What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Recessed Spas in Concrete Paver Patios--Advice?  (Read 12880 times)

2busymom

Recessed Spas in Concrete Paver Patios--Advice?
« on: July 02, 2007, 04:03:13 pm »
I am about to install a Marquis into a concrete patio paver (about 18-22 inches deep).  I just read, with horror!  :o a problem with mice getting into the spa.  Any other things I should know or worry about with this set up?  

Of those of you who have this, did you regret anything about it?  I thought it would be a good idea for the look, since my yard is very small and I didn't want the hot tub to be the focal point of the garden.  Thanks. for all of your help
2007 Marquis U630

Hot Tub Forum

Recessed Spas in Concrete Paver Patios--Advice?
« on: July 02, 2007, 04:03:13 pm »

96SC

Re: Recessed Spas in Concrete Paver Patios--Advice
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2007, 04:10:18 pm »
Be sure to leave enough room to open the compartment door and if you are prone to have a lot of rain in your area, could the rain accumulate and give you a small pool for your spa to 'swim' in? :-/
« Last Edit: July 02, 2007, 04:11:15 pm by 96SC »
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2007, 04:16:24 pm »
I am about to install a Marquis into a concrete patio paver (about 18-22 inches deep).  I just read, with horror!  :o a problem with mice getting into the spa.  Any other things I should know or worry about with this set up?  

Of those of you who have this, did you regret anything about it?  I thought it would be a good idea for the look, since my yard is very small and I didn't want the hot tub to be the focal point of the garden.  Thanks. for all of your help
Svspa has a similar setup to the one you're describing. He will be able to give all the advice you need if he sees this. Maybe send him a PM.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2007, 04:18:15 pm »
Service, air flow and water are the biggest problems. There has to be enough room for a service tech to get to all that's needed. You don't want the motors to not have air flow and get too hot; all full foam spas have vents for this. As 96SC said, there needs to be drainage so the tub doesnt become waterlogged.

My tub sits on a deck that's lower than the main deck. I made sure that everything is accessible and it can be worked on if the need ever arrises.

2busymom

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2007, 10:35:36 pm »
Thanks Chad, I will look for Svspa and send a message.  Vinny, good advice about the drainage.  The contractor has left about 3'8" for clearance and says that the drainage has been accounted for.  As I look at this empty hole I wonder how I will get the water out of the spa since the drain holes are at the bottom and there isn't a specific drain for the spa, I think I will need to talk to him about it, I don't want maintenance or changing the water to be an ordeal! ::)
2007 Marquis U630

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2007, 10:39:18 pm »
The drain hole won't really be a problem. You will find that most folks on here never use that to drain the spa. I know I use a pool vacuum hose and create a syphon. Come to think about it, I don't even know where my drain is... :o :-/
Support your dealer so they can support you!

2busymom

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2007, 12:42:14 am »
That is interesting Bonibelle, looks like another topic for me to search on...how do you drain your spa folks?  And also, what was it that you learned about spa ownership that you wished you knew enough to ask about at the beginning
2007 Marquis U630

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2007, 10:17:13 am »
Busy Mom, maybe you would want to start another thread about drainning and cleaning the spa. There could be a time that you have to access that plug, but I have to say, I am not aware of it. I will be doing that myself this afternoon...my tub is way over due for a good cleaning. ;)

96SC

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2007, 11:19:25 am »
The drain hole won't really be a problem. You will find that most folks on here never use that to drain the spa. I know I use a pool vacuum hose and create a syphon. Come to think about it, I don't even know where my drain is... :o :-/

2busymom
If the bottom of your spa is lower than the surface you are syphoning your water onto (as in your case with the spa 18-22" into the ground) it won't work.  You have to syphon onto a lower surface than the bottom of your spa. Assuming you want to syphon out all the water  :-?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 11:27:44 am by 96SC »
Before I speak, I have something important to say--Groucho Marx

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2007, 11:22:21 am »
Or you could use a pump.

07 Caldera Geneva

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2007, 06:13:31 pm »
Ha, I am so used to the hills where I live, I just think everyone has a down hill....but do those of you who are recessed use your plugs, or do you do as Drew says and pump it out?

Chad

• 2006 Jacuzzi J-345
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2007, 07:07:39 pm »
Here's a link to a recent thread about recessed spa installations
http://www.whatsthebest-hottub.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1177809862/0#0

2busymom

« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2007, 10:58:02 pm »
Thanks everyone, really good things to consider.  I met with my contractor today, and he told me that there is a drain in the hole if I want to use that for drainage, or I could opt to use a pump the water out.  96SC, you're right, I BARELY remember my high school science class, but remember that gravity does play a role is siphoning.    ;)

The other thing with the access is that the access is at the front of the spa on the Marquis, which is kind of a drag, because that was the part we wanted to have right next to the concrete pavers.  I thought that I could use wooden slates like in the pictures Chad directed me to.  He said he would do that if I wanted him too, but also suggested that he could build a table that would fit inside the 3 foot access area and then place pavers in the same pattern on top of that table, when I need service I would have to move the pavers and move the table, but then it would have the consistent look I have planned for. :)  Seems like a bit of work, and I told him that I would need chalk drawings or numbers to make sure that the puzzle pieces of my patio stays consistent.

Here are a couple of pictures.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 11:17:52 pm by 2busymom »
2007 Marquis U630

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2007, 08:14:18 am »
Access to the front side (equipment bay) of your spa should be designed for frequent access.  With the other sides you can get away with more emergency type acess but the equipment bay will and should be opened on a regular basis.  A trap door of sorts would work best, IMO.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 07:37:53 pm »
Looking at the photos, and thinking more about the patio, I would think the best solution is to raise the tub up 2 courses and push it as close to the center of the patio as the opening will allow.

The back by the wall looks like there is not too much access for repairs if some are needed. Being down a little may be OK as the equipment is accessable. THe patio blocks can then be installed permantly and there won't be any worrry about water. It was mentioned somewhere that you need to have sand (or whatever) for the pavers to look natural.

Remember that if you install the bottom of the spa below grade - take the screws on the bottom of the cabinet off where the obstruction of the pavers will be. You don't want to install the tub and find out you can't take the panels off.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2007, 07:37:53 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42