standard normally acceptable and reputable selling technique.  I really have no issues with Stuart but he may still have some issues with me (I never said that D1 was a bad tub, only that they were generally pricey).  As far as the efficency of the ozone design... maybe it has advantages, maybe it doesn't.  I think the place this went of kilter was the cost of the ozone system.  If it's not a $2K option, then this is all really unnecessary because all I was trying to do was to let a buyer know that they do not need to pay $2K for a good ozone system.  I see the OP has recognized and corrected some text so it may all be mute anyway.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 12:03:17 pm by ndabunka »

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #26 on: July 03, 2007, 03:53:53 pm »
If it makes you feel any better, I also interpreted the original post to say that the ozone system cost an additional $2k.  This whole thread changes when that is not the case. ;)

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2007, 04:38:16 pm »
I too thought the ozone system was a $2,000 upgrade. When I bought my tub there was an upgraded system that could be factory installed for an additional charge and my dealer said - don't waste your money.

One thing that should be noted is that most info on any subject is based on opinions - professionals and owners alike. There may be some info that is not based on opinion but fact (ie: need to use sanitizer) but there are very few things mentioned that is a "fact". Stuart mentioning that the D1 in his store keeps it's water better than any other tub may indeed be a fact for Stuart but another person may not arrive at the same conclusion. The other fact may be that the D1 is using the Vision cartridge that is an expensive N2 cartridge and for that money it should keep the water better ($125 vs $25).

But if you soaked every day and added dichlor after soaking the fact (or maybe opinion) is that you don't need any other product to keep your water safe. All the other products are there to help maintain the water.

I agree with ndabunka that D1 is an expensive spa but so is Hot Springs, Sundance and Artesian premium spas. I was impressed with the interior equipment cabinet on the D1 on how neat and tidy it was. My tub isn't quite as neat and tidy. IMO the flaw with D1 is the neck jet system ... it might eventually crack and need replacement as the hoses flex (if I remember correctly it was an accordian type system). I remember looking at the neck jet and thinking that one of my kids were going to hand the device to me and said "it just came out". I have neck jets in a collar and I do use them occassionally and I don't find my system very comfortable at times, living with anything is the only way to know what works and what doesn't. I did see an Emerald Spa and their neck jets were not in a collar and not flexible and thought that was a good design ... again this is just my opinion.

I think the thing to realize is if something is a "must have" and the brand you selected is the only one that has it, then no sustitute will work for you and if your OK with the price it doesn't matter what another person thinks is a good or bad price.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2007, 06:17:45 pm »
My original posting may have been misleading about the extra 2k for the ultrapure ozone system. The extra $2k is for the jump from one line (D1 @home sejourn), to the next (D1 reflection nautilus). The Nautilus is actually bigger by one additional seat and has the ultrapure ozone system, which does work differently than any other system (according to thier literature). It's the only ozone system that works while people are sitting in the tub and pumps are running. All ozone is converted to o2 (regular oxigen)before bubbling into the seating area of the tub. http://d1spas.com/D1Difference/D1Difference_Ultrapure.asp

I did a wet test on Saturday and the salesman shot me a deal (I hope), out the door at $9K, with all charges included (cover, lift, steps, chemicals, delivery and setup). The original was almost $10k without counting tax.

My second choice was the sundance chelsee, but I just did not love it . Maybe it was the sales guy, or just that some of the features seemed a little chinsy (waterfall, control panel). It was a really nice tub, but like I said, I needed to feel the love.

Sitting in the D1 Nautilus, I was in heaven. Total therapy chairs with neckflex adjustable pillows. I am definitely NOT a hottub aficionado, but I did fall in love. So, I guess that is what is important.

I called the sundance salesman back since he was trying to work the deal of the century for me, but I told him I JUST pulled the trigger on the D1. I asked him not to tell me what kind of smokin deal he had for me because I did not want to feel like I had made the wrong choice. I am sure I would have been happy with sundance (and an extra grand in my pocket), but sometimes you just have to go with your gut feeling.

I will let eveyone know later if I still feel like I made the right choice.  I still have 2-3 weeks to wait for delivery, but I have to finish my brick patio first anyway.  8-)

Curious did the Sundance dealer even show you the 800 series of Sundance spas and or did you wet test one of those?  
They would have been more comparable to what you were looking at in the D1 line as far as jets and styling go.  

If he didnt and if he new you were looking at a D1, he blew it big time?? You still may have chosen the D1 but you have to compare apples to apples.

Either way, congrats on the purchase!  :)

62VW

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 02:21:27 pm »
The Sundance Cameo that I recently ordered will heve the Ultra Pure ozone system in it. The dealer said it was a $300 option, but he was not charging for it due to the fact that I am the first one to use the Ultra Pure system from this dealer. Can you say "guinea pig"?

-62VW

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2007, 02:21:27 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42