What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Bromine not sticking  (Read 6339 times)

beaugart_mr

Bromine not sticking
« on: July 09, 2007, 12:22:05 pm »
I installed a Jacuzzi J-345 about 10 days ago and I am using bromine.  For some reason I cannot get a bromine reading when I test.  I have talked to a couple of different dealers and done exactly what they suggested.  I have shocked, I have used some kind of bromine kicker, I even busted up a tablet and put that in the water.  When I have tried the above, I do get a reading, but the next morning the reading is gone.  I have the floater at 3 with two tablets....I have even opened that up from a suggestion.

HELP...ANY IDEAS????

Hot Tub Forum

Bromine not sticking
« on: July 09, 2007, 12:22:05 pm »

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
Re: Bromine not sticking
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2007, 01:39:44 pm »
One is to make sure your Ph and alk. numbers are in range.  Not sure how sensitive bromine is to that.  Second is to take a water sample to your dealer and have them check if for you.  

Brewman

beaugart_mr

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2007, 02:03:38 pm »
PH and Alk are in range and I did take a sample to my dealer and he had me try a couple of other things that also did not stick.  His response is "that is why I like chlorine."

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2007, 02:13:16 pm »
 How does the tub smell,how does the water look any issues there?

Also are you using the built in bromine feeder?

Give me a call if you like.  360)650-0777 Pac time 9;30 to 5;30

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
  • never ask for what you are not willing to give
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 02:55:03 pm »
Something is off, it appears you have tried testing with different sources? If your ph and alk are in line than perhaps you have some high bacteria in your water that is just using up the bromine. I would try a heavy shock of di chlor.

beaugart_mr

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 03:23:45 pm »
water looks clear and there is no odor.  Have tested myself and a dealer a different way.  One dealer told me to put chlorine in another told me not to as I should not mix the two.  I have not tried that as of yet.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 03:55:56 pm »
they are fine to mix and the di chlor will convert to bromine. I would add it as it seems like there just might be something in your water that is burning up your bromine.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 04:14:28 pm »
they are fine to mix and the di chlor will convert to bromine. I would add it as it seems like there just might be something in your water that is burning up your bromine.

This is excellent advise.  The dealer that said you could not add chlorine to a bromine spa does not know water chemistry and IMO cannot be trusted for advise.  As Mendo said, add dichlor whenever your bromine level drops to zero or after a large party in your spa.  This will work better than adding more bromine or non chlorine shock.  The key to bromine tabs in a floater is to start with a bromine bank using sodium bromide which is granular.  Then add and adjust the floater with bromine tabs.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 04:48:52 pm »
I agree with adding dichlor to the bromine. Bromine will convert chlorine to bromine.

I do have a question though - only 2 pucks in a floater, isn't that too little? I would think that you want to put at least a half dozen or more in. Not trying to be funny, I would think it needs more pucks to work.

beaugart_mr

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 05:15:00 pm »
I had two..but filled the floater up so now there is about 8 pucks in there.  I have the floater set at three.  Should I change that to 4 or 5?

Also, I added bromine concentrate yesterday that got me a reading...but again, today I had no reading.

Mendocino101

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 07:08:12 pm »
there is something that is using up your bromine, again I would hit hard with some di chlor to see if that allows you to build a residual of bromine, that or you have some bad bromine ( not Likely)

hottubdan

• Ultimate Member
  • In the spa business for over 20 years.
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2007, 07:40:59 pm »
I would super chlorinate.

I am curious where you live.  The spa is water tested in Chino.  Then it is shipped to your dealer who then delivers it to you.  If it has gone through hot areas in a trailer, you can have developed huge demand. :-X

Also, what is your bather load?

If you have chlorine, follow instructions for superchlorination.
Award winning Hot Spring dealer for a gazillion years.

Jacuzzi Jim

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2007, 07:44:21 pm »
 He lives in California.

beaugart_mr

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 12:13:34 pm »
okay, after speaking with Jacuzzi Jim..may have figured it out.  Thanks Jacuzzi Jim.  I blasted with di chlor and seem to have a reading that lasted through the night.  Now of course, it is too high, but I assume that will drop.  The issue maybe the fact that my dealer had me add the "pro clear" filter within my filter.  In talking with Jim and researching on the jacuzzi site, that filter is not suppose to be used with bromine.  They could have been countering each other out.

If that is indeed the case, how long now tell my bromine and chlorine levels drop to an acceptable level?

I assume this this is the trial and tribulations of being a new spa owner.

Brewman

• Ultimate Member
  • Lead me not into temptation- I can find it myself!
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 01:27:16 pm »
Depends on how high it is now.  Dichlor dissipates relatively quickly.  
Brewman

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 01:27:16 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42