What's the Best Hot Tub

Author Topic: Cost of ownership broken down  (Read 5909 times)

Mez

Cost of ownership broken down
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:28:36 pm »
My wife and I had a discussion coming home from a restaraunt tonight. She said its getting late, I wont go soak tonight, are you? After having our tub for a week now, I said of course I am, I figured I could find 15 minutes out of my busy day to use it. I said after dropping $8k on the tub, pad and electric, I wanted to get good use out of thing. She agreed and said she would go as well.
Then I started thinking out loud. If I used it 15 minutes a day, 365 days a year, that would be 105 minutes a week or 91 hours a year. If the tub last me 10 years, 910 hours, into $8k, I figured about 9 dollars per hour, not counting electric, chems, maintenence..so I said $10.00 per hour. Assuming I dont use it daily, which I know I wont, say I make it in half that time...the price went to $20/hour. My wife called me anal retentive :) I had fun with it so I started thinking of other things.
Then I got home, looked at my 60 inch Sony 1080P TV my son had to have and figured if it last 10 years, it cost me a dollar a day. His jungle Jim in the backyard, if he plays on it 100 hours, cost $10.00 per hour for him to use. My house, if I stay in it for 30 years, taking in interest, but not tax breaks or resale, cost $28 a day. Thinking this way, my house is pretty much a bargain, as is the TV, the Jungle Jim is a rip off, its 2 years old and he might have 5 hours on it :)...and the Hot Tub......
worth every penny! :)

Hot Tub Forum

Cost of ownership broken down
« on: June 20, 2007, 10:28:36 pm »

2busymom

Re: Cost of ownership broken down
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2007, 11:15:39 pm »
"My wife called me anal retentive"

She's right!  You are AR! ;)  What kind of tub do you have?
2007 Marquis U630

ndabunka

• 2003 Jacuzzi J370 Platinum/Coastal Grey Synthetic
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2007, 11:22:01 pm »
What are you doing writing/thinking about all this for?  You have a perfectly good hot tub you could be relaxing in and enjoying in rather than fretting about a "few pennies a day".... Now, GET OUT THERE!!!
« Last Edit: June 20, 2007, 11:22:23 pm by ndabunka »
...The gene pool could use a little chlorine....

Quickly approaching a mid-life crisis one day at a time.

Mez

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2007, 06:30:00 am »
I know I am AR :)...sometimes the wheels just keep turning and its hard to shut them down! And Im not fretting over the money, lord knows I spend all we make and then some :) I just thought it might be interesting to break the cost down..hell, had I done that after leaving Red Lobster last night I probably wouldnt eat at that place again. :)
And @busymom...we got a Jacuzzi J-345...I actually wrote this last night after we had come in from our soak.

caribbeansun

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2007, 07:16:15 am »
Now, shouldn't you have considered the opportunity cost of not having the $8k to invest, oh and deduct taxes from that, present value those future values and you really should quanitfy all the chemicals, electrical and maintenance - I mean if you're going to do this you really should do it right  ;)

Bonibelle

• Global Moderator
  • Ultimate Member
  • '05 Marquis Epic
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2007, 08:42:27 am »
I think this was an awesome analysis! Because in the end it didn't matter anyway, Mez has his tub, he is going to enjoy it and he probably actually enjoyed compiling all this data!!
 :D
Last night my son invited a friend in the tub. We have rarely invited anyone in our tub other than family..this friend has EVERYTHING..she literally gets almost anything she wants. When my son was younger he used to tell me to go back to work so he could have  the cool stuff that she had..  Well, they jumped in the pool then warmed up in the tub (the air temp had dropped in the low 60's, so the tub was perfect). He showed her the cool lights, the waterfall and all the different seats and jets.  When she left he came to me beaming..."She loved the tub and said she was jealous..I can't believe I have something that impressed her!!"
That was priceless!!

Wait until next time...we'll really show her...We'll turn on the Soundsations.. ;D ;D ;D and serve Hank's Cream Soda!!
Support your dealer so they can support you!

stuart

• Ultimate Member
  • Big hairy guys need hottubs too...
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2007, 08:47:52 am »
Spa....$8K

Suits.....$60

Electrician....$800

Chemicals per year....$180

Cost of energy per year.....$280

Conversation with your family, stress relife and intimate moments with your spouse......PRICELESS!! 8-)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2007, 09:42:03 am »
.... I figured about 9 dollars per hour,

$4.5  per hour if you double your soak time to a half an hour.

$2.25  if you share the soak with somone.

bottom line? You could use the tub every day for 12 hours, and at the end of the day,  it still cost 8K.

Soaking outside in mid febuary, at night, in the middle of a snowstorm?

Priceless.

07 Caldera Geneva

Mez

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2007, 08:49:05 pm »
Now, shouldn't you have considered the opportunity cost of not having the $8k to invest, oh and deduct taxes from that, present value those future values and you really should quanitfy all the chemicals, electrical and maintenance - I mean if you're going to do this you really should do it right  ;)
That is puttting way too much thought into it...I am anal retentive, not obsessive compulsive! :)

tanstaafl2

• Keeping a close eye on the new spa...
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2007, 05:01:52 pm »
Spa....$8K

Suits.....$60

Electrician....$800

Chemicals per year....$180

Cost of energy per year.....$280

Conversation with yourself, stress relief and intimate moments with your harem......PRICELESS!!  8-)

---------------

Already saved some money...   ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2007, 05:40:42 pm by tanstaafl2 »
In hot water with my '06 Reflections Granada

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2007, 11:01:34 am »
Still cheaper than a  car, or a motorhome, or a boat, (or half a dozen other things)   and you have luxary vacation in your backyard, everyday, year round.

07 Caldera Geneva

Brookenstein

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2007, 12:05:48 pm »
Spa....$8K

Conversation with your family, stress relife and intimate moments with your spouse......PRICELESS!! 8-)

Cheeper, more relaxing than marriage counseling... and its like a massage with a happy ending every time.    :)

drewstar

• Mentor Level Member
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2007, 12:10:33 pm »

Cheeper, more relaxing than marriage counseling... and its like a massage with a happy ending every time.    :)

So that's why you go through so much shock!

07 Caldera Geneva

Renee

• '07 Jacuzzi J-365 in Nebraska
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2007, 12:11:24 pm »
Still cheaper than a  car, or a motorhome, or a boat, (or half a dozen other things)   and you have luxary vacation in your backyard, everyday, year round.

I agree...we sold my husband's disc jockey equipment and were debating what to use the proceeds for...something family oriented that we would all enjoy.  We thought about a camper, but that is only used a handful of times per year (especially here in Nebraska!)  Not to mention with the price of gas...we'd probably have to camp in our own driveway!  With a hot tub, it is something we will use several times per week, and we don't have to go to a hotel to use a "public" hot tub anymore.  We're also hoping it will relieve my husband's neck & back pain, and help with his inability to sleep at night.  In addition,  I'm looking forward to family time (without TV) in a hot tub!  There are so many advantages to a hot tub...

Mez...are you still pleased with your Jacuzzi purchase?  I think we're going to pull the trigger and buy the J-365 this week.   It was a close race with Hot Springs, but we like the 4 corner "captain" seat layout of the Jacuzzi better.  I also like the feel of the jets better.  And I can't wait for the foot mound, which is the main reason we're opting for the J365 over the J345.    Without the help of this board, it would have been tough to make an educated decision, so I appreciate all the input that everyone takes time to give!      
« Last Edit: June 25, 2007, 12:16:20 pm by rnblase »

anne

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 01:48:52 pm »
Mez, I did the same thing when I bought my tub!!! And the price of even cheap hotels used to bug me until I figured out what I spend to sleep in my own house every night...... :P

hm. Anal retentive, eh?

Dance like nobody's watching

Hot Tub Forum

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2007, 01:48:52 pm »

Home    Buying Guide    Featured Products    Forums    Reviews    About    Contact   
Copyright ©1998-2024, Whats The Best, Inc. All rights reserved. Site by Take 42