What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cover lifter tore my redwood up  (Read 3683 times)

t6texan

• Tiger River Begal
Cover lifter tore my redwood up
« on: July 05, 2007, 11:44:53 pm »
 Help when i went to close my cover tonight the lifter riped out on one side of the redwood cabinet Breaking the boards. >:(what kind of glue should i use to glue all the broken boards back . And should they also be glued back to the foam insulation. What if any thing can i do to make it stronger  , so it doesn't happen again?

Guess ill have to unbolt the cover lifter to start my repairs.

Hot Tub Forum

Cover lifter tore my redwood up
« on: July 05, 2007, 11:44:53 pm »

Pathfinder

Re: Cover lifter tore my redwood up
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2007, 12:42:21 am »
For glue Id go with gorilla glue  or Pl Premium  If they are in disrepair on your new pieces  I would suggest predrilling and using wood or drywall anchors to screw into. Thats what I do for cedar skirted tubs.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2007, 11:04:47 am »
Sorry to hear about that Brad.  Call Stefan at our repair center 939-2956 and he can advise you on the best way to fix it.  If you need us to do it, let me know.

Chris
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

t6texan

• Tiger River Begal
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2007, 08:22:47 pm »
thanks for the advice guys.  i've been unbolting cover lifter this evening to asses the board damages. Chris I was wondering would it be possible to buy one slat of the siding boards? Theres only one tore up real bad. I will give Stefan the repair guy a call next week. Thanks Brad

t6texan

• Tiger River Begal
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 01:32:31 pm »
Ok i've removed the cap strip boards on the cabinet so i could remove the broken siding pieces witch i have glued back together. The cap strips that cover the seems appeared to have been glued on with glue and  beads of silicone on the out side edges to water proof the seems. I scraped old silicone and glue off the wood . now i'm ready to put things back together  i'm going to use the gorilla glue and silicone on the seems. I hope the gorilla glue expansion does'nt get me as ive never used it before.  I will keep you posted as to how it all turns out.

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 02:35:42 pm »
Use the gorrila glue sparingly.   It foams and the hardened foam is worse than cement to sand or cut away.

07 Caldera Geneva

Dr. Spa™ Ret.

• Ultimate Member
  • Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 03:48:03 pm »
Sorry drew, I have to disagree. We use polyurithane glue by the 55 gallon drum (no joke) and it cuts and sands almost like wood.
If you can't sell it on eBay, it may not even qualify as landfill.

Retired (mostly) from the industry after 33 years...but still putzing around with a consumer information website, and trying to sell obsolete owners manuals

t6texan

• Tiger River Begal
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 04:11:46 pm »
how about elmer ultimate bull glue ? is it the same as gorrilla glue?

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 04:16:33 pm »
Sorry drew, I have to disagree. We use polyurithane glue by the 55 gallon drum (no joke) and it cuts and sands almost like wood.

That's not my expereince with using Gorilla glue.   But then again, I'm just Joe homeowner, and the first few times I used it, I had a mess. There is a slight learnig curve if you are new to these adhesives.  ;)

Anyhow, not trying to debate anything, but when I used Gorrila glue, it foamed, and was a PITA to clean up.  If you use it, you should be careful with it. YMMV.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 04:18:08 pm by drewstar »
07 Caldera Geneva

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 04:28:48 pm »
When you reinstall the lifter make sure you hit the wood support on the spa. I installed mine into the top 2x4 and it is as secure as it needs to be.

East_TX_Spa

• Mentor Level Member
  • 30 Year HotSpring Spa Dealer
    • I Love My Spa
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 08:47:42 pm »
Chris I was wondering would it be possible to buy one slat of the siding boards? Theres only one tore up real bad.

Yes, just let me know which one you need and I'll get it for you. :)

Chris
Just layin' low and chucklin' in my stomach wif' da fidgets...

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2007, 08:47:42 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42