What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Taylor Test Kit & Chlorine  (Read 2388 times)

The_Pa._Lady

Taylor Test Kit & Chlorine
« on: July 10, 2007, 09:32:47 am »
How do you test if the reading is 10PPM when you do a superchlorination?  How do you know if it's at 10PPM when the reading on the Taylor Test only goes up to 5PPM?  What am I missing?  The Bromine (Br) goes up to 10 but not the Chlorine.

Thanks for helping.

Hot Tub Forum

Taylor Test Kit & Chlorine
« on: July 10, 2007, 09:32:47 am »

Vermonter

• Patriots!!!!!!!
Re: Taylor Test Kit & Chlorine
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 10:18:08 am »
In my opinion, the easiest way to check chlorine levels which may be above the high end of your test method is to simply take non-chlorinated water (e.g. bottled water or well water (if it hasn't been chlorinated or ozonated)) and dilute your spa water until you get into a range you can read.  If you can go to 5 ppm and if you think you are at >10 - <20 ppm, then if you add 3 parts of the "non-chlorinated" water to 1 part of your spa water (mix it) and then test the mix, you should be in the <5 ppm range.  If you think you are under 10 ppm, you can simply use a 50:50 mix and see if you get a reading.

To be technically correct, you should also run the water you'll be diluting with "straight" to make sure it reads "0".  If you don't get "0" or a very low reading, you should try another water to dilute with.

Sorry - modifying my post.  I forgot to say that whatever your dilution ratio is, you need to multiply your results by that ratio to determine what your spa water's chlorine level is truly at.  For instance, if you dilute 50:50, then you take your reading and multiply x2.  If you dilute 1:3 (ratio of spa to non-chlorinated water) you would multiply x4.

Best,

Vermonter
« Last Edit: July 10, 2007, 11:50:22 am by Vermonter »

Hot Tub Forum

Re: Taylor Test Kit & Chlorine
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2007, 10:18:08 am »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42