What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Draining Solutions for Recessed Spas & Others  (Read 5781 times)

2busymom

Draining Solutions for Recessed Spas & Others
« on: July 03, 2007, 11:15:57 pm »
I am planning to partially recess (about 18") a Marquis Spa Tub.  We are planning to leave space to access the panel (and drain holes) but learned that many people do not use those holes and have various methods of draining thier tubs.

How do you drain your spas?  If you have a recessed portable spa, did you build a drain to drain the tub, do you use a pump, have you had any success in siphoning the water?

Here's a picture of the opening we are planning to put the spa in when it's delivered in a couple of weeks. I did it (posted the pictures!)  Yea!!!

2007 Marquis U630

Hot Tub Forum

Draining Solutions for Recessed Spas & Others
« on: July 03, 2007, 11:15:57 pm »

MarKee

Re: Draining Solutions for Recessed Spas & Others
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2007, 02:46:40 am »
That looks like a beautiful setup.  I would suggest getting a submersible pump.  They drain the spa a lot faster than siphoning or the regular spa drain.  I believe Home Depot/Lowes sell them for under $100

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2007, 08:22:12 am »
My spa is partially sunk into my deck but I still prefer to use the spas drain to empty mainly because it is a two inch drain and works faster than the pump I have.  A small utility pump works well.  Everyone should own one and I have used mine to empty the spa.  In your situation, a pump would work best.  A small wet vac for the residual may also be helpful.

2busymom

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2007, 11:05:06 am »
I mentioned in a seperate post that my contractor would build a table and then place loose pavers on top of that table so that the look stays consistent.  A set up as he suggests would require moving pavers and lifting the table out to get access to the panel.  Tony suggested a trap door because I would need frequent access.  As you can see in this picture, the front of the spa would be facing the main part of the patio, not the back (close to my kid's rocket launcher).

How often does a spa owner generally need to get to the panel (maybe 3-4 times a year to drain the spa, if you use the drain holes).  Looking at my property the spa pad does sit slightly higher than the other parts of the yard.
[glow]
MarKee, [/glow]how does a submersible pump work?  [glow]Tony, [/glow]do you use both the spa drain holes and a pump to drain your spa?  Where does the water go in your set up, to a drain in your yard or to the gutter?  How long does draining take without extra equipment?
2007 Marquis U630

MarKee

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2007, 01:16:29 pm »
A submersible pump drops into the bottom of your spa and plugs in to a 110v outlet.  It has a hose connection on it, so you hook up a garden hose, plug it in, and it starts pumping.  Very simple.  It's what we use to drain all of the spas at the store I work at.

Vinny

• Ultimate Member
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2007, 02:01:17 pm »
My advice would be buy a smallish submersable sump pump. It will come with a 1 1/4 inch opening and should be able to drain fairly quickly. I have a pool cover pump and it works but slowly. If and when this pump dies, that's what I would get.

I also use sump pump tubing but for some reason it drains about 3/4 of the spa and loses it's suction.

tony

• Ultimate Member
  • 2002 Optima
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 02:38:07 pm »
A table would work but you would not be able to fill in between the pavers.  I am in my equipment compartment quite a bit, but thats just me.  I am always inspecting to be sure all is well.  I only use the drain to empty my spa, but I have a 2 inch outlet and a two inch flat hose and it takes virtually no time to drain.  Most spas have a 3/4 inch outlet which is much slower.  My spa came with a 3/4 inch hose converter/reducer to be able to drain with a garden hose but it is dreadfully slow.  I have a wooded back yard and drain to there.  I don't like to drain to the lawn because the flow of water is heavy.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2007, 02:38:07 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42