What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Spa umbrellas -- who's got the best price?  (Read 3456 times)

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
Spa umbrellas -- who's got the best price?
« on: June 29, 2007, 04:52:55 pm »
So I need to buy a spa umbrella because this Colorado sun is just killing me during morning soaks.  I searched the forum and it looks like Liesure Concept's SpaUmbrella is considered the best.  Then there's all the lower end stuff that's sold at Lowes, etc.  So....

Is it really worth spending the extra on the Liesure Concepts model?  If so, any dealers here wanna hook me up with a good price? :D  If the "lesser" generic umbrellas are suitable, is there anyone that wants to recommend the best place to get one?
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Hot Tub Forum

Spa umbrellas -- who's got the best price?
« on: June 29, 2007, 04:52:55 pm »

Mez

Re: Spa umbrellas -- who's got the best price?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 06:35:26 pm »
So I need to buy a spa umbrella because this Colorado sun is just killing me during morning soaks.  I searched the forum and it looks like Liesure Concept's SpaUmbrella is considered the best.  Then there's all the lower end stuff that's sold at Lowes, etc.  So....

Is it really worth spending the extra on the Liesure Concepts model?  If so, any dealers here wanna hook me up with a good price? :D  If the "lesser" generic umbrellas are suitable, is there anyone that wants to recommend the best place to get one?

I bought one of the lesser brand models at Lowes, $199 for an offset 10 ft diameter. All aluminum except for the 3 ft. tube it slides down into. It swivels, pivots and all the other things the models I saw at out local pool and patio place sells...and for about $500.00 less. It is a no brainer in my mind.
Unless a naked woman drops out of the $700-$800 models, save your money....its an umbrella afterall.

pg_rider

• I've been Optima-ized
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 06:52:46 pm »
I bought one of the lesser brand models at Lowes, $199 for an offset 10 ft diameter. All aluminum except for the 3 ft. tube it slides down into. It swivels, pivots and all the other things the models I saw at out local pool and patio place sells...and for about $500.00 less. It is a no brainer in my mind.
Unless a naked woman drops out of the $700-$800 models, save your money....its an umbrella afterall.
Cool, thanks for the reply.  What kind of base did you use? All I see on the Lowes website are "standard" bases which don't seem like they'd be heavy enough to support the offset umbrella...
Paul G.
2006 Sundance Optima

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 07:03:41 pm »
Paul, I've got the HotSpring umbrella which I think is similar in quality to the brand your looking at.  I suggest that you purchase the base which slides under the spa.  It is like a rock.  Just be careful if you are mixing the manufacturers of the base and the umbrella to make sure they fit together.  The wind is very powerful sometimes and I think they need to work together.
Rich
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

bhziii

« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2007, 09:28:57 pm »
Hey Mez...can you take a picture of how you setup the umbrella.  I am in the same boat as PG.  The Texas heat is making my Jacuzzi go into summer logic and the 24 hr circ pump is not working during the day.

I have been looking at the Leisure Concepts, but can't get myself to fork the cash over. As a matter of fact, I went to one of the spa dealers and they have a floor model for 399.  The regular price is 499.  

My problem is that my wife is not a big fan of the bases that you need to put weights or sand bags on.  

thanks
b

Mez

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2007, 03:48:27 pm »
Hey Mez...can you take a picture of how you setup the umbrella.  I am in the same boat as PG.  The Texas heat is making my Jacuzzi go into summer logic and the 24 hr circ pump is not working during the day.

I have been looking at the Leisure Concepts, but can't get myself to fork the cash over. As a matter of fact, I went to one of the spa dealers and they have a floor model for 399.  The regular price is 499.  

My problem is that my wife is not a big fan of the bases that you need to put weights or sand bags on.  

thanks
b
I just went and snapped a few pics for you. As you can see, it has a cross hair type brace that I bolted down into the floor of my deck. If you look at the top of that section, note the 4 bolts at the bottom of the tube that connect it to the base. It is possible to avois using the cross brace by bolting this directly to the spa pad, deck or whatever, or you can even sink it down a little into the ground and anchor ir with concrete (or so I was told, not sure I would opt for that method. It is a 10' diameter and it is infinitly adjustable. It sways, pivots, tilts or any combination of the three. I paid $199 at Lowes for it compared to $500 to $800 at a pool/spa place.
We got this because the granite table didnt have a hole and I didnt want to try drilling one it and ruining the table and a counter top company wanted $150 to come do it and even then wouldnt guarantee it if they screwed it up...so, I opted for an offset umbrella.
On a side note: if you like the table and chairs, I got the set at Sams for $1000 a couple months ago...went there 3 days ago and they have them marked down to $799. It is a beautiful set, all aluminum with a granite top that weighs over 300 lbs! Bring a few friends if you get one :)

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 03:49:22 pm by Mez »

Richs100

• From a 1993 HS Prodigy to a 2006 HS Envoy
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 04:53:05 pm »
Paul:
Here's a shot of my set up. The stand slides under the tub.  I originally wanted it at the other side of the tub, but because the tub was shimmed at that end, the dealer said it should be at this end.  It turns out that when the umbrella is down, it makes a nice handrail for getting in and out of the tub.  Plus, because the umbrella swings, it can shade the tub or can shade the sitting area next to the tub.
Rich

« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 04:53:42 pm by Richs100 »
If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit next to me.

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2007, 04:53:05 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42